Technic GBC MOC: Track Wheel Reservoir

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Bellis

Mark Bellis

• PaB price investigator

Member: 910

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

Iíve not made very much GBC before but a track wheel was such a nice idea that I thought Iíd have a go:
Posted Image

I used 36 tracks, from Snowmobile 8272 and Bulldozer 8275, with pins on alternate track links to give a maximum 4 balls/second output. This can be reduced easily to the standard 1 ball/second by removing pins or reducing the motor belt drive pulley size. Itís great because itís a chute that doesnít clog up. The natural bounce of the track wheel with the 6-tooth sprocket drive prevents clogging. I reduced the inertia of the near axle by removing the other sprocket and relying on the two pulleys with tyres. The reservoir will take 80 balls and deliver them with no trouble.

I have a ball lifter device, based on transmission chain links, which would be ideal as the thing to feed with the output of the track wheel reservoir. It can add lots of height, so I could then make all kinds of nice stuff for the balls to fall through (before perhaps delivering them to another module at standard height).

Gallery when moderated: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=241800

If you canít wait for moderation to see the whole gallery, go to this link http://www.brickshel...ack_wheel01.jpg , and change the ď01Ē to any number up to ď09Ē.

Mark
Mark J E Bellis - 8mm Scale LEGO Railways, Scenery and Technic. Visit My Brickshelf.  My LEGO Technic BB-8 Droid
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

#2 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

What a fascinating contraption!  I've never heard of the Great Ball Contraption before, it's an interesting concept.  It looks like you've done a fantastic job with this  *y*

#3 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

Very interesting and still a beauty  8-|  (it looks a bit like the Stargate....). Cool work.  *y*

I was wondering too.... GBC.... I searched in Wikipedia and this is what I found (among others):
Green bean casserole, nahh....  :-P
But of course, Great Ball Contraption.... Yeah!
Posted Image  X-D

#4 Mark Bellis

Mark Bellis

• PaB price investigator

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:14 AM

View PostAsuka, on Mar 21 2007, 11:42 PM, said:

Very interesting and still a beauty  8-|  (it looks a bit like the Stargate....). Cool work.  *y*

I was wondering too.... GBC.... I searched in Wikipedia and this is what I found (among others):
Green bean casserole, nahh....  :-P
But of course, Great Ball Contraption.... Yeah!
Posted Image  X-D

Oops!  Jargon alert!  :-$

On Google I found there's a whole website devoted to it: http://www.greatballcontraption.com/

OK, I don't meet all the standards just yet http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/ , but I can always build a special bit at each end in order to interface with other people's modules, whilst building wild stuff on my own modules :-)

Mark
Mark J E Bellis - 8mm Scale LEGO Railways, Scenery and Technic. Visit My Brickshelf.  My LEGO Technic BB-8 Droid

#5 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for the information!  *y*

#6 Dark Brick

Dark Brick

Member: 1343

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:20 AM

Hey Mark, nice to meet you. Your GBC is quite intriguing. Very well thoughtout.
Seems like an engineer's dream machine. I wonder if this can be done on a  larger scale like some kind of layout with a theme like a pinball machine.

I am curious, is your background in physics, mathematics, or a discipline of engineering? Or all of the above?
Lets just say that "inertia" is not a word heard/typed here often.

You have definitely posted some very intriguing pieces on EB. It is nice to know that LEGOs can be used in more intelligent ways.

DB

#7 mutex

mutex

Member: 979

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Very interesting design! You must had a lot of fun building this thing.

Now , I'm more and more impatient of finishing must old lego so I can put myself to work building incredible contraptions like you.

I'm just wondering how can I cheaply get this much amount of soccer balls ?

#8 UniqueBuilder

UniqueBuilder

• Mr. Dark Ages

Member: 1075

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Pick A Brick or:

If you are interested in participating in this event, but do not have a reasonable suppily of balls for testing, (~20) please contact me, (steve@teamhassenplug.org) and I will provide them.

:-)

"I respect 50 Cent. He's the only person known to make 'me', 'me' and 'see' rhyme with the letter P."
-erikutt

The Dark Ages got me... Smell ya later!

#9 Mark Bellis

Mark Bellis

• PaB price investigator

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

View PostDark Brick, on Mar 22 2007, 03:20 AM, said:

Hey Mark, nice to meet you. Your GBC is quite intriguing. Very well thoughtout.
Seems like an engineer's dream machine. I wonder if this can be done on a  larger scale like some kind of layout with a theme like a pinball machine.

I am curious, is your background in physics, mathematics, or a discipline of engineering? Or all of the above?
Lets just say that "inertia" is not a word heard/typed here often.

You have definitely posted some very intriguing pieces on EB. It is nice to know that LEGOs can be used in more intelligent ways.
DB

The idea of GBC (see earlier links) is that several people make modules with a standard interface and then get together and display a ball-run layout.  Someone also made an entire pinball machine with a few RCXs http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=154358

I'm an electronics and safety engineer by trade, but I think I was born an engineer because I always wanted to know how everything worked.  I have now learned to temper my curiosity by not taking apart anything I can't put back together!  Whilst electronics is my first degree, I branch out a bit into mechanical stuff, primarily in LEGO.  The safety part (my MSc) means I have to think how things might fail and ensure that the possible failures and their effects have been considered in the design.  For instance, it led to me placing plates in strategic places on the GBC model to prevent balls straying off the track.

I hope enough people understand inertia :-)

I bought about 300 balls in Pick-a-Brick a while ago, for just this purpose.  I filled a tall PaB tub because it was before PaB was sold by weight at Legoland Windsor.  Besides, I think footballs are probably cheaper by volume than by weight.

I'll have to take some pictures of my ball lifter.  I also made a double see-saw device that splits the balls into two streams alternately.  A ball falls onto the lower see-saw, which tips the upper see-saw to send the next ball in the other direction.  This is useful when the ball reservoir can put out more balls than the 1 ball per second standard!

A lot of the models I make are mechanisms rather than complete MOCs, particularly the Technic ones.  My hope is that lots of people will use my brickshelf gallery http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?m=mbellis as a resource.

One reason I have been so prolific recently is that I have had the privilege of helping the LEGO company with electronics for the Power Functions sets.  Once we were cleared to share information about the new elements I felt it was my duty to let fans know as much as possible, and to see the parts in action.

Mark

#10 Dark Brick

Dark Brick

Member: 1343

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the background Mike. I figured technical background was what you have. Anyway it is nice to see that you can make LEGOs more engaging than the mere toy that they appear to be. Personally I do not do too much of that or rather much of MOCing in general due to lack of time and other hobbies. Maybe when I retire I will have the chance to make my own GBC. X-D

DB

#11 Mark Bellis

Mark Bellis

• PaB price investigator

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

View PostDark Brick, on Mar 27 2007, 04:34 AM, said:

Thanks for the background Mike. I figured technical background was what you have. Anyway it is nice to see that you can make LEGOs more engaging than the mere toy that they appear to be. Personally I do not do too much of that or rather much of MOCing in general due to lack of time and other hobbies. Maybe when I retire I will have the chance to make my own GBC. X-D
DB

The name's Mark  ;-)

Here's a video of the GBC module:

My YouTube channel (with other MOC videos): http://www.youtube.c...bellisbrickmocs

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users