Sign in to follow this  
LiamM32

MOC: Toa Leham

Hello Eurobricks community,

After a long time, I am posting my second creation to this website. My first was an Emerald Night kitchen on the trains forum. His name is Toa Leham; named after myself (Liam), but with spelling changed to implement the matoran prefix. He is a Toa of Air that I built many months ago, but I unfortunately never got around to posting him on the internet until now.

1373792810m_DISPLAY.jpg

As you can see, he wears a great Miru mask (mask of levitation, which prevents the force of gravity from acting on the user). In his left hand, he holds a double-bladed scyth as one of his Toa tools to control air. There are two wheels there which were originally intended to be used on a zipline, but it doesn't work very well. In the other hand, he has a Technic compound bow, which has acceptable performance while difficult to shoot with. It is unfortunately non-purist, as I don't have the right Lego string. I will put a video demonstrating the bow later in the post. I tried to build him creatively, using more multiple mostly-Technic pieces for areas that would typically use one piece. This is best seen on the arms. He unfortunately still has a Piraka torso, as I struggled to make a beam-built geared torso. He may be quite overarmed and heavy for a Toa of Air, but his Miru mask may compensate for the weight.

Now he would like to show you his flight, using his Miru mask:

1373791656m_DISPLAY.jpg

It took many tries for him to fly into the right position for the camera. His mask unfortunately worked slightly less well than expected to soften his landing :wink: . He doesn't have his bow with him here, as he sometimes just takes one Toa tool with him.

Here he is pointing his bow. He shoots it where he wants the source or target of the air currents to be. He can shoot it at an enemy to target a gust of wind or a tornado wherever the arrow lands. If he shot it into an empty sealed metal canister, then he could expand the air in it to make the can explode.

1373791675m_DISPLAY.jpg

In real life, the bow be used by a human, but it isn't entirely easy. The Technic-axle arrow is pushed back into a holder on the string, and it must be released correctly by finger to shoot well. Not nearly as easy as a zamor-sphere launcher, but a fairly easier than a squid launcher. It uses 4 Technic suspensions to launch the arrow. I don't have any hard-springed suspensions. It uses 2 wheels to convert strength into speed and distance to pull back on the string.

Now I will demonstrate:

It was difficult to shoot it correctly while holding it up-close to the camera. It might sometimes shoot a bit further off-screen. The video is set as "Unlisted" on YouTube, so you won't find this video by browsing the website, but only with a link.

1373791688m_DISPLAY.jpg

Here are two rear-view images. I don't reuse stickered parts very often, but I decided that the Earth Green Exo-Force sticker on a Dark Stone Grey toa foot would work well for Toa Leham. Again, he unfortunately uses a Piraka torso. But I have been playing around with some Technic parts recently to develop a good torso with gears. Tell me if you know of a good Toa-torso design that I can use.

1373791714m_DISPLAY.jpg

1373791741m_DISPLAY.jpg

Here is a front view of him that will let you see many features of his body. You have a bit of a view of how the bow works and how it is built. You can also see how his padded upper arms are built. The mask is the only piece on the body in the Dark Bluish-Green colour. I would have liked to use his Vahki lower-arms in this colour if they were available. Sometimes too many colours don't look good together. But I appreciate it when there is a wide range of colours combined and they somehow look good in the end. I think that I combined colours well. You can also see the design of his torso, with an Inika shoulder-pad abdomen, two bohrok teeth as breasts, and a fluorescent heart-light (a feature of Toa and Matoran in story, which somehow never got into the sets despite being so easy to implement).

1373791759m_DISPLAY.jpg

Now he would like to show-off his bow again. I think that this is an important part of the model, as it is the most complex-built and functional feature.

1373791776m_DISPLAY.jpg

Here is a picture of him standing with his first team-mate; Komeron, Toa of Ice (with added control of light). Komeron was built-by and named after my younger brother, Cameron. I decided to include Komeron for one image. We now have other toa in the team, quickly built by my brother. The others are incomplete in my opinion. Leham and Komeron are the best-designed. They either share the role of leader, or Komeron would be leader and Leham deputy (if deputy is supposed to mean second from the leader in a toa team). Ironically, Leham has a somewhat Ice-like personallity while Komeron is a bit air-like. Komeron is one of the more social Ice guys.

A note from my brother:

Komeron is cool XD. His axe is BOSS. His power level is BEAST. Thats all guys. XD LOLz.

Very out of tone with the things that I type. I wanted him to say something more informational, but I tried.

Now we will enter the shadows.

1373905102m_DISPLAY.jpg

For using the word "shadows", the image turned out pretty bright. I used my new UV light bulb that I bought from Canadian Tire (a Canadian department store, hardware store, and automotive-repair store chain for those of you outside Canada). I like the fluorescent glow of Toa Lehum, with the yellow-green glowing eyes, hearlight, arrowhead, and orange teeth on the arms. Unfortunately, I discovered that fluorescent objects are not as common as I thought in my Lego town, which was my main intention of the UV light.

Enjoy the creation. Feel free to share your opinions. Compliments or constructive-criticism are welcome.

It's certainly refreshing to see a straight BIONICLE MoC in the forum these days (also, clever naming).

The crossbow is definitely awesome; that it's actually functional is very cool, and the added plant elements suit it.

The colors are unfortunately working against it; we have most conceivable forms of green on here, so that definitely creates some clashes, not to mention the additional blacks and greys. Most of the different colors come in Metru green, as far as I know (mask aside) so it might be a good idea to stick to that one color as a base, and work outward from there.