PICTORIAL REVIEW: 260 Idea Book 42-43

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic  – Started by Assamite , Feb 23 2007 03:33 PM

Poll: How do you rate this set? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

On a scale of 1 to 5

1. 5. Very good (25 votes [64.10%])

Percentage of vote: 64.10%

2. 4. (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

3. 3. (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

4. 2. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 1. Extremely Poor (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Assamite

Assamite

Member: 1154

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

A little treat for those hankering for a new pirate set to whet their appetite.  The design for the set comes from idea book 260 Page 42 & Page 43.

Posted Image

The fort itself is for the Soldier a nice little mid range design somewhere between the smaller Bastion and larger Fort Eldorado.  The pieces used can all be found in those two sets by the way and are pretty common parts for a pirate fan anyway.

Posted Image

The fort is designed to be held by four mini figures, Admiral Broadside, a commodore and two troopers, a nice staff all in all and if available for purchase most people would be happy with the minifig count.  Also it is very easy to swap torsos and flags to turn this into an Imperial Guards outpost.

Posted Image

The build was very satisfying the instructions being easy to follow.  I was surprised at how good the final design came out, the palm accents the design quite well.  A few nice touchs are included, a cannon ball shelf to aid in quick loading of the cannon, a soldier gunner with rammer and a small dock to tie up the boat at.

Posted Image

I would recommend anyone looking for a nostalgic walk down memory lane build this fort.

Final rating 5/5

Brickshelf Gallery

CM

THIS IS NOT A MOC
This is a set designed by The LEGO Group whose instructions can only be found in Ideas Book 260

#2 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Member: 822

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

First time I see this little fort. But what a pleasant surprise!
I never knew this existed. You could have made me believe this was a MOC.
Excellent review and 1000 thanks for bringing this to our attention.
I might follow your advice and build it myself.

Do you own this idea book or did you get the instructions from the internet?

I guess this will have to be moved to the Pirate LEGO MOCs forum if we follow the instructions of Mr. Phes.
Or maybe not because this is a "pictorial review"? This is an interesting one...

View PostMister Phes, on Jan 27 2007, 02:16 PM, said:

... any LEGO creation which hasn't been officially released by The LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC" so thats why it must go in the Pirate MOC forum.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#3 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

I know Assamite in real life and he's been corresponding with me through the whole review process, afterall who do you think added the CG backgrounds?  ;-)

As for my statement: Any set not officially released by The LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC" - technically this set was released by The LEGO Group in the 260 Ideas Book, so let me revise that statement to:

Any set not officially DESIGNED by he LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC"

Do you think that's a fair call?

#4 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Feb 23 2007, 11:10 PM, said:

I know Assamite in real life and he's been corresponding with me through the whole review process, afterall who do you think added the CG backgrounds?  ;-)

As for my statement: Any set not officially released by The LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC" - technically this set was released by The LEGO Group in the 260 Ideas Book, so let me revise that statement to:

Any set not officially DESIGNED by he LEGO Group is classified as a "MOC"
Do you think that's a fair call?
Much better indeed Mr. Phes.
Now there is no more room for misunderstanding.
I already thought recognizing your work in the modified pictures.

Posted Image

#5 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:18 PM

Mr Bonaprate, exactly what do you mean by "I already thought recognizing your work in the modified pictures."  Could you elaborate further?

#6 Scouty

Scouty
  • [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:11 AM

This is very interesting. The model is very nice and really looks like it should have been an actual Lego set. Thanks for building it up and posting it! That backdrop is nice as well!

I have an Idea book that has two or three other pirate creations. I'll try to scan pictures or build those. There's one for Imperial Armada(Mister Phes ;-) ) and two or one other.

It's also nice to meet a friend of Mister Phes :capn: !
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#7 Assamite

Assamite

Member: 1154

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:52 AM

View PostImperialScouts, on Feb 24 2007, 01:11 AM, said:

This is very interesting. The model is very nice and really looks like it should have been an actual Lego set. Thanks for building it up and posting it! That backdrop is nice as well!

I have an Idea book that has two or three other pirate creations. I'll try to scan pictures or build those. There's one for Imperial Armada(Mister Phes ;-) ) and two or one other.

It's also nice to meet a friend of Mister Phes :capn: !

No probs people.

The idea book scans can be found here Peeron Idea Books

Only 260 & 697 have pirate designs.  697 designs being much weaker.

Kudos to the Classic-Castle.com who gave me the idea.  They also do pictorial reviews of the alternate models from the back of the boxes.

Hope you enjoyed it.

CM

#8 TheBrickster

TheBrickster
  • Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:57 AM

Very nice, and great imagery!  I love the background.

#9 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:06 AM

I've added this Pictorial Review to the Pirate Portal Website, obviously in the Set Reviews section.   X-D

#10 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

View PostMister Phes, on Feb 24 2007, 12:18 AM, said:

Mr Bonaprate, exactly what do you mean by "I already thought recognizing your work in the modified pictures."  Could you elaborate further?
Well, you have a certain "style" for making an avatar, add a background, the banners, the new website.
Compare it with the work of a painter. When you study a lot of Picasso's, you are able to recognize one when you see a new painting without explicitly being told who the creator was. You're very good at this and I like it a lot. Let's call it the Phes-style  :-D

Posted Image

#11 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

Ahhh...  So you just meant...

"I thought I recognised your work in the modified pictures" - the way you phrased it confused me at first.  But I know exactly what you're talking about -  I'm starting my fourth year at Art School so I've seen a few Picasso's in recent times :-D

#12 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Member: 851

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

These idea books are very interesting... I bet this would make great official set with an own box. Also a very good review!

5/5 From me!

Have a nice day,

Mr Tiber

#13 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

This "set" is getting a lot of 5 out of 5 ratings but I'm not really sure why that is.  Could you lads elaborate why you've given it 5t?

I haven't voted yet, but I think I'm heading towards 3 for this one.  I think it looks more like a prototype that could use some refinement.

#14 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Retired

Member: 359

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Feb 24 2007, 08:03 PM, said:

I think it looks more like a prototype that could use some refinement.
Which TLC designed set isn't? ;-)

This is a rare set of the Pirates era that isn't a set yet looks like one. Completely in sync with the official sets. 5/5 because of that. Period ;-)

The backdrop could need some work, though... *duck*

#15 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:18 PM

I agree the background needs some work, however its only a set review so I'm not going to spend too much time into it - I've got more urgent Pirate LEGO matters to attend to.  Like my MOC for example :-D  Oh, and that Pirate Portal website...

#16 Scouty

Scouty
  • [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

My reason for 5/5 is the same as Hobbes.
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#17 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:20 AM

Because its completely in sync with the original theme?  So does this "synchronization" compensate for the sets flaws thus giving it a 5 out of 5 rating?

#18 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Retired

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

View PostMister Phes, on Feb 25 2007, 01:20 AM, said:

Because its completely in sync with the original theme?  So does this "synchronization" compensate for the sets flaws thus giving it a 5 out of 5 rating?
Yes.

And the fact it doesn't have flaws (IMHO). Then again, I'm the casual Pirates fan, not a perfectionist.

#19 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog

Member: 376

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

well...i was confused whwn i saw a review of a MOC in pirate lego forum and not in MOC forum...u thougt it was a set wich was released only in USA...well...in any case is a good set i give it a 5...i think i prefer it to lagoon lock-up for example
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#20 Asuka

Asuka
  • Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

View PostHobbes, on Feb 25 2007, 11:40 AM, said:

And the fact it doesn't have flaws (IMHO). Then again, I'm the casual Pirates fan, not a perfectionist.
Itīs 5/5 for me too.
I really like the look and size of it, thereīs some kind of sweet equilibrium and
true description of LEGO pirating coming with it.:'-)
And for design flaws.... Iīm never quiet sure about this matter.
Of course there are some flaws to find in many sets, but what is a flaw? It depends on the way
someone is looking at sets I guess. Often TLCīs managers want to decrease costs and designers
have to compromise. But one personīs deliberated weakness is sometimes the favor of someone else.
In this set, par exemple, that small dock in front of the wall with no door to enter the fort
doesnīt make too much sense for me.... but does this reduce its overall beauty?
Sometimes I think that a part of a set which is irritative to me in fact is also a good opportunity for
MODing. The most important word I associate with LEGO is creativity, and I canīt help myself, I do
think that some official TLC set designers, the best of them, consider to use design flaws to invite
people to modify sets. At leats it was something like this which led me, when I was a child, to MOD, and,
a little later, to start MOCing.

#21 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Retired

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

Well, Mr. Assamite, I browsed the idea book pages on peeron and thought it has some very nice, old-style LEGO layouts. And then I browsed ebay, found one, and bought it. All your fault ;-)

#22 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

View PostCaptain Roger, on Feb 25 2007, 11:03 PM, said:

well...i was confused whwn i saw a review of a MOC in pirate lego forum and not in MOC forum...u thougt it was a set wich was released only in USA...well...in any case is a good set i give it a 5...i think i prefer it to lagoon lock-up for example

The set under review is not MOC as it was designed by The LEGO Group but the instructions can only be found in Ideas Book 260.

#23 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*

Member: 653

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

This is a rather nice "set".  The color combination is easy on the eyes and the build while not complex is elegant in its own way.  Were this for sale I might consider picking it up depending on the price.

5/5

#24 Norro

Norro
  • Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

I built this from the idea book back in the day... It is the only model I've ever built from the idea books and I've always had a soft spot for it. A very nicely designed piece.

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

#25 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • Retired

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

View PostNorro, on Feb 25 2007, 10:23 PM, said:

It is the only model I've ever built from the idea books and I've always had a soft spot for it.
8-o

You didn't build the (IMHO lovely) castle sets?!

I'm shocked... deeply...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links