Sign in to follow this  
LegoFjotten

[SonE Free Build] Sabotage

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This is my third Ep 1 free build, to get the complete story check these out first:

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=85637

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=85976

It didn't take us long to find them. The Imperial Forces had hidden their TIE fighters in the one of the Cloud City service hangars.Out of sight but still ready to be deployed at a moments notice. We'd seen 3 fighters take off as we were approaching, but if we could put the remaining 5 out of commission our evacuation shuttles could hopefully approach without being blown to bits.

"Prepare your thermal detonator" Sgt. Logan told me. He placed his detonator on the fuelling station, and I quickly followed suit. The resulting explosion would blow out the entire hangar and send what was left of the TIE's plummeting towards Bespin.

As we were about to head out, both the doors to the hangar slid open. I saw their white boots even before the door was open: Stormtroopers. "Braze yourselves" Sgt. Logan yelled, "We're gonna have to shoot our way out!". The sneaking part of the mission was definitely over...

9589991854_2f4f6da75f_c.jpg

Some detail shots:

9587197083_f6ec8c08da_c.jpg

And a bonus shot of the greebling:

9589992650_7bedd20121_c.jpg

Original image here: http://farm4.staticf...73b657908_c.jpg

C&C welcome!

I must admit I was not very inspired while building this, feels a bit square and boring to me (or am I just bored of my own ideas? :laugh: ). There are a few things I know I need to do:

- Build a foundation or something so the bottom shadow is eliminated

- Move the Endor rebel by the stairs a bit so he's not blocking the only thing that's not square in the MOC

- Maybe change the color of the thingamabob in the botom left corner to break things up a bit

- Maybe adjust the camera angle a bit, a little higher so the walkway is more visible.

Edit: Updated MOC, added a few more photos.

Ready to be scored!

Edited by LegoFjotten

I find this moc very successful! The decoration on the walls are very Cloud city like, and the doors too, stairways is also a nice touch, I like the greebles under the floor as well. Perhaps the fueling station, if that rocket like thing is that, is a bit dull, you could add some details on it. And the two bley grilles on the wall could be changed to white.

I like your MOC's, very clean, and studless, only 3 studs visible! Very Cloud City-ish, it's nice that the doors actually open!

Those random white shapes turned out really nicely, and I see something new every time I look a the greebles under the platform. :wub: Excellent use of the palisade bricks for texture in the tan door, and — whether it was intentional or not — I also like the reference to A New Hope with the grey door slowly rising up and showing Stormie boots. It's an interesting choice to have the white elements of Cloud City architecture in a room that is a hangar, and I think you did well with it. :thumbup:

I see what you mean about all the squares, though... maybe try some arches above the doorway, or for a big change, how about taking the entire white wall and angling it slightly so it isn't parallel to the front edge of the vignette?

And for the base, I like using a SNOTed dark bley base with rounded corners. Works for all themes; I've used it for Pirates and Historica/Castle in addition to Star Wars.

Thanks for the advice Brickdoctor! I totally plagiarised drew some inspiration from your SNOTed base, and it made a world of difference... Did a few small tweaks to the doorways which helped a bit too. Unfortunately I don't have what I need to make a bigger change and change the angle of the wall, but that is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind for my next squarish moc! :D

Great MOC, what intresets me is how you did that stair technic and how it nicely blended in to the floor.

The stairs are so simple I don't think it qualifies as a technique, this is how it's built:

9587726859_8765656ae1.jpg

Would probably look better with regular 1x1 white plates instead of the black round ones though...

Edited by LegoFjotten

That looks fantastic! :drool: I like the addition of color and a control panel to that black thing with the cone in the foreground on the left, too.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

What a lovely creation! It's very smooth and convinces me although I too doubt the usage of white walls in a hanger. The wall greeble is fantastic and so is all the machinery there under. Only one hose appears to be too short - one technic pin is too exposed. Also love the opened door, but I'd cut them at the top. The part sticking out looks wierd - appearance means a lot more than functionality at static MOCs.

Only one hose appears to be too short - one technic pin is too exposed.

I actually like that. It's like the locking ring and nozzle on the end of a hose.

Thanks for the comments all!

I agree the white walls might not be the natural choice for a hangar. :laugh:

I initially had a wall with large windows separating the hangar from the white area, but I didn't like how it look so I removed it but left the white walls in place.