Sandy

Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis: Discussion

cat-logo.jpg

The Heroes' Gallery at Heroica Hall.

Pictures of every hero that had ever served in Heroica were hanging here, in memory of the lives dedicated to promoting heroism around the world. The anniversary festivities had reminded The Dragonlord, arguably the most influential of the Veterans of Heroica, of the events that took place two years ago. There was certainly a lot to celebrate after the organization survived the catastrophe that struck them. So many great heroes were lost during those dark days, so much potential wasted and lives thrown away in vain... All because of some otherworldly entity hell-bent on destroying Heroica.

But yes, despite losing almost all of their members in a matter of days, Heroica had survived, and was now thriving stronger than ever. The Dragonlord was so lost in thought he did not even notice as two of the newer recruits entered the Gallery. The werehyena glances warily at his friend the Metasimian before tapping the Veteran on the shoulder.

catprologue1.jpg

heroicanpc-scaro2.jpg

"Sorry, Dragonman. It me, Scaro. And this Hoptet. Remember us?"

heroicanpc-hoptet.jpg

"Ahem, let me, Scaro. We are here to inspire... I'm sorry, inquire you about the Nephilim you mentioned at the Lottery. We asked my kinsman Byblos, but he refused to talk about the topic. Can you ignite... sorry, enlighten us?"

heroicanpc-scaro2.jpg

"Yeah, what he say."

The Veteran lets out a heavy sigh.

catprologue2.jpg

heroicanpc-dragonlord.jpg

"What the hell. Perhaps it's finally time to tell the tale. Let's head to Scheherazade's Saloon where we can sit down, as it ain't a short story."

Once they were seated comfortably with goblets of mulled wine in front of them, The Dragonlord began.

heroicanpc-dragonlord.jpg

"About two and a half years ago, a group of Heroica heroes went on a quest to explore the Doomsayer’s Island. They returned in time, but they brought something with them. An ancient curse, the very same that took over the old dwarven mage. It almost destroyed Heroica for good, causing the death of many great heroes, but in the end we emerged victorious.

This is the story of how it all went down…

The first thing we noticed was a few heroes going missing and turning up dead near the Hall. But Eubric being what it is, we thought of the cases as unfortunate coincidences. It wasn’t until one of us Veterans, the ever-so-stoic elf Lothoros Eldar, was murdered inside the Hall that we understood someone had taken our organization as their target.

catprologue3.jpg

That night, the Sand Queen had a vision of dark wings descending upon Heroica Hall. And true enough, we received a letter addressed to us Veterans.

catprologue4.jpg

The letter read:

The Dark Angel
Lucifuge
has awoken from his slumber, and his hatred towards Heroica burns still strong as ever. He has sent us Nephilim to deliver his retribution, and we will not rest until we see every last of the so-called heroes of Heroica dead. This means we will take our own lives in the end. This is the will of the Dark Angel Lucifuge, and he is merciless in his wrath.

I still shudder when I think back on those words, for it really was cruel what it forced us to do: to seek out the murderers from among our own ranks. We decided that torture was out of the question, so our only option was to lock all present members of our organization inside the Hall until we either discovered the culprits or perished in our attempt. At least we could keep outsiders from getting harmed that way.

catprologue5.jpg

So began the cruel quest of seeking out those calling themselves the Nephilim from amongst us before we were all dead by their hand."

~~~~~

Welcome to the Discussion-topic for Heroica RPG's Second Anniversary event game, titled Cruel Angel's Thesis ~ Downfall of Heroes! This game is not your typical quest, but a mixture of roleplaying elements and Mafia games, pitting players against each other for a bloody deathmatch. The game is open to all Eurobricks members, with no previous experience in either Heroica RPG or Mafia required.

In order to join the game, all you need to do is read the rules below and post into this topic that you understand the rules and want to play it. The game will last a few weeks, so you also must be able to post daily during that time period. I hope to be able to include as many players as possible to make the game last longer, so if you are unsure and have questions about the game, don't be afraid to ask them here in this same topic!

The sign-ups will end on Monday, the 26th of August.

RULES:

1. ALIGNMENTS: There are two sides in this game, trying to beat each other.
Heroica
wins if they manage to find and kill all of the Nephilim.
The Nephilim
win if they outnumber the heroes loyal to Heroica. The Nephilim know each other, but the others don’t know who the Nephilim are. There are also
neutral
players, who have their own special victory conditions.

2. PHASES: The game is played in two alternating phases - "Days" and "Nights", both lasting up to
48 hours
- during which the players can use their abilities on each other. All players can
use one ability per phase
. During the
Night
-phase, the game is played through Private Messages between the host and the players, and all actions are private, revealed only to the target. During the
Day
-phase, all actions are public, and are shown in the Day-topic to everyone. Ranged attacks and spells are an
exception
, their performer is never revealed.

3. RESULTS: The results of the abilities are tallied
at the beginning
(for Night-actions)
and the end
(for Day-actions)
of the Day-phase
. When a player’s health is completely depleted, they are
killed off
from the game. The player who delivered the killing blow will get all of the victim’s gold and items, and gain experience (see
Leveling Up
). The alignment of each killed player is revealed when they die. Anyone who kills a Nephilim will gain
50 extra gold
from the Veterans.

4. STATISTICS:
Level
signifies the player character’s overall experience.
Health
is initially equal to level, and attacks reduce it while healing restores it.
Ether
is equal to about a half of the level, and is used for spellcasting, healing and scroll-reading.
Defense
is gained from shields and most artefacts, and it reduces the damage taken.
WP
means weapon power, while
SP
means shield power. All statistics except Level are kept a secret from other players.

5. ABILITIES: All player characters have their
own sets
of 3-6 abilities they can use during the game, related to their job classes. These skills include (but are not limited to) attacks, spellcasting, healing, tracking, stealing items, blocking, buffing, debilitating and using items. To best make use of these varied skills, the players should consider forming alliances.

6. ITEMS: All players start out with
10 gold
, a
weapon
with 2-6 WP and a random array of
other items
, such as restorative potions, artefacts and tools. Like the statistics, these inventories are kept as a secret from other players. During the Day-phases of the game, upgrades and more items can be bought from
Sham Poo
in exchange for gold. You are free to trade items with other players, but you need to notify the host whenever you do that.

7. LEVELING UP: Gaining a
level
increases
the player character’s current and maximum
health and ether by 1
. When a player kills another player, they will gain experience according to this chart:

- Level 1-9: a full level

- Level 10-19: 1/2 of a level

- Level 20-29: 1/3 of a level

- Level 30-39: 1/4 of a level

- Level 40 onwards: 1/5 of a level

8. ELEMENTS & EFFECTS: There are five
elements
in the game: fire, ice, lighting, light and darkness. Elemental spells and attacks are twice as effective as normal attacks, but consume ether. They can also be blocked with the right piece of equipment. There are both
positive and negative effects
in the game as well, including encouraged, enforced, stunned, poison, sleep, blinded, sealed, confused and enamored. These can be inflicted by certain abilities and scrolls. Negative effects last until removed by a Remedy or a suitable ability.

9. BEHAVIOR: When you play this game, you are bound by honor to your alignment – even if it changes mid-game. That is why you
must not discuss the game
outside of the topics and PMs related to it. Sharing information and forming alliances between the players must be done by knowing the risk that the other might be lying or deceiving you. Things will get brutal and cut-throat in this game, and you can get killed off at any time, but any of that is not to be taken as a personal insult. Please
at all times to ensure that your player persona is separated from your real self. You are free to roleplay with your character, and most of all, have fun!

So let me get this straight. 1 ability per phase, 2 phases per day. Is the night phase really at night? How long do the phases last? And what time is night (as in EST, GMT, etc)?

I want to play but might not be able to.

Edited by Pyrovisionary

How long do you think this will run, and what kind of pace do you anticipate? I'm going to be out of town from September 3rd until September 14th, and while I will have Internet access, I don't want to commit to this if the pace and intensity of the action are going to be anything like mafia.

I don't understand the rules, but definitely want to play. :grin:

I do think I understand the rules well enough, but I think I signed up for a Mafia game at the wrong time. I still definitely want to play though. :sweet:

So let me get this straight. 1 ability per phase, 2 phases per day. Is the night phase really at night? And what time is night (as in EST, GMT, etc)?

I want to play but might not be able to.

No, each phase can last several days, depending on how fast people get their actions in. There's a time limit at 48 hours per phase. The "days" and "nights" are strictly in-game terms.

How long do you think this will run, and what kind of pace do you anticipate? I'm going to be out of town from September 3rd until September 14th, and while I will have Internet access, I don't want to commit to this if the pace and intensity of the action are going to be anything like mafia.

How long the game lasts depends completely on the amount of players and how fast they get their actions in. I'm estimating that it will last a few weeks.

You need to be able to post at least once per phase, to get your action in, so if you think you can make it, definitely join up.

Oh, so there's no intensive discussion (whether it leads to a lynch or not) during the Day, just publicly-shown actions?

How in-character are we talking? I wouldn't mind a heavily IC game. No fluff, of course, but playing to the given description of each character would be fun and fitting for Heroica.

Count me in, regardless!

Will there be vampires and undead? I want to kill vampires and undead. Please don't tell me I'll be a vampire or undead. :tongue:

Oh, so there's no intensive discussion (whether it leads to a lynch or not) during the Day, just publicly-shown actions?

Of course there's discussion! The Day-topic will be open for up to 48 hours for people to send in their actions AND discuss their theories and findings. There's no voting like in Mafia, but you can decide to "gang up" on suspicious players to essentially lynch them. :wink:

The Day-topic will end only when all players have posted their action into it, or when the 48 hour time limit has passed. The day action results are then shown upon the day's conclusion.

Unfortunately the actions will be taken into account in the order they are posted, so if you end up getting killed before it's your "turn" to act, you won't get your action in. You'll see how it all works in practice when Day One launches in Wednesday.

How in-character are we talking? I wouldn't mind a heavily IC game. No fluff, of course, but playing to the given description of each character would be fun and fitting for Heroica.

There's a short bio written for each of the precreated characters, so you are welcome to build the character you play as from that. Who knows, if you roleplaying is good enough, you might end up making a lasting impression on the Heroica history. :wink:

Who knows what this will bring...?

But there's only one way to find out, I'm in. :wink:

I will be away for just a couple of days in September, but I'm sure I'll be able to post, somehow.

Ah, I got it! All right, I understand the rules, and I'd like to play. :classic: It's been so long since I've played a mafia-type game...