Sign in to follow this  
Ritz Brick

REVIEW: 75015 Corporate Alliance Tank Droid

I had gotten most of the new wave in the mail the other day, built them and then realized the reviews on them weren't here yet. I took the liberty of taking them apart to review them (without the box or bags mind you).

Set Informations:

Name: Corporate Alliance Tank Droid

Set Number: 75015

Pieces: 271

Minifigures: 3

Year of Release: 2013

Price: $19.99 USD $29.99 CDN £19.99

The Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (7748) had already been released in 2009 as just a generic model (no distinguishable planet). But alas 75015 comes rolling in at the Battle of....Geonosis? Yes I know it's seen in the deleted scenes (pictured below) but the only time we see it in the movies is in Episode III at the Battle of Kashyyyk.

13113.png\

4242.png

Anyway, on with the review:

I threw away the box, but the instructions have the same art, minus the set info. The entire layout is a little strange, the battle droid is shooting nowhere, the tank is heading straight for a rock and Jango Fett bringing up the rear.

catd1_0003.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of the colour combo, the green and orange. But some people like it.

Having 2 bags for this small set seems fairly unnecessary, but less digging around for parts.

catd1_0030.jpg

Contents of Bag 1. Something that surprised me with these parts, 2 bricks! 2 actual bricks! Something we don't usually find in the smaller Star Wars sets. Nothing else really noteworthy other than the 6 grey rods.

catd1_0032.jpg

The cast and crew, I had to buy this set as soon as I saw Jango Fett, he is really a spectacular minifig. His helmet is a pearl grey, as with the torso and jetpack. What looks like silver is actually chrome coloured which really makes him stand out. His armour is very clean unlike his son Boba. I like the new clones, but the extra technic pin on the rifle makes it look a little too long. Our "geonosis battle droid isn't the same as the old stlye one from 2002, it's actually the same colour as the rocket battle droids from the Droid Tri-Fighter.

catd1_0025.jpg

Helmet removed, I wish TLC used a different face for Jango, although he and Boba are the same, this face doesn't remind me too much of Jango. Also, the keen observer will see that Jango has dark blue hands.

catd1_0024.jpg

Jango and the clone, they look a little bit too different for my liking.

catd1_0023.jpg

Backpack! We aren't able to see it on the box, even just one plate makes it look a lot better IMO.

catd1_0020.jpg

End of bage 1 and main body built, it's different from the 2009 version, but still looks the same (if that makes any sense). The bars make for great greebles.

catd1_0016.jpg

Contents of Bag 2. Couple of large discs, unfortunately the large ones are not printed. Oh well. This model has 60 pieces of tread, while the 2009 version has 56, this one is quite longer though. For anyone else building theirs, you should have 3 extra tread pieces. (Save yourself from counting).

catd1_0014.jpg

I love this piece and we get two of them!

catd1_0012.jpg

All the technic dealies make the frame for the tread.

catd1_0011.jpg

Side, cannons and eyes attached, plus flick fires! The eyes are more accurate to the film version.

catd1_0010.jpg

The two pontoons, what I call them. Doesn't make much sense for the sandy surface.

catd1_0009.jpg

Finished model, the accents of trans orange look very good.

catd1_0008.jpg

A bit wide but still imposing.

catd1_0007.jpg

Side profile, it manages to roll fairly well on hard surfaces, but best on the carpet.

catd1_0006.jpg

The back.

catd1_0005.jpg

Here is a comparison between the two of them (this is not my picture credit goes to CapnRex101 of brickset.) http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=6751

9023767390_cf400087c8.jpg

That poor clone is ridiculously outnumbered,

catd1_0004.jpg

Overall I like this version more than the older, while it's not as great as an army builder, it's a good set to get just for Jango and another clones.

Overall:

Build: 8/10 Simple build with nothing too difficult, the eyes can be hard to position the exact way you like.

Pieces: 7/10 A few good pieces but I hate how TLC considers all 60 pieces of tread to be their own.

Playability: 8/10 This battle is really one sided, but I love rolling this around the carpet, it makes a very satisfying tank sound.

Price: 7/10 My comment on the price increases...they aren't going down anytime soon, so mine as well enjoy it for what it is.

Minifigures: 9/10 Jango Fett definitely makes up for the fact our battle droid is just orange instead of a tan orange.

Good review RitzBrick, I agree with you in the way that this set is much better than the 2009 version, A few more Droids or another clone would have been nice, but still a great set with a decent line of minifigures.

Thanks for the review; like you said, Jango Fett is probably the main reason I wanna get this set.

I bought this for Jango fett. People may find this hard to roll on track. It may be easy to have the track rotate smoothly by grabbing the rear end (where 3 strips of suspension lie) and pushing forward. :) Nice review and congratulations to you for getting it.

Thanks for the review. I'm not going to be buying this set; it doesn't really appeal to me. The tank droid is more plain than the last two versions, and I'm happy with the '02 Jango that looks better and more LEGO-ish, in my opinion.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thanks for the review. I'm not going to be buying this set; it doesn't really appeal to me. The tank droid is more plain than the last two versions, and I'm happy with the '02 Jango that looks better and more LEGO-ish, in my opinion.

I would have to agree, just a combination of all 3 would be ideal, something about the new helmets on Boba and Jango seem a bit too cartoonish.

I would have to agree, just a combination of all 3 would be ideal, something about the new helmets on Boba and Jango seem a bit too cartoonish.

I actually think the new one is, in a strange way, not cartoonish enough. :wacko: I've been saying this since the new Boba was first seen, and I know I've always been in the minority on this, but the old helmet with its more squarish, probably-not-as-accurate-in-shape look just fit the LEGO minifig perfectly, in my opinion. The removable jetpack, yes, that is nice, but I like the overall look of the old one better.

I actually think the new one is, in a strange way, not cartoonish enough. :wacko: I've been saying this since the new Boba was first seen, and I know I've always been in the minority on this, but the old helmet with its more squarish, probably-not-as-accurate-in-shape look just fit the LEGO minifig perfectly, in my opinion. The removable jetpack, yes, that is nice, but I like the overall look of the old one better.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. As an owner of the classic-style Boba Fett and the new one, I can't deny that the more recent design is vastly superior and more detailed... but there's just something about the square head that appeals to me so much. The shape feels much more in-place in a LEGO universe. The aesthetic of the old look just screams to me "yes, I am less accurate and much more simplistic, but that's alright. I'm supposed to look friendly and LEGO-ish, not just like a shrunk-down Hasbro action-figure!"

Detail is nice, but not so much that the minifigure becomes an exact replica of the real thing and loses its charm. If LEGO were to release a one-off Boba Fett character feature the old design but with separate helmet and jetpack (and printed visor), I'd snap it up before anyone could say 'progress'.

I agree. I think that realisticness is nice, but it takes away the Lego feel, which is why I will always love the old Chewie more than the new leaked version, and the old Boba then the new Boba.

Edited by brick_of_legends

Thanks for the review. This confirms that I don't want the set, but only want Jango. If I can find him cheap enough, I'll pick just him up. Otherwise I may end up getting the set for him and parting out the pieces.