Sign in to follow this  
JimiWan

Yet another 10179 self purchase/build

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi all,

So another self purchase and build on the cards. I am going to use this thread as a build journal and a question post because i have one right away! I didnt have the money for this when it came out and I only found out today that you could build it yourself! Fantastic idea and I cant wait to get started on it but even sourcing all the parts is great fun and im looking forward to the adventure :)

I started purchasing parts today from BrickLink and while I was doing so I came across a peice of software called brickstore. Great peice of software but I am a tad confused about why it has duplicate entrys of the same item called 'Extra'.

At the bottom of the software it says 288 lots which is how many my list says in bricklink so I assume its correct but then when I remove the 'Extras' it obviously goes down in total lots. They seem to be exactly the same, same colour, item number and everything so maybe someone here could tell me what it is for and do i need to keep them or can I delete them?

Just as an added thing I thought I would post a pic of my 7965 MF that my GF bought me a couple of years ago for christmas (shes a top girl :) )

Anywho, any help would be great as I dont want to overpurchase anything.

post-65645-0-11410500-1372265838_thumb.jpg

Best of luck to you. I was in my dark ages when that set came out and I would love to own one.

The exra parts are just that: extras. They are usually small-ish pieces, like 1x1 plates, cheese slopes, bars, arms..., that often get lost or misplaced. They add a couple of them so you can replace them and enjoy a complete model.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavour. Believe me, the final result will be worth it :wink:

Welcome to EB! :classic: It's always exciting to see a member start a project like this.

If you want to embed your pictures from ImageShack, on that page you were on, you can right-click on the photo, copy the URL from the box that pops up, and paste it between img tags:

opig.jpg

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img560/8783/opig.jpg]

Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic:

As you've probably found there are several other threads about the UCS Falcon, it's a serious undertaking but great fun if you're brave enough! It took me about 2 months to gather the parts, but this included about 3 weeks of waiting as Lego had several items on 'backorder'.

I'd highly recommend having a look at the new Lego parts website as they now sell rarer parts directly and some of these are far cheaper than the standard Bricklink cost. Are you going to try & source 100% accurate parts, or replace some? I ended up using about 300 alternatives, which wasn't too bad from total of 5,000+ parts and it saved me a lot!

Anyway, best of luck and I'll look forward to seeing updates.

Welcome to EB! :classic: It's always exciting to see a member start a project like this.

If you want to embed your pictures from ImageShack, on that page you were on, you can right-click on the photo, copy the URL from the box that pops up, and paste it between img tags:

opig.jpg

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img560/8783/opig.jpg]

Tried that, couldnt seem to do it :(

Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic:

As you've probably found there are several other threads about the UCS Falcon, it's a serious undertaking but great fun if you're brave enough! It took me about 2 months to gather the parts, but this included about 3 weeks of waiting as Lego had several items on 'backorder'.

I'd highly recommend having a look at the new Lego parts website as they now sell rarer parts directly and some of these are far cheaper than the standard Bricklink cost. Are you going to try & source 100% accurate parts, or replace some? I ended up using about 300 alternatives, which wasn't too bad from total of 5,000+ parts and it saved me a lot!

Anyway, best of luck and I'll look forward to seeing updates.

Im probably going to try and source 100% original parts but all from brick link. Not had any issues so far. If I do I will get round it one way or another lol. I am also looking for job lots of lego from star wars on ebay and car boots. You never know what you will find and when I have finished this one I plan to do another so job lots of lego are sure to have some bits I need. And the rest of it that I dont need my gf will always play with as she loves it :)

Thanks for the welcome guys. I will update as parts come in :)

Edited by JimiWan

Next delivery!

qdw0.jpg

The white axles were my mistake. I didnt see the bricklink shop I bought them from only had white in stock and I went ahead and bought them anyway, idiot. Anyways he was breaking up another model and saw he had the parts so he is sending them to me anyway as he mis-counted a few parts on the order. Bloody nice chap!

P.S, see if you can spot me and my gf in this pic :)

Edited by JimiWan

I got you both, sitting on the table. Clever. Looks like your build is coming along, good luck!

Which pieces are mainly responsible for the price increase (for "bricklinked" versions)?

Edited by Robert_88

Which pieces are mainly responsible for the price increase (for "bricklinked" versions)?

There's a lot of larger parts in the Falcon that pushes the cost up, mainly the Technic Frame and the outer plates. With a lot of searching I managed to source all new parts for around £600 inc p&p, which was about 10% above my initial estimate. I ended up using alternative colours for about 300 parts (grey levers, rigging, dish etc) otherwise the cost would have been too high :look:

I'd strongly recommend that you spend a lot of time on Bricklink planning your orders and to check the LEGO website; although they're more expensive for a lot of the parts they are considerably cheaper for some (Techinc beams, yellow corner brackets, red plate etc etc!).

It's a stunning set to build, but it will take a lot of effort! :classic:

There're also some programs to help you find cheaper combinations of stores quickly so you can experiment with which color and type of parts to use more quickly. I noticed Brickficiency in the LDD forum the other day.

Thanks! I think I will definetly build the MF in the near future. But maybe within one or two years because I don't want to spend so much money at once. (There are other sets as well ;) )

But I thought it would be wise to buy some pieces like the radar dish now when they are still cheap(er).

Good Luck!

here's what I got so far:

d0d824f4fadb11e29a8222000a1f8ccf_7.jpg

b96f853afad311e28e1022000aa80588_7.jpg

Edited by kr-lik

So... I finally finished the build yesterday. got the final pieces...

Now the BAD news ;) ... This was my first bricklinking project and it did not turn out as awesome as I'd want and as cheap as others ;) ... I guess You DO have to spend quite some time checking the best options when it comes to price / piece & shipping... I unfortunatelly am very anxious person so did not spend enough time on that ;)

Summarise:

15 orders, most of them from bricklink but few from allegro.pl (a Polish auction site). Most of the orders from Poland, but few from Europe and even few from USA. Had to pay VAT, but only on a package that was valued over 42 euro I think.

Final cost: 2110 PLN = around 490 euro.

That's 0,14 euro per piece.

99% of the orders were fine. Had few mistakes when ordering > 100 pieces (something missing or a wrong brick) but all that got sorted quick no problem....

So yeah. Next ? I always ALWAYS wanted the falcon... but seeing that ONE of the pieces migh cost around 100 euro I think that I will pass atm and maybe try the snowspeeder later on...

Wow you have took on a big project. You have accomplished a lot. Wish I had the time to do what you are doing.