Sandy

Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis ~ Day Two

cat-logo.jpg

DAY TWO ~ DAWN OF THE DEAD

At the crack of dawn, Scheherazade is the first one up, as usual. As she enters the main hall, she sees the body of Heron Jujube lying on the floor.

catdaytwo1.jpg

heroicanpc-scheherazade.jpg

"You've got to be kidding me. I just mopped up this floor!"

Muttering curses, the matron goes to summon the Veterans. They investigate the cleric and find him to be loyal to Heroica.

catdaytwo2.jpg

heroicanpc-sandqueen.jpg

"Such a shame to lose another young promise..."

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"The blood-splatters all across the hall suggest that Heron wasn't the only one who got attacked last night."

heroicanpc-copperfox.jpg

"Umm, guys..."

The Copper Fox points behind the others. The Fenarian, Retak Ysp, is standing there with someone the Veterans didn't expect to see up and about this morning.

catdaytwo3.jpg

catava-necromancer.jpg

"What?! I'm a necromancer, dammit!"

The rest of the heroes start to wake up as well, and soon the Hall is filled with little groups quietly recounting the events of the last night. Some slept like babies, while others had fierce encounters with the same people that were now nonchalantly chatting away with the rest of them.

catdaytwo4.jpg

Wandering about the Hall, some heroes stumble into the Library, where Byblos shows them a book he had been studying all night.

catdaytwo5.jpg

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Glad you are here! I've been searching every book about angels I could find for a reference about a fallen one called Lucifuge, and now I think I finally got one! There is a chapter on myths related to Ennoc and his angels in this first edition of Mythica Historica, and I think I found a passage about the angel we are up against. However, most of the letters have been wiped away by time. Can you help me to fill them in?"

BYBLOS THE LIBRARIAN'S CHALLENGE #1:

Help Byblos complete the sentence below by filling in missing letters. Send your suggestion privately to the host within this phase to receive bonus experience if you are correct. You get one try.

"O-e --g-l i- h-s -r-de re--se- t- b-c--e - g--rd-a- -o - si--le -ort-l bei--. H- --cam- t-- -irs- an--l t- f-ll -ro- E---c'- -ra-e, -n- too- --e na-- Lu-ifu-e, T-- L--htsh---e-."

RULES:

1. ALIGNMENTS: There are two sides in this game, trying to beat each other.
Heroica
wins if they manage to find and kill all of the Nephilim.
The Nephilim
win if they outnumber the heroes loyal to Heroica. The Nephilim know each other, but the others don’t know who the Nephilim are. There are also
neutral
players, who have their own special victory conditions.

2. PHASES: The game is played in two alternating phases - "Days" and "Nights", both lasting up to
48 hours
- during which the players can use their abilities on each other. All players can
use one ability per phase
. During the
Night
-phase, the game is played through Private Messages between the host and the players, and all actions are private, revealed only to the target. During the
Day
-phase, all actions are public, and are shown in the Day-topic to everyone. Ranged attacks and spells are an
exception
, their performer is never revealed.

3. RESULTS: The results of the abilities are tallied
at the beginning
(for Night-actions)
and the end
(for Day-actions)
of the Day-phase
. When a player’s health is completely depleted, they are
killed off
from the game. The player who delivered the killing blow will get all of the victim’s gold and items, and gain experience (see
Leveling Up
). The alignment of each killed player is revealed when they die. Anyone who kills a Nephilim will gain
50 extra gold
from the Veterans.

4. STATISTICS:
Level
signifies the player character’s overall experience.
Health
is initially equal to level, and attacks reduce it while healing restores it.
Ether
is equal to about a half of the level, and is used for spellcasting, healing and scroll-reading.
Defense
is gained from shields and most artefacts, and it reduces the damage taken.
WP
means weapon power, while
SP
means shield power. All statistics except Level are kept a secret from other players.

5. ABILITIES: All player characters have their
own sets
of 3-6 abilities they can use during the game, related to their job classes. These skills include (but are not limited to) attacks, spellcasting, healing, tracking, stealing items, blocking, buffing, debilitating and using items. To best make use of these varied skills, the players should consider forming alliances.

6. ITEMS: All players start out with
10 gold
, a
weapon
with 2-6 WP and a random array of
other items
, such as restorative potions, artefacts and tools. Like the statistics, these inventories are kept as a secret from other players. During the Day-phases of the game, upgrades and more items can be bought from
Sham Poo
in exchange for gold. You are free to trade items with other players, but you need to notify the host whenever you do that.

7. LEVELING UP: Gaining a
level
increases
the player character’s current and maximum
health and ether by 1
. When a player kills another player, they will gain experience according to this chart:

- Level 1-9: a full level

- Level 10-19: 1/2 of a level

- Level 20-29: 1/3 of a level

- Level 30-39: 1/4 of a level

- Level 40 onwards: 1/5 of a level

8. ELEMENTS & EFFECTS: There are five
elements
in the game: fire, ice, lighting, light and darkness. Elemental spells and attacks are twice as effective as normal attacks, but consume ether. They can also be blocked with the right piece of equipment. There are both
positive and negative effects
in the game as well, including encouraged, enforced, stunned, poison, sleep, blinded, sealed, confused and enamored. These can be inflicted by certain abilities and scrolls. Negative effects last until removed by a Remedy or a suitable ability.

9. BEHAVIOR: When you play this game, you are bound by honor to your alignment – even if it changes mid-game. That is why you
must not discuss the game
outside of the topics and PMs related to it, under the threat that you are instantly killed off if you do. Sharing information via PMs and forming alliances between the players is allowed, but must be done by knowing the risk that the other might be lying or deceiving you. Things will get brutal and cut-throat in this game, and you can get killed off at any time, but any of that is not to be taken as a personal insult. Please
at all times to ensure that your player persona is separated from your real self. Remember that
the dead don't talk
, so once you are out of the game, you must not speak of what you know to anyone until the whole game is over.
You are free to roleplay with your character, and most of all, have fun!

PLAYER CHARACTERS:

catava-paladin.jpgBrienne Deercourt (Brickdoctor) ~ 29 years old female human Paladin

catava-rogue.jpgCalico Meatpie (CallMePie) ~ 16 years old female halfling Rogue

catava-cleric2.jpgCapriccia Gianpaolo (Capt.JohnPaul) ~ 123 years old female vampire Cleric

catava-warden.jpgCorelin Moordog (CorneliusMurdock) ~ 282 years old female dwarf Warden

catava-harlot.jpgCromeo Nightingale (Chromeknight) ~ 22 years old male half-elf Harlot

catava-ranger3.jpgDoranee Grandeur (Dragonator) ~ 44 years old female elf Ranger

catava-cleric3.jpgEin Surefoot (Esurient) ~ 397 years old male dwarf Cleric

catava-knight2.jpgEmmanuelle Janus (emjajoas) ~ 33 years old female human Knight

catava-evoker.jpgEnya Dorgamel (Endgame) ~ 23 years old female human Evoker

catava-sorcerer.jpgEris (Eric Su) ~ 26 years old female orc Sorcerer

catava-barbarian2.jpgEzeal (Etzel) ~ 28 years old male werelion Barbarian

catava-shaman.jpgFernandu Elysiam (Fred Daniel Yam) ~ 36 years old male minotaur Shaman

catava-wingedwarrior.jpgFleyra (Flare) ~ 29 years old female Rito Winged Warrior

catava-infiltrator.jpgGeosmos Phiephyrphoe (joeshmoe554) ~ 52 years old male cyclops Infiltrator

catava-ranger.jpgJeddam Ashenbow (Jedi master Brick) ~ 25 years old female hobgoblin Ranger

catava-knight.jpgJinnipher Buchaire (JimButcher) ~ 71 years old female elf Knight

catava-beastwarrior.jpgKharybdis (Kadabra) ~ 26 years old female Octopial Beast Warrior

catava-witch.jpgLorth-Anoob (LordoftheNoobs) ~ 42 years old female Pantanan Witch

catava-alchemist.jpgLuridan Voros (Lord Duvors) ~ 53 years old male gremlin Alchemist

catava-rogue2.jpgMaxi Ebdul (Masked Builder) ~ 35 years old male Asteriad Rogue

catava-regulator.jpgO’Blix (-obelix-) ~ 27 years old male goblin Regulator

catava-druid.jpgPallas Thaddicus (Palathadric) ~ 103 years old male Lucustoid Druid

catava-barbarian.jpgPanduin Oreheart (Pandora) ~ 148 years old male dwarf Barbarian

catava-ranger2.jpgPercival Montmartre (Peppermint_M) ~ 24 years old male human Ranger

catava-battlemage.jpgPiro the Visionary (Pyrovisionary) ~ 227 years old male wereturtle Battle Mage

catava-necromancer.jpgRetak Ysp (PsyKater) ~ 2013 years old male Fenarian Necromancer

catava-skirmisher.jpgSir Rubinstein (Rumble Strike) ~ 47 years old male human Skirmisher

catava-minstrel.jpgScamander Taurros (Scubacarrot) ~ 34 years old male satyr Minstrel

catava-mysticknight.jpgShadir Oswain (Shadows) ~ 466 years old male elf Mystic Knight

catava-raider.jpgSkrupp Oxstrong (Scorpiox) ~ 30 years old male norseman Raider

catava-berserker.jpgSwinehurst (swils) ~ 31 years old male porc Berserker

catava-cannoneer.jpgTheodor Legion (The Legonater) ~ 73 years old male human Cannoneer

catava-dragoon.jpgU’dargan (Darkdragon) ~ 29 years old male U’kin Dragoon

catava-chimonk.jpgUsharnam Madima (UsernameMDM) ~ 38 years old male Naga Chi Monk

catava-assassin.jpgWerther Brickton (Waterbrick Down) ~ 49 years old male zombie Assassin

catava-hunter.jpgWeyrdág (Wedge09) ~ 341 years old female Nôrn Hunter

catava-sage.jpgZarissa Curie (Zakura) ~ 58 years old female gnome Sage

catava-artisan.jpgZelphie (Zepher) ~ 815 years old female fairy Artisan

catava-blackknight.jpgZpilf (Flipz) ~ 85 years old male ogre Black Knight

DEAD CHARACTERS:

catavadead-mage.jpgKob (Kintobor) ~ 21 years old male orc Mage ~ Heroica (killed on Day One, raised as an undead on Night One)

catavadead-mage2.jpgPauline Jillian Boyle (Purpearljellyblob) ~ 18 years old female Mopag Mage ~ Heroica (killed on Day One)

catavadead-cleric.jpgHeron Jujube (herrJJ) ~ 19 years old male human Cleric ~ Heroica (killed on Night One)

SHAM POO’S EMERGENCY SHOP FOR HEROES IN NEED:

heroicanpc-shampoo.jpg"You can visit my shop any time during the day! Remember that buying stuff only costs you gold, so you won't spend your action by doing business with me."

Weapons:

Axe
(WP:1, melee weapon) – Costs 10 gold

Bow
(WP:1, ranged weapon) – Costs 10 gold

Dagger

Handcannon

Hammer

Instrument

Spear

Staff

Sword

Whip

Shield
(SP:1, defensive equipment) – Costs 10 gold

Artefacts:

Flameproof Armor
(Artefact: +1 SP, nullifies fire-elemental damage.) – Costs 25 gold

Warm Boots
(Artefact: +1 SP, nullifies ice-elemental damage.) – Costs 25 gold

Conductor Helmet
(Artefact: +1 SP, nullifies lightning-elemental damage.) – Costs 25 gold

Sunglasses
(Artefact: +1 SP, nullifies light-elemental damage.) – Costs 25 gold

Shadow Cloak
(Artefact: +1 SP nullifies darkness-elemental damage.) – Costs 25 gold

Counterstrike Gloves
(Artefact: allows you to instantly counter a close-ranged attack if you survive it, damaging your attacker equal to the damage you received.) – Costs 25 gold

Gems & Scrolls:

Ruby
(Gem: allows casting fire-elemental spells) – Costs 15 gold

Opal
(Gem: allows casting ice-elemental spells) – Costs 15 gold

Topaz
(Gem: allows casting lightning-elemental spells) – Costs 15 gold

Diamond
(Gem: allows casting light-elemental spells) – Costs 15 gold

Amethyst
(Gem: allows casting darkness-elemental spells) – Costs 15 gold

Scroll of Sleep
(Scroll: prevents target from taking action and seeing who targets them until woken up by an attack. Costs 1 ether to use.) – Costs 30 gold

Scroll of Blinding
(Scroll: prevents target from performing attacks and seeing who targets them. Costs 1 ether to use.) – Costs 30 gold

Scroll of Sealing
(Scroll: prevents target from performing ether-based actions. Costs 1 ether to use.) – Costs 30 gold

Scroll of Confusion
(Scroll: causes target’s actions to hit a random person with a 1/2 chance. Costs 1 ether to use.) – Costs 30 gold

Consumable Items:

Potion
(Consumable: restores full health to target when used.) – Costs 5 gold

Tonic
(Consumable: restores full ether to target when used.) – Costs 10 gold

Remedy
(Consumable: removes negative effects from target when used.) – Costs 5 gold

Venom
(Consumable: causes poison to the target, depleting it’s health by 1 per every phase when used.) – Costs 15 gold

Bomb
(Consumable: causes 10 damage to the target from a distance when used.) – Costs 20 gold

Phoenix
Essence
(Consumable: revives a dead person with full health when used.) – Costs 100 gold

Grating Stone
(Consumable: increases a weapon’s WP by 1 when used) – Costs 25 gold

Bright Polish
(Consumable: increases a shield’s or an artefact’s SP by 1 when used.) – Costs 25 gold.

Level-Up Mushroom
(Consumable: gain a level when used.) – Costs 50 gold

Tools:

Bedroll
(Tool: restores full health and ether and removes negative effects whenever used.) – Costs 20 gold

Telescope
(Tool: allows the user to see all actions aimed at the target on the current phase whenever used.) – Costs 40 gold

Magnifying Glass
(Tool: allows the user to see the target’s alignment whenever used.) – Costs 60 gold

Zpilf Hides. "Back in a mo'ent," he mutters.

I Cover Calico Meatpie (CallMePie).

It looks like Heron was probably a kill the scum considered safe, not being prominently active or suspicious and thus unlikely to watched, protected, healed, etc., who would have low HP. And I assume that Kob is raised as part of Retak's power, not as an independent hero, because he's still listed among the dead.

So, what was the result of Yesterday's investigation?

Kharybdis uses an Extra Critical Attack on Piro the Visionary. Explanation momentarily.

Kob not sure what to think. Kob dead, but Kob not dead. Kob almost with Tarok, but necromancer resurrect Kob at last minute. Kob like to know where Ezrael is. Kob like to strangle him, if master allows.

We launched an attack on Piro last night that should have killed him (4 HP overkill, in fact) based on numerous red flags he raised, including discussion of the situation outside of the Hall and being on the scum list of confirmed Hallie Pauline, who is known to have excellent intuition in these scenarios. Despite this he survived, and seeing as no sane Hallie would Cover him we are acting in the assumption that he is Nephilim."

And I assume that Kob is raised as part of Retak's power, not as an independent hero, because he's still listed among the dead.

Kob not sure what to think. Kob dead, but Kob not dead. Kob almost with Tarok, but necromancer resurrect Kob at last minute. Kob like to know where Ezrael is. Kob like to strangle him, if master allows.

I stand corrected.

Luridan goes into the saloon, orders something to eat, and gets something that looks like a fish on a bed of wilted spinach. Making the best of it he eats the spinach, slips the fish down the back of Skrupp Oxstrong's shirt, Buys an axe from Sham Poo, Gives a bomb to Kharybdis, jerks over to his Trolly-cum-laboratory, and starts to make a Mixture.

:pir_yoda:

Edited by Lord Duvors

It seems important to note that I was attacked last night by a magic user. Any idea who that might be?

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by The Legonater

And I assume that Kob is raised as part of Retak's power, not as an independent hero, because he's still listed among the dead.

Kob is dead. Kob cannot contribute to discussion, but Kob is still here. Kob ask master if Kob can get beverage and find place to sit.

Kob is dead. Kob cannot contribute to discussion, but Kob is still here. Kob ask master if Kob can get beverage and find place to sit.

I see.

It seems important to note that I was attacked last night by a magic user. Any idea who that might be?

EDIT: Typo.

"Hol' on, I have a spreadsheet notebook trackin' e'ryone's known an' lik'ly 'bilities. Lemme take a look."

"By any chance, would ya happen ta know tha elemen' o' tha attack?"

"I believe the Orc is no longer an active hero with actions available, but a mere observer now. It is interesting that we may have found our first Nephilm, and the reasoning is sound. In case it needs more of us to attack, I shall Phalanx Attack Piro the Visionary.

I am also saddened you were targeted, Theodor. Yesterday you spoke much sense, which may be why you were attacked. Cowards."

We launched an attack on Piro last night that should have killed him (4 HP overkill, in fact) based on numerous red flags he raised, including discussion of the situation outside of the Hall and being on the scum list of confirmed Hallie Pauline, who is known to have excellent intuition in these scenarios. Despite this he survived, and seeing as no sane Hallie would Cover him we are acting in the assumption that he is Nephilim."

"Ayup," adds Calico brightly from atop a nearby tabletop, swinging her whip to and fro before cracking it at Piro the Visionary.

"Hol' on, I have a spreadsheet notebook trackin' e'ryone's known an' lik'ly 'bilities. Lemme take a look."

"By any chance, would ya happen ta know tha elemen' o' tha attack?"

All I know is it was a light-element. Blasted thing caught me by surprise.

All I know is it was a light-element. Blasted thing caught me by surprise.

"That so, Oldster?" questioned the halfling, sliding into a barstool once she'd taken a crack at Piro. "Huh. Same element that almost, like, fried me yesterday. It was close to the point where I'm pretty damn sure there are scum among us lookin' my way and thinking 'oh, man, we, like, totally suck at killing people'. In addition, of course, to this," added the rogue with a grumble, indicating the bullet wound in her side. "Which, by the way, I think could use some healing..."

"Woah. What is happening?" Capriccia gasps as a fight breaks out. "We have not had much discussion about Piro... er.. publicly at least. Can you explain? Heroes shouldn't be afraid to talk about this in the open unless they have something to hide. though Calico seems to trust you guys I think."

Capriccia heals Calico Meatpie. (CallMePie)

"Thanks, Fangs," grins Calico as she's patched up. "Think Khary did a fair job of explaining things. Piro's totally, like, scumming it up."

Kob find all this interesting. Kob would love to comment, but Kob is currently focused on getting flies out of mortal wound.

Can you explain? Heroes shouldn't be afraid to talk about this in the open unless they have something to hide.

Are you even listening to what's being said?

"That so, Oldster?" questioned the halfling, sliding into a barstool once she'd taken a crack at Piro. "Huh. Same element that almost, like, fried me yesterday. It was close to the point where I'm pretty damn sure there are scum among us lookin' my way and thinking 'oh, man, we, like, totally suck at killing people'. In addition, of course, to this," added the rogue with a grumble, indicating the bullet wound in her side. "Which, by the way, I think could use some healing..."

That looks bad, kid. I've seen some nasty injuries over the years, 'course, but I still know a handcannon wound when I see one. It's a bit of a specialized weapon, though, isn't it? Does anyone here know of anyone else that has one?

"Self importance, hmmmm..."

:pir_yoda:

Edited by Lord Duvors

Are you even listening to what's being said?

"Errr... yes. I'm simply wanting to know why he was suspicious. I apologize, but I do not remember a thing yesterday about Piro raising red flags. I would like to see this scum-list."