MOC "HMS Interceptor"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic  – Started by Wellington , Sep 07 2013 08:40 PM

#1 Wellington

Wellington

Member: 2858

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Ahoy everyone!

I want to show you my version of the HMS Interceptor from POTC. This moc is intended to match in approximate proportions the official Lego-sets (rather than being a MOC in minifig illusion scale). My aim was also to not use a too excessive amount of pieces. Anyway I tried to use some ship-building techniques which can be seen here in the forum and I'm quite satisfied with the result so far. Until now I can only show you the LDD-images, more detailed pictures will follow when the ship is built in real bricks. :sweet:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What would the ship be without a crew. Commodore Norrington is also already aboard. :grin:
Posted Image

Comments und tips for improvement are always welcome. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Wellington

#2 Matteo1130

Matteo1130

Member: 7576

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

Your brig is well done.. but it seems a bit out of proportions: I would try to add a couple mid sections and a section to the bowsprit. This will make more realistic the length/tallness proportion and you'll have a higher numer of guns.

#3 Wellington

Wellington

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

Matteo1130, on 08 September 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

Your brig is well done.. but it seems a bit out of proportions: I would try to add a couple mid sections and a section to the bowsprit. This will make more realistic the length/tallness proportion and you'll have a higher numer of guns.

Thank's for your reply. You're right that the ship is a bit out of proportions but it had to match roughly the length of my MOD/MOC of the Lego-BP and thus it had to be at least a bit shorter than the BP. Furthermore both ships are a bit like caricatures of the real ones. :grin:

Here's an LDD-Image of my beloved BP MOD/MOC (which will be improved in the future). :grin:
Posted Image

But nevertheless I'm really considering to trade off the lenght difference between the two ships for better balanced proportions of the Interceptor. :thumbup:

Best regards,
Wellington

#4 Mutant Orc

Mutant Orc

Member: 60515

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

I agree that the interceptor needs to be tweaked.

Have you made the Flying Dutchman and the Endeavour??
"Rivers of Blood, and Mountains of Corpses will not stand in my way!"- Dragon Woman from 47 Ronin
"...Ten fold..!" - Captain Fuller
"Cuttlefish. Eh? Let us not, dear friends, forget our dear friends the cuttlefish..." - Jack Sparrow
"Where is my goddamn shoe?!" - Hannibal Chau

#5 Wellington

Wellington

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

Mutant Orc, on 08 September 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Have you made the Flying Dutchman and the Endeavour??

No, I haven't made neither the Dutchman nor the Endeavour so far. Honestly I never liked the Flying Dutchman's design and thus I'm not keen on building it. But I could image to build the Endeavour in the future (although it should be difficult to downsize a first rate ship of the line so that in terms of size the official Lego sets wouldn't look too ridiculous when standing side by side).

Best regards,
Wellington

#6 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Very nice :thumbup:  I especially like the colourscheme and the stern details.
IMO, there are a few things which could improve this ship. First of all, I think the headrails/figurehead part is a bit too large.
Secondly, I would remove the lowest yard of the foremast as it doesn't belong there.
Finally, it might look nice if the stern was a bit sloped/overhanging. But that's just a minor issue.

Nevertheless, she's coming along very nicely. Promising!
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#7 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Looks great so far. Might I get an LFX file so I could take a closet look at this ship? So that I could say what needs improvement..

Captain Becker
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links