Redshanks

My First MOC Ship - The Sea Chantey

[pid][/pid] 150B

Ahoy mates! I be Cap'n Redshanks, mighty pirate, and for many years now I've been a regular visitor of these fine forums - but nary a post have I made. My meager collection of pirate LEGO hasn't produced much worth sharing. Now that I be home for the summer, it's time to set sail in my first completed MOC: the "Sea Chantey", me flagship. Enjoy!

9161125839_2d44804849_o.jpg

Most of the techniques and parts I utilized came from TLG ships, like the POTC Black Pearl and 2009 Brickbeard's Bounty. The sails are made of cardstock paper, and the reef points are (very poorly) hand-drawn. Here are some more views:

9161126155_decb350ff7_o.jpg

A view from the port quarter.

9163347608_948d652c96_o.jpg

From dead astern.

9163348062_78be639ab9_o.jpg

Dead-ahead, bow-on.

9161126427_3a02343cc0_o.jpg

A closer view of the stern. Nothing fancy here; the gold cutlasses came from the Pirate Captain in TLG's Minifigs Collection.

9161127567_ed0d824e33_o.jpg

The main cabin. Apologies for the blurry picture. The doors are a wee bit close to the mainmast, but I couldn't move the mast forward too much or else it would ruin the proportions of the ship; it'll just be a tight squeeze for the captain :laugh:

9161127915_42cfc23a61_o.jpg

A closeup of the quarterdeck. See how close those doors are? I will probably change that later...

9161128183_183a7a56c1_o.jpg

Closeup of the winch over the gun deck. It can rotate in any direction.

9161128549_c685b95f2d_o.jpg

The gun deck. She can mount three guns per side, unless you clear out the cabin and stick cannons out the windows...improvisation, after all, is the art of a true pirate! :pir-sweet:

9163349588_b155785e3b_o.jpg

A very blurry shot of the figurehead, a parrot. It seemed to fit with the aesthetics of the ship...

That's it! Please leave your comments, criticisms, insults, and angry exclamations below. Fair winds and following seas, me buckos!

- Redshanks

This looks great for a first MOC. Love the details inside the cabin, but I think you're ship can use some minifigs because I like some action in a MOC. :wink: (I dont know anything about MOC ships, so I'm sorry if minifigs are somehow forbidden)

Very nice for a first ship. Good work!

You may want to have your crew swab the deck before taking photos. :classic:

Looks great! Looks like a lot of Peregrin frigate from Pirates of the Burning sea game. Theres a couple of things Id like to point out though. I think that the stern looks a bit dull, It could do maby a bit more decoration or a bit different desing. Next, judging by the pictures, i think you could maby add aft guns at the back of the ship by removing those two lanters on the sides and make a couple of holes there for the guns. But I still like the ship a lot, looks great and the first picture is the most impressing. And i like that you uses only Lego parts for the rigging and for the sails, they fit well IMO in this MOC.

Captain Becker

Thanks so much for the comments, mates!

Love the details inside the cabin, but I think you're ship can use some minifigs because I like some action in a MOC. :wink: (I dont know anything about MOC ships, so I'm sorry if minifigs are somehow forbidden)

Minifigs aren't forbidden, to my knowledge - I do have a crew for her, but the shy swabs were hiding below decks at the time of picture-taking. If she makes an appearance in later MOC's, I'll be sure to include them.

You may want to have your crew swab the deck before taking photos. :classic:

Ack, those lazy dogs...good catch! :pir-grin:

I think that the stern looks a bit dull, It could do maby a bit more decoration or a bit different desing. Next, judging by the pictures, i think you could maby add aft guns at the back of the ship by removing those two lanters on the sides and make a couple of holes there for the guns.

Great ideas! If I get around to it later, I'll post some updated photos - I don't want to resurrect an old thread, though, so the "Chantey" will probably make a guest appearance in a later MOC with some changes made. Thanks for the feedback!

Fair winds and following seas!

- Redshanks

Nice looking ship.

But i have a few problems with it, and solutions for them aswell.

1: its too low, (especialy the cabin) Raise it all up.

2: way to few guns, extend the ship, and put a top on deck.

3: The doors. I always try to make it look like figs can enter the doors to the cabin. Just one exstra mid-section should do the job.

Besides that. Its a nice little ship. good color-scheme and nice sails, (i thought they was from the new imperial flagship)

Try to fix the small problems in version 2 .

(trust i've had all thoose problems aswell. And i'm doing pretty good now)

I see a combination of imperial flag ship, black pearl and queen anns revenge. Quite nice and I think the ropes used for the saild is what makes the ship. The cabin is a nice touch especially with the doors. Any plans to add an upper deck?

That's really great! The hull is cleanly built, detailed, and the decks look awesome. The sail plan is also very nice. I however find the lower sails on each mast a tad high for some reason. Probably just the way the picture is. Anyhow, nice work, I like her! :wink:

1: its too low, (especialy the cabin) Raise it all up.

2: way to few guns, extend the ship, and put a top on deck.

3: The doors. I always try to make it look like figs can enter the doors to the cabin. Just one exstra mid-section should do the job.

I like your suggestions. I actually made an effort to keep the ship's profile low, but I see what you mean...she looks a bit flat, and squat. I'll find an extra midsection on Bricklink and see what I can do... :thumbup:

Any plans to add an upper deck?

I'm considering it. Once I get another midsection, I'll try building up the sides and see if I have enough room. My priorities are to keep the proportions reasonable (for an 18th-century ship) while still keeping it "playable". Stay tuned! :laugh:

I however find the lower sails on each mast a tad high for some reason. Probably just the way the picture is.

Nope, it's not the picture...I put the sails extra high on the mast because I couldn't get a third sail on top that looked good, so I just moved the two sails higher to keep the proportions right. I'm still trying to find a solution to this...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Fair winds!

- Redshanks

Lovely ship, I like the low cabin, it gives the ship a sportive look, as if it could pull up with the wind really fast. More guns are not really needed, this looks more like a ship that would use speed and agility as an advantage rather than firepower, I wouldn't change much about the shape of the ship.

In my opinion all it needs is some work on the gun deck, that area looks a bit cheap compared to the rest.

Nicely done.

I agree totally whit Sebeus there, i like the sleek look of the ship a lot. And all it needs is just a bit details here and there. Like the gundeck, Maby if you want, you could maby squeeze one more gunport as it does look like theres a lot of space between the gunports at the moment, like 6 studs if i counted right.

Captain Becker

I'm not a total expert, but personally I loved this MOC. I love how it is a great creation, yet still feels amateur (in a good way). What I mean to say is that It seems like a product of just following your ABS plastic heart, as opposed to something that required extreme planning. Excellent work! It goes into the hall of fame of first MOCS, in my book at least.