sam89

10183 Hobby Train set

Looks great! :'-)

Let a joy keep you. Reach out your hands and take it when it runs by.

Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

*wub* *wub* *wub*

The pics on the box and a 16+ age mark promise complex models like a SFSC or BNSF :'-)

Thanks for sharing, sam! *y*

looks very promising! lego is giving us everything we whant this year!!

(wonder whats going to come for next year)

wonder whats going to come for next year

Does that matter? I will have no money left for ten years when 2007 is over :-D

It is strange that LEGO has improved that much in only a year or two. But a good thing of cause

And you want to start saving for 2008 now too!! I have heard from sources that 2008 line up is really nice, they think better than 2007 even. SO SAVE UP BIG TIME! No details at all, just a general feeling they had that it was a really good lineup.

Nice set! It will introduce me in the world of train mocs!

With all those pieces, could we build just one model?

I will need to buy some extra 9v train tracks...

I saw this yesterday afternoon on Brickshelf. Lookes great. Price is high for a single engine, but then again, the set makes 30 different models. I'm looking forward to March.

hmmm... i'll have to see what piece are included in this before i get too excited abou the set. though the concept looks enticing 8-

well the prototypes of the corner cafe set where also made by fans...

seems like lego is finding its way to AFOL community!

the most interesting thing to me is the "built by fans" part... LEGO is hiring fans now ??? that should have us real excited. i want to apply ;-)

Those sets are a result of the Ambassador Program which isn't really a secret anymore ;-)

Those sets are a result of the Ambassador Program which isn't really a secret anymore ;-)

do we know what other sets to ecxpect from this program?

i really wonder how one becomes an ambassador.... :-$

do we know what other sets to ecxpect from this program?

Well, the modular house set, for example.

i really wonder how one becomes an ambassador.... :-$

Apply, and hope to get chosen. Application deadline for the next cycle has ended on February 11th, though.

are we saying ambassadors built these sets ???

i didn't realize that was one of the duties *wacko*

and to think, i had little interest in the program ;-)

- BrickMiner

are we saying ambassadors built these sets ???

No.

i didn't realize that was one of the duties *wacko*

It isn't.

The Ambassadors are supposed to be the link between TLC and AFOLs. With results I meant the results of the communication between TLC and AFOLs through the Ambassadors.

and to think, i had little interest in the program ;-)

Go ahead ;-)

It may be a nit but I thought it worth pointing out - this development of the 10183 Ultimate Train Builder set was not a result of the Ambassador program.

Mike

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

So far I've always read Ambassador comments about fan designed sets or sets designed after fan input, so I thought it was an (indirect) result of their interaction and communication.

There's barely info on what they really do, though...

The Ambassadors are supposed to be the link between TLC and AFOLs. With results I meant the results of the communication between TLC and AFOLs through the Ambassadors.
ah, i must have read one step too far (the wrong way *wacko* ) into your post hobbes :-D

all that aside, the fact remains, LEGO is still hiring/appliying fan designs... whether the communicaiton was through the ambasador program or not (mike walsh ???).

--------------------------------------------------

thanks for pointing out the corner cafe phoenix... now that you mention it, your right, fan designs are nothing new. yet, im still surprised by each one i see.

-BrickMiner

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

So far I've always read Ambassador comments about fan designed sets or sets designed after fan input, so I thought it was an (indirect) result of their interaction and communication.

There's barely info on what they really do, though...

I can't elaborate too much at this point, maybe in about a month or so I hope be able to say more. I probably won't ever be able to tell the whole story but the process which evolved into the UTB effort actually started in late 2004. The Ambassador Program was announced in early 2005. While there is some overlap, particularly on the LEGO side and the Ambassadors were privy to the UTB effort, the team which came together to develop the UTB set had nothing to do with LEGO Ambassador Program.

Mike

the team which came together to develop the UTB set had nothing to do with LEGO Ambassador Program.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't mean to imply that the Ambassadors designed it or initiated it. I read into the comments that they had something to do with the overall project.

Thx for your info *y* :-)

Hi!

This set was already shown to the German community at 1000steine-Land 2006 in Berlin. There was also a presentation held by some TLC representatives. The audience included the Top-Management of TLC :-) Pictures of this can be found here: TSL - FAN-Train. IIRC it wasn't forbidden to talk about the set. But it was not allowed to take pictures of the box. The models were built by a group of about 10 (?) selected and well-known AFOLs like Holger Matthes and Tim Gould.They first received a big bag of parts from TLC and were asked to build some trains with it (see picture 11). Actually the first thing they did was reject the (very colorful) parts. They decided together about a color scheme and requested some other parts. Then they started building. Looks like the idea really worked. TLC was obviously very surprised about the many great MOCs. And this train set is the result. It contains a nice selection of train parts and the instructions for several different models. Some of them are very impressive and use sophisticated building techniques.

The presentation at 1000steine-Land gave us an excellent impression how TLC tries to address the wishes of the adult community. I think there are a couple more secret projects like this. Well - and I guess it saves them some money ;)

I hope that the whole story will be told by some of the AFOLs which were involved in the process!

Cheers,

Thomas