bgalakazam

Have you ever had your LEGO thrown away?

lego_8000_SWLPG.jpg

I just found out my brother has thrown out my Technic 8000 Pit Droid. I don't have any Star Wars lego, nor do I like the futuristic sets and themes (Star Trek, etc). But I do like Technic and this was a change from the regular vehicles. I remember wanting the destroyer droid forever, but didn't have money back then as a child.

There is a set with the 3 droids for $150 used on feebay, but I don't feel like spending the money. Of course, Bricklink has them much cheaper.

Has anybody gotten LEGO thrown out by others before?

Edited by bgalakazam

Not me personally, but my mother's coworker threw out a whole box of them, because her kids stopped playing with them...

Sorry about your pit droid, This hasn't happened to me before, but I understand how annoying it is when it happens, people who don't like Lego see Lego as a bit of cheap plastic.

hmm well ive never had anything thrown out but I've lost halfpins up the hoover and my cats eaten 3 minifigures and a rubber missile...

hmm well ive never had anything thrown out but I've lost halfpins up the hoover and my cats eaten 3 minifigures and a rubber missile...

That's annoying rubber missiles are a really nice piece, what minifigures were they?

I'll move this to the General LEGO Discussion forum and give it a new title, since it doesn't only pertain to Star Wars.

I have not had any thrown away, however when I was 7 to 8 my pet rabbit stole some of my blue railway tracks and hid them behind the living rooms armchairs where he proceeded to chew them to oblivion before I figured out where they were going.

I've had to throw some away before. I got the "Sands of Time" PoP set (It think that's what it was called) and by dog got a hold of the figures. This also happened to 2 or 3 CW clone troopers.

lego: no

lego boxes: yes :sceptic:

Well, that's not a surprise. :laugh:

Edited by Lego Spy

Luckily nothing thrown or given away. I was lucky enough to have parents who knew I'd want the bricks back someday, even after telling them I didn't want them anymore no 3 separate occasions during my dark age.

Sadly my old Bionicle (classic stuff) was either given or thrown away. :sad:

Whoa! So I'm not alone. At least most of mine have are likely to be in the hands of someone today.I used to have a collection of over 30 Bionicle canisters during childhood, along with a few small and large sets. When not in use, I liked to store them in the canisters neatly on shelves, which appears to be a rarity if you see used canister sets selling on Bricklink. When I was 10, my mother pulled all of them off the shelf as a punishment for something very bad that I did (which neither me nor her can remember today, which is rare for me), and hid them deep somewhere in the house where I was never able to find them (which is rarely done so well by her). I never again saw them since. (acception for the Ussanui, which was a childhood fantasy-come-true when I found it with my brother).

I once asked her what she ever did with them (years older). Her most clear memory is that one day when I was about 12, she found the bin in the storage room (not thinking about the Bionicle sets). She can not remember exactly what she did with them, but said that she probably donated them to charity. When she found them, she assumed that I had gotten to old for them, and my brother was too young for them. So she just went ahead and gave them away (not being the person to throw them out). She told me that she didn't give them back to me by the time that she would have forgiven me because I never asked for them. Well I never thought that it would be that easy . . .

I remember many days when I would try to search for them in secrecy. Earlier I was mostly looking in her walk-in closet where she typically hid things stolen as a punishment (temporarily in other cases), but I appeared to run out of places in that closet to find a large bin of Bionicle sets hidden, and she also emphasized the hiding place as a very good one shortly after the incident. I ended-up spending the most time looking through the storage room next to the playroom where many similar bins were stacked and things cluttered (as I did get to witness in the incident the bin that she put them in). I spent much time alone trying to look into the many bins there to try to find them, but I didn't move things around and dig-in to far because I didn't want to get caught. Well now I know that all I had to do was ask. There might be some children in some unknown, far-away location enjoying the sets that I had, but I still would of liked to keep at least one canister from each wave, and most of the large sets. I doubt that my mother would have known what to do with the unboxed models from large and small sets (I don't know how a charity could accept those), but Takanui's Ussanui survived (with some exterior parts missing) due to the unrecognizability to her as Bionicle.

Like I said 2 paragraphs up, my brother was deemed to young for Bionicle figures when they were rediscovered. He started out as a Bionicle fan about a year later at about the beggining of 2010 (inarguably the worst time to become a Bionicle fan/customer) with the Stars sets. I got him interested in the old Bionicle telling him what I remembered from it (which was surprisingly much), showing him the Official Guide book and movie trilogy, and even finding things that I never knew on the internet (he got me back interested). The sadness of loosing my collection certainly spread to him (despite occuring before he got interested in it). I am mostly (but not entirely) recovered from that old incident, and I am not sure exactly about him at this point but I know that he really wishes to have them. I bought him 2 Bricklink orders of used sets in the past year (which was probably about half of the recovery for both of us). That is the best happy ending that I have.

Well that was a long story that was mostly off-topic, but just2good really inspired me that it was time that I post it here.

Edit: We should start a petition to put a big fine on throwing-out Lego.

Edited by LiamM32

None, never, apart from what was gone up the vacuum cleaner and not checked when the dust bag was replaced - probably nothing larger than 1x1 plate or so. I even kept all the boxes pretty much intact, except those of my very first sets which I cut up when I was a child. Now I wish I hadn't do that ever, but it was so interesting to have small pictures of various lego products back then...

Yes. I've lost bricks in the vacuum I'm sure over the years. Fortunately I'm in a family that would never "throw out" LEGO.

Edited by Grimmbeard

Not a Set as such but when I was 8 years old I lost an Alpha Team Minifigure Charge when I was going to bring him into school he must have slipped out of my pocket on the way there.

My parents moved in 2010 while I was away for school and gave all of my Lego to my older cousin's children--tons of stuff, including the UCS Yoda statue and Black Seas Barracuda, old Adventurers and Castle sets, Aquazone . . . They kept so much of the other stuff from my room--including floppy disks (?!) and broken plastic bracelets, very outdated computer parts, etc. It still stings a little to think about it.

I've since acquired a replacement Black Seas Barracuda (my all time favorite) on ebay, and other sets that I had always wanted as a kid. Set me back a few years, though...

(For the record, my cousin's kids are awesome and it does make me proud that my childhood collection has passed on :wub: )

Yup, 6286 Skull Eye's Schooner - I was studying abroad, and when I came back, discovered my cousin "liked the ship, so my parents gave it to her."

I couldn't go backsies after she's had it for like 4 months, could I? :D

Yup, 6286 Skull Eye's Schooner - I was studying abroad, and when I came back, discovered my cousin "liked the ship, so my parents gave it to her."

I couldn't go backsies after she's had it for like 4 months, could I? :D

Ouch man, that's an expensive one.

When my Mother was going through her divorce from my Stepdad, a massive trunk full of toys went missing somewhere. My younger brother and me lost tons of stuff. Including Lego. Though I later found a large 15 litre bucket full of Lego at my Grandmothers house which was being played with by my young cousins. Obviously Lego was important enough to my Mother to rescue from the divorce losses.

When my Grandmother died I reclaimed all the Lego I found at her place and now lots of Lego parts from the late 1960's, 1970's and early 1980's are happily mingled with my modern Lego.

Only yesterday I put together all my classic Space and Futuron minifigures. And while sorting parts for a build I nostalgically gazed at classic space rocket thrusters and decided to use them as a nod to my youth even though I've never liked the part.

Happy happy joy joy :sweet:

Interestingly, my Mother now has her own Lego collection. She's 70 in December.