Bricktrix

MOC: Class 116 DMU

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

As I was never really happy with the last generic 60's style DMU that I built, and our adventure into DCC operation is proving do-able although extensive in conversion, I have been heavily inspired by the sounds of a model on Pete Watermans o-gauge layout of a class 116 DMU, so thought I'd give it a shot to build in LEGO and convert over to DCC with the sounds. (I would in no way have been able to get the DCC side of it done without the expert help of 2 friends of mine, Richard and Mike. Their help and effort into making this work with soldering, choosing resistor values, relays needed, etc, has been fantastic and very much appreciated)......I just built the thing to be able to take apart in easy sections to get to the wiring, speakers, lights, etc.!

So this is the final result:

0s.jpg

2as.jpg

6s.jpg

The above cab ends pictured show the last 2 combinations that I'm trying to decide on using. I've gone through maybe 20 different variations of cheese slopes / no cheese, to try and achieve the right (or near enough!) look, this is the version I'm going to go with now, but still undecided if to use the stickers or not. The one furthest from shot uses no stickers for the "whiskers", the one nearest in shot uses stickers over the cheese slopes to enhance the shape of the "whiskers". Me being me, I'm drawn to the sticker version and will probably end up going with this? The 1x1 dark grey plate visible on the side of the drivers cab door is the only part in this build that is not obtainable in dark green (as its a modified plate with clip / o ring used to hold the 1x4 tile in place).......so if I go with sticker usage, then I'm tempted to also cover this plate with a dark green sticker!

Below is a video of the available sound functions whilst stationary.....obviously when in motion the motors also rev up, along with track "click-clack" flange squeel and brake squeel.

I will get some videos of it running on my display at STEAM in the next few weeks.

The next video shows how we have made the interior cab light come on in direction of travel, and off in reverse (on both ends) whilst changing over the direction lights from white to red.....as there are no bi-polar led's in white and red (only green and red) this has been a hurdle to overcome, especially as I'm only connecting 2 wires through the run of carriages and the soundchips require 3 wires to activate the changeover easily...hence never have been able to have done this without my 2 friends :)

For the techies, its using a South West Digital class 108 recorded onto a Loksound V4 soundchip......and then weeks upon weeks of changing cv settings to get it to run smoothly and sync the sounds up with speed, etc....sometimes I just dunno why I do this!

Carl

very very nice

had just seen passing the pictures on flickr

for the poste here

waauw

Edited by patje

Love your work so much, wish i could buy some of those locos you make even the plans for them. I have even just tryed to copy your class 37, but your skill surpass mine very hard to replicate. But the DCC sound love it. I run sound in my N scale farish locos what i installed seeing your vids just makes me want to put Sound into my lego now.

Edited by Lazarus

At first sight i thought...this can't be Lego.. but it is... Really cool and wonderfull detailing. Waiting for the day i can spent a complete day on Lego..... and maybe create my own loco.....

Greetz! LegoSjaak

This just looks so real and the sound adds to the realism. Does it make the proper sound as the train moves off and stops or is that a bit much to ask for?

Thank you all for the comments :classic:

Hrw-Amen, ooh yeah it does, its taken a few weeks to sync the sound speeds to the motor speeds, but yeah it now sounds awesome in motiion. Engine revs,changes gear, track click-clack and flange squeel if wanted, also brake squeel when slowing down. I'll try and get some videos of it running at the STEAM show in the next few weeks.....which brings me to my next point;

LegoSjaak, yep couldnt agree more, need to treat myself to a new camera / vid thingy this christmas I think :wink:

Lazarus, Thanks for the praise, I like what you have done with your 37 (in the new colours also) although I'm not keen on the windscreen. Some guys have used this part to very good effect http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6583 it may be an option to consider at 6 wide. Funnily enough, I've been looking at my old class 37 and 40 in the last week as to how to make them 7 wide and build DCC into them, so expect to see this happen over the next12 months :wink:

Carl

Bricktrix, this is great. The green color is spot on. I had to look for photos of the original in order to really appreciate your model:

1280px-56208_and_51935_at_Bewdley.JPG

Good job. :thumbup:

Bricktrix, this is great. The green color is spot on. I had to look for photos of the original in order to really appreciate your model:

Good job. :thumbup:

Thank you. That pic looks more like a 108.

This is the model its supposed to be :

DMBS1.jpg

Everytime I see your models I wonder how you get them that accurately. The sound fits the engine very nicely too - it adds some realism to it.

Well done :thumbup: !

One of best trains I`ve seen. Just fantastic model. It really looks like plstic model not lego MOC. Well it is plastic model :laugh:

Amazing work. And those details are great. I envy your simple but brilliant ideas for solving problems with the details. I really like the solution for the oil tile on the grill.

Well done! I like this because it doesn't look like a Lego model at first glance-- it looks like a detailed scale model. The details from the door handles down to the underbody hoses and equipment are just amazing. And of couse I can't forget to congratulate you on integrating the DCC with sound, etc. I love Lego models with DCC and all its possibilities integrated.

--Rob

Completely awesome work. The effort, time & skill that went into the sound chip hurts my head just thinking about it!

Sorry to resurrect an aging thread, but perhaps appropriate as I am aging myself-- but, I'm not gray, yet. But, right now, I admit, I feel a bit out to pasture. ;-)

Catching up to speed from years of idling by... this is a fantastic model. Stunning, irrespective of the passage if time.

I have a lot of browsing to do of amazing MOCs. So glad to see such care, talent, encouragement, and enthusiasm persist, evolve, and revolutionize train building with LEGO. Hopefully, an old old dog can learn some new "Trix".

Aloha,

James

This is amazing work. I started on these DMUs when I was first on BR. You've captured it really well. They were so old & worn-out we had to use the foil from a cigarette packet or a Kit-Kat wrapper to replace the missing fuses in the guard's van to give the driver the ready-to-start signal. They could still do a good job though.

Edited by galacticslave