• Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which X-Wing is your favourite?

• 10240 (the new 2013 version)
    • 7191 (the 2000 original)

gallery_101_23_281.gif

8696010525_ae6f748a2d_c.jpg

Apologies to Nuukeer whose artwork I have mutilated for the background.

Thirteen years ago, The LEGO Group amazed everyone by releasing a Star Wars set that was clearly aimed solely at adults. 7191 X-Wing Fighter was a large-scale, accurate representation of the iconic X-Wing, and introduced to the unsuspecting world the concept of Ultimate Collector Series models - large, complicated builds, with interesting techniques and (often) parts, all with oodles of AFOL appeal. The original 7191 - with its sister 7181 Tie Interceptor - might have been seen as an experiment; years have passed, and the UCS title has (officially) disappeared, but it appears the experiment was a success and the concept lives on.

Since then, we've seen most of the more famous SW vehicles released in UCS format, but it has been a long time since an X-Wing has been available at this scale without resorting to extortionate aftermarket prices. If you missed the first one, you need fret no longer: there's a new, updated version.

I'm therefore proud to present a Eurobricks early review of 10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter. Obviously we are keen to see how the new set shapes up, but I'll also concentrate on how she compares to her thirteen-year-old ancestor: to see if owners of the original 7191 might be tempted to shell out for the new version. In honour of this occasion, I've made a new, detailed review of the older one: read 7191 UCS X-Wing Fighter here.

7191 was a great set, but it had a few flaws. The principal ones are these: the wing attachments were weak, and there were a large numbers of STickers Across Multiple Pieces (STAMPs). Let's see how the new one deal with these issues, and also if newly-available parts have improved the overall shape.

A huge thank you once again to The LEGO Group for providing this set for early review!

Review: 10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter

Set Information

Name:
Red Five X-Wing Starfighter

Number:

Theme:
Star Wars Original Trilogy / Exlusives / Hard to Find

Release:
3 May 2013

Parts:
(Press release)
(Shop@Home)

Figures:

Price:
GB £169.99
|
US $199.99
|
EUR 199.99 (Ger)
|
AU $279.99
|
CA $249.99
|
DKK 1699.00
Collect and create the most highly detailed LEGO® Star Wars X-wing Starfighter ever produced. This iconic starfighter is featured in many of the most exciting Star Wars battle scenes, including the decisive battle scene above planet Yavin. Recreate the moment when Luke Skywalker’s X-wing delivered the proton torpedo that led to the destruction of the Imperial Death Star! With 1,558 pieces, this realistically detailed model features opening wings and cockpit, a special display stand, data sheet label and R2-D2.
  • Includes R2-D2 atromech droid
  • Features highly authentic detailing, and opening wings and cockpit
  • Includes 1558 pieces
  • Measures over 10" (26cm) high, 20" (52cm) long and 18" (46cm) wide
  • Includes display stand and data sheet label!

Links ... LEGO Press Release ... Shop@Home ... Brickset ... Bricklink ... Peeron

The Box

8666833537_0da0626547_c.jpg

Click the picture for a larger full-frontal image

The 2013 Star Wars box art has a smart, attractive green tinge to the banner, matching action-Yoda's lightsaber. Recent years have seen a uniform banner for all Star WarsTM merchandise - LEGO or otherwise; it doesn't necessarily match the model in question. Action-Yoda appears only in the prequel episodes II and III; the X-Wing is very much an Original Trilogy set. Moreover, Luke's Red Five X-Wing doesn't go anywhere near the Death Star II pictured in the background; as I recall, we don't see her after Bespin in The Empire Strikes back.

Questionable canon aside, I like the picture: the ship stands out nicely against the dramatic backdrop. The size of the banner (or perhaps of the box) has, however, necessitated the loss of the lower starboard laser to box oblivion. A small inset - also picked out tastefully in green - gives us an idea of the final size of the model.

Around the back, we are treated to the X-Wing in display mode, replete with stand and diminutinve R2-D2, on what might possibly be a Bespin landing platform.

8666841041_639d2a7301_c.jpg

Click the picture for a larger image

Insets show the ship in her most famous role - dodging laser fire in the Death Star trench - and remind us how Luke's Red Five was responsible for the DS's destruction via physics-defying torpedoes. Further insets demonstrate the opening cockpit and wings, and small images show the ship in 'flight mode', with wings closed. The overall effect is neat but a little fussy: I'm not keen on the step between the main image border and the 'torpedo' inset, which exists only to accommodate the set number.

Both sides are identical, with the exception of the 'LEGO Club' logo on the right-hand side; I wonder how necessary this is on an adult-orientated set, but I guess AFOLs have a reasonable chance of having KFOL kids!

8666831161_46b9aec895_c.jpg

You may be pleased to see that the box opens via flaps, with no box-destruction required, and allowing easy storage for a highly collectable set.

Scale is provided on the box top by the image of '1:1' R2-D2, but as he is rather lost in the model itself, the X-Wing's size information is repeated here:

8667931680_0db8ba0d78_c.jpg

The bottom teaches us to say 'Small Parts' in innumerable languages, which I suppose might be useful. :snicker:

I was a little surprised by how big the box isn't:

8667940302_6268a9e7db_c.jpg

Measuring W 578 mm x H 371 mm x D 82 mm, it's roughly the same width as 7191, but some six centimetres shorter and only a centimetre deeper; she feels much smaller, if that makes any sense. :wacko: The weight is similar: 2255 grammes compared to 7191's 2204, and there are 250 more pieces. Presumably this represents TLG's move to more environmentally-friendly packaging; we'll have to see if the larger part count translates to an 'improved' model. :look:

The Instructions

8667088329_370303a05d_c.jpg

You'll be pleased to see that the instructions and stickers are wrapped separately, and cardboard-backed.

Three booklets are contained therein:

8667110297_b40744bae9_c.jpg

All have the same cover image; book 3's cover is noticeably lower quality. Advertisements for the LEGO Club and the LEGO Star Wars site adorn the rear of two of them; I'll give you one guess what's on the back of the third. :hmpf:

The dimensions of the booklet allow for a slightly larger picture of the X-Wing than the box front affords:

8668205812_6c59ea836c_c.jpg

We therefore haven't lost quite so much of the lower starboard laser.

Inside, we are treated to a whole two pages showing the modular construction; the first is shown here:

8668197896_8d5c2c43f3_c.jpg

Here we get a little sneak preview of how the wing-opening mechanism will be achieved. :look: I was surprised to see that the stand is built in module 6, rather than at the end as in most UCS sets.

The rather bland grey-brown background persists throughout all the instruction steps:

8668194870_830d5604eb_c.jpg

Part call-outs and sub-builds are demonstrated clearly; a quick glance suggest there won't be any issues with colour-differentiation; but when I came to build, I did encouter a little difficulty distinguishing between dark tan and light bluish-grey in artificial light. I quickly spotted the error.

Insets depicting the set's principal features are repeated from the box back at the end of manual three:

8667105739_b91e438e80_c.jpg

Click the picture for a larger image

Owners of 7191 will recognise the design of the rear-end knob which opens the wings. Immediately before this is found the set's inventory, spread over three pages; see them here: Page 1, Page 2, and Page 3.

The inside rear cover of manual one advertises the extensive Summer 2013 Star Wars range:

8668192784_f3cc3111e0_c.jpg

I was a little disappointed to find out that we've seen all these already. :sad: I'm no Clone Wars fan, but I love that Mando Speeder. :wub:

DSS

There are two separate sticker sheets; the smaller sports the complex decals for the cockpit:

8682147228_4e8b23aa5e_c.jpg

I was fortunate to receive two of these, so I have a backup for when I screw it up. :laugh:

On the larger sheet are found the display plaque decal, and some detail for the wings, complete with 'battle scars', in addition to a few smaller features.

8681030175_ab780cb48d_c.jpg

Click the picture for a larger image with correct orientation

It is far less complicated than the rather daunting sheet from 7191, though I'm a little disappointed to see that - it seems - the control panel and targeting computer will be stickered.

End of Part One

The Parts

If you were expecting a simple rehash of 7191, prepare to be surprised. :oh:

Eleven numbered polybags fall out of the box, representing ten modules. To spare my sanity, I have kept the parts in their respective modules, and will demonstrate the parts accordingly. This will necessitate a degree of repetition, I'm afraid, but I will do my best to be succinct. If you want to skip ahead, click here.

The first three modules build the rear body section with the wing opening mechanism.

8682003662_65c17e2a11_c.jpg

Bag One contains the worm gear and gearbox - this time in trans-clear, as found in the majority of SYSTEM X-Wings - along with a degree of Technic and the obligatory Brick Separator. I am surprised to see the two suspension springs, and look forward to seeing how they are employed; a number of SNOT parts hint at how the sides of the model will be realised. I have no idea what the Technic, Axle Connector 2 x 3 Quadruple is for; it is new this year, and found elsewhere only in a couple of action figures.

Technic liftarms and pins dominate the selection in Bag Two ...

8682001280_6b40f9a3d0_c.jpg

... but there are also a number of SNOT parts, and different to those of bag one. The Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Studs on 1 Side, which I first encountered in 60016 Tanker Truck, is new this year, and found in Tan only in a couple of Friends sets.

The variety of SNOT parts expands further in Bag Three:

8681998254_42a51c7abc_c.jpg

The highlight of this rather colourless spread is the Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 2 Inverted. It's a new part to me, but I see that it has been around since last year and has already appeared in quite a few sets.

If you look back over the first three modules, you'll see that white 2x4 and 2x3 slope bricks have become a recurring theme. We'll see how these are employed when we come to build it. :wink:

The presence of hinge bricks hint that Bag Four might produce the sloping sides of the forward fuselage:

8681996198_ab1d4ff504_c.jpg

I'm pleased to see the grille tiles in what I think is Flat Silver, and that there are printed controls, after all. Note the odd colours among the hinge bricks. Tan 1x1 round bricks and the rounded ends of the 1x5 Technic plates look familiar to me somehow. :look: The presence of 1x4 plates in light bluish-grey and dark tan can cause a little confusion in the build; it's relatively unusual to find the same parts in similar colours in LEGO sets nowadays.

The lovely cockpit piece rattles around in Bag Five, where I'm sure it gets repeatedly scratched. :sceptic: You'll note that it is a different mold to 7191's - it has clicky-hinge attachments rather than the simple studs of the former; I'm surprised to find it has studs on the upmost surface.

8680881289_3c4c22c476_c.jpg

I was also rather taken aback to find 3x3 plates in this bag: thinking I'd found a new part, I hurried to Bricklink to discover that they appear in the Hobbit set Attack of the Wargs - which has been sitting in front of me since Christmas waiting to be built. :blush: A part I couldn't find is the two pole-clips in the centre-front of the picture: please let me know if these have been found elsewhere.

There are no prizes for guessing what Bag Six is for:

8680879223_7e2aeb8cef_c.jpg

The large 8x16 tile was actually loose in the box, but I've included it here because I have an inkling that this is where it belongs. :wink: This appears to be a new variety of UCS stand, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Next come the parts for the wings. Bags Seven and Eight are effectively mirror-images of each other ...

8681989294_2a5104315d_c.jpg

... but not quite ...

8680875469_093c22d520_c.jpg

... see if you can spot the difference. :look: I've arranged them differently to make it more interesting. :grin: It's odd that the large 6x8 slopes are here in light bluish grey, rather than the expected white of 7191.

There are some nice dark red tiles, more flat silver grilles, and useful quantities of jumper plates. Looking closely at the last, you can see something interesting:

8680867063_07a411d48b_c.jpg

I've grown accustomed to a degree of colour variation in white parts; some are greyish, some creamy. This is rarely noticeable in finished sets, but here, the greyish ones are a different mold - they have a bottom lip.

We're getting there - thank you for sticking with me! Have some engines:

8681985306_f3d706cfd2_c.jpg

I think there's another new part here in Bag Nine: the twenty-four Technic disc-like thingies in the top right. Again, do let me know if you're familiar with these; I trawled Bricklink thoroughly and couldn't find them, but I'm no Technic expert. I even looked in Bionicle! :oh: But not, unfortunately, in Hero Factory. :sad: Thanks, Brickthing! Still, they are new in light bluish-grey, and indeed in any solid colour.

Also notable here are the four 4x4 round plates with centre hole, first seen in the Bag End set; remarkable for their number are the thirty-two 1x2 clippy plates. I'm delighted to see the four trans-pink Fabuland flowers here! :wub:

Bag Ten will build the lasers. Owners of 7191 will not be surprised by the four non-printed droid bodies, or indeed the four Classic Space 2x2-2x2 brackets in light bluish grey.

8681982966_46aeb5eba6_c.jpg

Apparently the 16-toothed gear was reinforced four years ago, but I hadn't noticed till now. :blush: Have a look at the axle connectors at front left of centre: I had thought that the ribbed design - in tan, here - had been replaced by the newer dark bluish grey variety; however, the former do serve a specific role in Technic gearboxes (I seem to remember from 8448), so I guess these are still around.

Parts Verdict:
There's a huge selection of versatile and useful parts here: tiles, plates, jumpers, SNOT bricks will all find a home in my collection; the Technic isn't so appealing to me, but there isn't so much as to be off-putting. A spread of rare parts add greatly to the appeal.

End of Part Two

The Build

We start with the front half of the main body. Plates and bricks are built onto a 4x4 plate with 2x2 hole:

8686214470_d8196bc2f5_c.jpg

I recognise a hole for a UCS stand when I see one. That plate seems ideal for this. Note the two male clicky-hinges, which will be important later. The 1x2 white plate with rail will support something in due course.

Some minor Technic comes into play, and we add the spring suspension pieces, currently doing nothing very much.

8686213382_2e955ac93e_c.jpg

The yellow Technic liftarms are used as bracing. Yellow and tan look awful together :sick: , but they won't be visible from the outside. The red connectors on the axles with the knob-gears aren't attached to anything at the rear end, yet. Note the SNOT plates and bricks on the sides; we'll get very used to clever SNOTting on this model.

X-Wing fans will be familiar with the gearbox - the usual mechanism in SYSTEM and UCS X-Wings (except the latest SYSTEM version 9493, I was surprised to find).

8686210460_9fbc2c6c43_c.jpg

Interestingly, it is placed into the build upside down - it rests on the red connector and rail-plate in the first picture. I was worried that the use of knob-gears would result in jerky movement, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

2x4 and 2x3 slopes, attached to the SNOT parts we have placed, define the shape of the sides. The gap between them will be filled later.

8686208900_f5a7101e01_c.jpg

Now we get to see how those quadruple axle connectors are utilised: they make a pair of paddles (for want of a better word).

These paddles slot into the red connectors mentioned earlier:

8686212008_fe841534ff_c.jpg

Turning the central connector drives the worm gear, which rotates the paddles in opposite directions, and we begin to get an idea of how the wing mechanism will work. Note the single Technic brick at the near end of the picture: this will attach the rear section shortly.

Moving onto Bag 2, we encounter some serious Technic. Love it or hate it, you can't deny it is useful. Personally, I find pushing innumerable liftarms onto multiple pins to be rather tiresome, but as it isn't immediately obvious what you're building, that is compensated for by the intrigue :grin: :

8685259007_ebae35b243_c.jpg

Two S-shaped constructions in opposite orientations result. They come together to produce what can only be described as an 'X' shape. :look:

The 'X' is slotted into the build, with the paddles between the layers.

8686376366_12cb4a845e_c.jpg

Note the black 2L liftarms on the lower surfaces, and the black stop-bush pins in pairs on the front edges. Neither of these are doing anything ... yet.

A two-stud wide block is lined with sandwiches of SNOT bricks and plates, and braced with Technic. Not visible on the front is a single pin ...

8685256061_d3cd771d0c_c.jpg

... which connects to the Technic brick on the rear of the main body. Long plates strengthen this connection, and the suspension springs are married to the 2L liftarms on the lower edges of the 'X'. We finally find out what they are for! They hold the 'X' in 'closed' position. You might have guessed this already. :laugh:

Here's what we have so far. I wonder what the two dark bluish-grey jumper plates on the upper surface will be for? :hmpf:

8686488342_086bbf370a_c.jpg

I should point out at this stage a slight oddity. The 'X' has - by necessity - an asymmetrical construction, but this results in a colour difference between the sides, with white liftarms on the nearside upper surface. Undoubtedly white was chosen here to prevent confusion between the different lengths of liftarm; whether this will be particularly noticeable on the finished model remains to be seen.

Bag 3 builds the rear end, and a number of small panels.

8685367643_ca9aeb020b_c.jpg

The former is an attractive greebled structure, with more interesting SNOT work lining the sides and rear; the expected 4x4 round brick-radar dish assembly - which will open the wings - is placed onto a short axle with a 20-tooth bevel gear at the other end. This will mesh with the 12-tooth gear visible on this picture, resulting in two effects: a reversal of rotation, and a slight gearing up. We'll see examine the outcome of these effects later in the review.

A number of small panels will fill some of the gaps in the model so far:

8685364891_f87c69bb06_c.jpg

Note the recess produced by the use of the car roof piece ...

... this is necessary to accommodate the knob gear, which protrudes beyond the sides of the model:

8686484988_8fd6d9e99c_c.jpg

It's a clever use of this piece to solve a problem without detracting from the aesthetics. :thumbup: There's quite a gap around the Technic 'X'; hopefully this won't be too apparent on the finished ship.

Opening Bag 4, we move onto the forward fuselage. Owners of 7191 will find this section hauntingly familiar, but there are some notable differences. So far, the build has been nicely paced; this bit crawls along, with some steps only adding a single part. :sceptic:

8686044157_d34783a2a3_c.jpg

Like in 7191, 1x4 bricks with groove form the proton torpedo tubes; if you've read my recent 7191 review, you may remember I pointed out the use of 1x2 slopes to mimic 'rudder' pedals in the cockpit: well, this one has proper pedals! The 1x2 clippy-hinges and grille tiles look great ... even if they don't do anything. Note the 'gap' under the long light bluish-grey plate: this is formed by the use of two 1x6 tiles; I don't know why they didn't just use another 2x6 brick here. :def_shrug:

A familiar technique produces the sides of the fuselage. Even the 1x5 round-end Technic plate is borrowed from 7191! I don't know why different-coloured hinge-bricks have been used on the right-hand ends. :look:

8687160286_c610196c12_c.jpg

Inverted slopes and SNOT-mounted wedges decorate the underside; there's a meaningful gap between them. :wink:

The latter detail is the main difference to 7191 here.

8686040971_317bc5321d_c.jpg

Compare this picture to the same stage from 7191. 10240's sides are far less fussy.

Incidentally, the connection between the slanting sides and the main body isn't an exact number of studs. With a 28-stud long hypotenuse, and a 2-stud long short side, the long side of the triangle this produces is 0.6 mm too short - this is (presumably) withing the tolerances of LEGO bricks, as it seems to work fine. See here for a visual explanation.

Edit: The connection is correct: see here for the explanation. Thanks to Anio and Eric Leppen for correcting me on this!

Bag 5 is another 'bitty' build.

8686150385_9ffa8bd212_c.jpg

Curved wedge slopes - not available in 2000 - are better at reproducing the smooth outline of the X-Wing's nose, but I'm not so sure about the flat front. Like 7191, it is attached with a 2x2 plate with hole - see here - but there isn't the interposed tile, so the nose of 10240 has a little more play when attached.

The upper surface of the fuselage is an attractively-contoured bilayer of plates:

8687265450_1ba32e168d_c.jpg

There should be a sticker on the transverse 1x4 grey tile.

The rear-end greebles are finally built, as a separate panel:

8687264158_2a805e0bda_c.jpg

The cockpit chair, with control stick, targeting computer, R2-D2 ( :hmpf: ), and cargo door (!) are added. The last's female clicky-hinges will connect to the males we encountered at the very beginning. The final construction in the centre is meant to be built in situ, but I've made it separately.

At this stage, cockpit canopy is added, and the fuselage will be complete - but I've chosen to avoid spoilers. :grin: We're at the half-way point in the build.

I was a little surprised to be building the display stand at this point, but this is the first point at which the model can be mounted onto it without it over-balancing, and I guess it will make it a little easier to add the wings.

8687381423_9a21dedb6f_c.jpg

It's a beautiful, curvy thing. :wub: The central column rests slightly off the vertical; it can swivel by a few degrees to be more-or-less perpendicular, but doesn't lock into position here. In common with the more recent 'UCS' sets, a single large tile allows you to place the information sticker without sacrificing lots of 1x8 tiles.

Bags 7 and 8 build pairs of identical wings. The 'right-hand' ones come first:

8688604186_d97c2d26a3_c.jpg

Jumper plates are used to approximate the slant of the transverse red stripe, and to space the shorter 'Red Five' stripes more closely together. It appears that the sole attachment to the main body will be via the liftarms; I wonder if the wings will twist slightly when the lasers are added? :look:

The wing underside will be visible when the wings are opened; the liftarm attachment is framed quite nicely here:

8688603136_c4da63fe89_c.jpg

The large light bluish-grey slope looks a little incongruous; it will be covered by a sticker. Some SNOT on the front of the wedge section mimics detail here for which a STAMP sticker was used in 7191. :thumbup:

The left-hand wings ...

8688915852_8894995177_c.jpg

... are mirror-images of the right-hand wings, identical except for one tiny difference. Can you see what it is?

Bag 9 takes us into the third instuction manual, and we start with four odd things:

8688006665_fab3d04229_c.jpg

These will form the rear attachments for the wings: they slide into the axle holes of the liftarms, but these are round holes, not axle holes, to they aren't gripped. They will later be secured via the central hole of the 3-wide connector.

Next come the engines. These can be a little tricky (made worse because at this point I chopped a chunk out of my thumb whilst slicing bread :blush: ).

8688006433_0c8ef9844b_c.jpg

Note how the pickaxe - which forms the 'T' of the engine intake - is attached via a 2-wide axle connector. I was surprised to see a 2x2 round plate inside a 4x4 round plate with central hole: the usual 4x4 round plate below doesn't have an axle slot; this provides extra grip for the dark tan axle. You have to be careful to orient the round parts correctly when placing the side tile via the blue stud-pins, or the 'T' will end up upside down.

If you hadn't figured already, the (possibly) new Technic Hero Factory disc creates the side detail of the engine exhausts. The first two discs are pinned together; this is probably to ensure they are orientated the same way rather than adding strength.

8688004517_d11ed6fc43_c.jpg

Clippy hinges wrap around the trans-pink parts to make attractive nozzles. :thumbup:

The exhaust slides onto the protruding axle of the engine eccentrically:

8689123790_e7e4ddf622_c.jpg

This allows the 3-wide exhaust to attach, off-centre, to the 4-wide engine. Simple, but nice. :thumbup: There's a studded gap between them, though, and we'll have to see if the exhausts will tend to sag over time. The tan frictionless pins are the only means of attachment of the engines onto the wings.

Last and least - in terms of part quantity, Bag 10 provides the wing laser cannons.

8688147179_393df0d787_c.jpg

Using droid bodies and 2x2-2x2 angle brackets to attach to the wings, their basic construction is the same as 7191, though the ribbed tubes on two of the cannons are replaced by stripes, and the 'flashback suppressors' comprise clicky-hinges rather than a single dual-inverted slop piece; white parts are used for the cannon body too.

The 'new' design of the 16-toothed gear needs special mention here:

8689266654_3f1c153d04_c.jpg

It interlocks with the studs! The old one does too, but not tightly like this. You almost don't need the axle.

If you have faithfully followed the instructions, you will have a complete model now - all sections are added to the main build as they are completed, and some pieces are placed directly onto the model. I've tried to keep all the subsections separate:

8688240055_0d48ce5208_c.jpg

It is interesting to note that - although this is very much a modular build - it doesn't completely result in separate modules. This is in contrast to 7191 which, in all its 'pour all the pieces onto the carpet' goodness - does produce discrete parts which you can fit together at the end.

Build Verdict:
Some complex but intriguing Technic taxes your thumbs; there is a huge amount of delightful SNOT work at play, and it's great fun seeing the body take shape. The forward fuselage suffers a little for being similar to 7191, but there are some unexpected features to keep it fresh. The necessary repetition of the wings and engines is minimised by allowing you to batch-build. The build is interesting: in places challenging; at other times a little slow, but the whole is thoroughly enjoyable.

End of Part Three

The Complete Set

8692651697_bae628d623_c.jpg

And here she is! :wub: Look, I even applied the stickers. :look: More on them later; here are some first impressions.

The lines and livery are smart. Notwithstanding that the X-Wing is supposed to have a 'patched-up' appearance - which explains the broken red stripe - the choice of colours blends together well, and the body is contoured smoothly, giving her a neat, almost sculpted look. The use of dark red, and the 'cleaner' bluish-greys, helps greatly here.

The ship's low front profile is imposing. I love the 'T' shape produced by the ice pick pieces, and the detailing on the wedges of the wings is incredibly effective for something so simple (and saves four nasty STAMPs).

8694291596_baeebb6f9b_c.jpg

One thing that is apparent is the slight 'droop' of the wings in their closed position. This is caused simply by their weight bending the long plates and liftarms of the wing structure. They could be strengthened, but that would add to the weight and might make the problem worse (or at least add to the price). Note also that the stand appears a little crooked: I'll explain a bit later on.

X-Wings look great from the rear, and this one excels. Look at those gorgeous exhausts! :wub_drool: The rear body is beautifully shaped, thanks to the SNOT 2x4 and 2x4 slopes.

8693172349_e7bae821f5_c.jpg

This is a good opportunity to point out the design of the laser pylons. Note that diagonally opposite poles are striped, or plain. The stripe ought to be a spiral, as you can see here, but it's still a nod to accuracy.

The engines are each only attached via two frictionless pins, but they are remarkably sturdy; you can stand the model on them:

8698656105_5c3e5f491d_o.jpg8699779632_04e000d16f_o.jpg

Click each frame for a larger picture

Note how well the colours are placed in both of these views. Bluish-grey is used only in flashes, and tastefully; the majority is smooth white. With the stickers applied, the large light bluish-grey slopes of the wings are greatly softened, whilst producing a shade which is perhaps closer to the X-Wing's real colour than LEGO white. The red stripes stand out beautifully.

If you compare to the schematics, you can see that the overall dimensions are mimicked closely. The engines could perhaps be a little fatter (at least at their front ends), and the fuselage is perhaps a little too narrow. Ideally, the cockpit should taper, but there are other issues with the cockpit canopy and I think the designers have chosen a reasonable compromise.

This is my favourite angle. Look at the 'Red Five' stripes. I struggled to find a good image from the movies, but if you look at this render, you can see how the stripes have been placed narrowly together in the LEGO version. They aren't perfect - limited by the lengths of the 1x2 tiles - but it's a nice touch. Even the transverse stripe has been 'slanted' to reasonable effect.

8693170891_67b247a1bb_c.jpg

Note also the white colouring on the laser cannons, which seems to be appropriate to the real thing. Also, here we can see the gap produced by the wing opening mechanism. The choice of mechanism necessitates this; it's a little more obvious than I would like, but doesn't detract especially from the aesthetics in most views.

Viewed from the side, we can admire the 'interrupted' red stripe along the fuselage. I think that this is meant to represent areas where the body has been patched, and is certainly accurate to the real Red Five, at least in so much as various models would suggest. The tan parts reflect areas which look a faded yellow on the real thing, again to good effect; sources seem to vary on their placement, though.

8693169343_783998e654_c.jpg

Note how the wings tilt forward somewhat. This is caused by the weight of the laser pylons. Interestingly, if you look at the angle of the engine on this studio model of Red Three, this might actually be authentic (although it might also be a consequence of the model's construction in that case, too).

The picture above also reveals the 'native' display angle produced by the stand. You can reverse the stand ...

8693169241_5ec3af165a_c.jpg

... producing what I think of as the 'Dagobah' position. :laugh: This could be useful if you want to display the model on a high shelf.

The stand upright does move, but it doesn't lock into position at any other angle ...

8694284710_b61e715469_c.jpg

... unless you modify it. Here I have made the ship sit just off horizontal by wedging a Technic axle through the upright. See here for a picture.

The stand in its usual position does allow for a great view of the underside:

8694470748_270149888e_c.jpg

Note again the smart colours, and the contouring of plates along the bottom; the recesses with the grooved-bricks are a reasonable facsimile of the proton torpedo tubes along the body of the real X-Wing.

Features

8694467248_a2253c7dcb_c.jpg

Zooming in on the underside, we can see how inverted slopes, inverted wedges and SNOT-mounted wedges smooth the transition between the forward and rear fuselage.

Between these is a panel which opens via clicky-hinges:

8694469990_d698d4c150_c.jpg

It's the Cargo Door! And a great representation too! It opens further than this, but there isn't a huge space behind; enough perhaps for the advertised 110kg, or Jek Porkins. :laugh:

Here's what it should look like:

75-luke-skywalker-xwing-r2d2-x-wing-yoda-dagobah.jpg

Picture from www.starwars5.com

Note also the proton tubes, and the hexagonal shape of the fuselage; the latter has yet to be replicated in an official LEGO X-Wing.

The cockpit deserves some attention. The canopy opens fully, without removing R2-D2, though in fairness the real one doesn't, and actually pivots at the top surface.

8693344351_8399fcaec7_c.jpg

The stickered wedge isn't a patch on 7191's wonderful printed part, but it's undoubtedly better than a plain piece. Instead we get a curvy pilot's chair ...

... and a targeting computer. Its sticker is spot on. It also swivels, and if you reverse the 6L stop-pole, it can be made to slide out of the way, though in vertical poistion it interferes with the canopy.

8693347431_5f752ab0d0_c.jpg

Beyond we find the control column, and two generic printed LEGO computers do a good job. You can also just make out the 'rudder' pedals - such a great touch, and it's a shame they aren't easier to see. :wub:

I remember in the promotional video that the designer pointed out the inclusion of the 'T' of the engine intakes. In what is a definite Nice Part Usage, they are recreated using minifigure ice axes, which are secured into 2L axle connectors, and sit tightly at the correct angle. These curvy parts aren't perfect, but I'm delighted by their inclusion. :thumbup:

8694460796_0eb7c77710_c.jpg

Also visible are the SNOT parts on the front aspect of the wing wedges, which are surprisingly effective at recreating the detail here without resorting to stickers.

I am not at all surprised that a minifigure R2-D2 has been used. :hmpf: He's too small. I think a 3x3 (printed) dome would be the ideal size, but such a part doesn't exist, to my knowledge; I'd gladly sacrifice R2's body for a more realistic size.

8694457144_6d2848ab71_c.jpg

R2 looks like he's playing some vinyl on what looks suspiciously like a turntable behind him. :laugh: The greebles here are smart, but I'm a little saddened by the lack of mysterious tubes and levers. Judging by this model, the straight lines might be appropriate, but the studio model has the tubes I'm looking for.

More greebles adorn the rear panel. It's tricky to find good picture of this area, but judging by this one, the radar dish/wing-opening knob is an authentic feature.

8694454672_a1d86f6c38_c.jpg

Are you admiring those engines? :wub: If not, doo eet naow! Those Hero Factory discs do a great job of adding texture to the sides, and the clippy-hinges very effectively mimic the longitudinal stripes on the nozzles. :thumbup: But should the lights be pink? :look:

Most sources show the lights as red, but I think the designer went here:

640px-Xwing_sublight_engines.png

It's Wookieepedia: it must be right! :laugh: Or maybe here. Any excuse to put Fabuland flowers into a Star Wars model is all right with me.

Stickers

STickers Across Multiple Pieces were a major flaw of 7191, and why I didn't apply them. How does 10240 shape up in that regard?

There are no STAMPs, but large stickers still require some care to apply successfully. The four large decals for the wing surfaces are each unique, and you have to be careful to get the orientation correct, in addition to ensuring they are level.

8694452112_9bf8a58d3a_c.jpg

The effect pleasingly reproduces the texture on the wing wedges, and covers up the expanse of bluish-grey that the bare part would leave. Note the 'blemish' on the nearside of this example, which is meant to represent wear-and-tear. Each sticker has different blemishes, in addition to a difference in the placement of the nearside rectangle.

Even The LEGO Co. admit that the cockpit canopy sticker isn't easy: there's a whole instruction page devoted to it!

8693331789_7f98b0b6ab_c.jpg

Despite the detailed directions, mine still looks like there's a heavy rainstorm. :hmpf_bad: I'll admit the sticker does enhance the look. Note how the canopy piece marries exactly with the 1x3 slope behind - just like in 7191 - but the clicky hinges and the stickered tile in front ensure it sits flush when closed.

Two small decals adorn the sides of the fuselage:

8694446562_9f9eb148db_c.jpg

The instructions tell you to place the 'ZZ' sticker on this side, and the 'red spade' on the other, but the cover image has both of these stickers on the other side. I've chosen to place the 'spades' symmetrically on both sides, and the 'ZZ' on this side with its mirror image on the other. The parts can be reversed if that's wrong. :def_shrug:Here's the red spade.

Finally, there's the all-important 'UCS' sticker:

8693326789_ebabc23095_c.jpg

I wish I had taken inspiration from the cockpit canopy decal instructions here: mine decided to attach itself irrevocably on first contact, slightly skew, and the black spot in the top left corner is actually an air bubble that no amount of thumbing will get rid of. The decals are also quite easy to scratch. :sceptic: I applaud the use of the 6x16 tile to eliminate the need for STAMPs here, and I appreciate the need for decals, but I really wish these large adult-orientated sets would employ waterslide transfers rather than stickers.

End of Part Four

Wings Open

8697225600_ae886b5188_c.jpg

Of course, it is with its wings opened in their iconic 'X' that the X-Wing is best known and recognised. We'll have a good look around the model in 'attack' mode, and spend a little time examining the mechanism. You might notice that, here, I've placed the model on the stand sideways, giving the ship an interesting bank angle; however, the lower left laser is in contact with the floor in this position, and the whole feels a little precarious. :look:

With the stand in this position, you can balance the ship more vertically, as seen on the box back. I certainly wouldn't recommend leaving it in the above 'banking' pose; whether or not this was the cause, I later noticed a horrible effect on my stand:

8696101467_bfa67507a3_c.jpg

*oh2* The display stand looks a little wonky in all my pictures, if you go back and look. :sad: I'll have to put the ship on the other way, and see if I can twist it back!

Anyhoo, we're here to talk about the wings.

8697238642_7e5ba93300_c.jpg

'Attack mode' X-Wing's predatory stance is brought to life with a few twists of the rear knob. This also rotates the 'T's of the engine intakes, and the 'flashback suppressors' on the tips of the laser pylons; both true to the real ship, although the effects look a little exaggerated in this pose.

This may be because I have over-extended the wings a little; it is possible to open them less far.

8696120745_1e392530b6_c.jpg

The beauty of the Technic 'X' central to the wing mechanism is that diagonally-opposite wings are a single item, so you don't have to worry about the wings not opening accurately; however, as you can see in this picture, the weight of the wings causes the upper two to sit more horizontal than the lower pair in this position. I don't think there's much that can be done about that. At least it wouldn't be a problem in space! Once again, here's the schematic for reference. Note that I've taken this shot from slightly above; in a true front-on view the nose would sit higher.

Talking of the nose ...

8696121309_f5c6eb5da2_c.jpg

I've refrained from mentioning it so far, but I think this is the weakest part of the set. I like the use of the curved wedges, which seem ideal for replicating the smooth contours of the nose, and the 'slot' in the centre (which represents a sensor array), but the tip of the nose is too blunt. It should come to an edge, like a chisel. I'm not a huge fan of the dark bluish-grey wedges, either. :sceptic: For such a prominent feature, it's a shame that this hasn't received a little more design attention.

With the wings open, there's a gaping hole in the side of the rear body:

8696109745_4a153a6dcc_c.jpg

This is unavoidable, and - frankly - I'm not even sure what this area should look like. Even the schematic is inaccurate in this respect: it's side view suggests the wings are together at their inboard edges, which can't be right. Most images of the real X-Wing hide this area in shadow; this model suggests there is something of a gap, but even this looks a little impractical.

I'm quite happy with LEGO's solution. It even bears some resemblance to this full-size replica! The gap isn't especially obtrusive (can a hole be obtrusive? :wacko: ), and affords us a glimpse of the mechanism in action:

8697224068_91d891a146_c.jpg

Here we see the aforementioned paddles at their vertical position. Note also the white liftarms; they are only really visible from this perspective, and you could argue they reflect the 'patched-up' nature of the ship.

You may remember I mentioned in the build section a slight gearing up, and a reversal of the rotation of the worm gear axle. It takes exactly four whole turns of the knob to move the wings from horizontal to maximum opening; without the up-gear that would be over six turns, and considerable effort. However, opening the wings via paddles has another effect: it doesn't matter which way you turn the knob. :classic: Keep turning the knob, and the wings close again!

This gave me a little idea. You may remember some Technic holes in the rear panel. I thought they looked ideal for attaching an XL motor:

Please excuse my sucky video. :blush: I'm not sure why you'd want to motorise your X-Wing in this way, but it allowed me to demonstrate the mechanism in action without too many Interfering Hands. I've used a rechargeable battery as it has a speed control; full speed is a little fast! I've also tried to show how little resistance there is to moving the wings manually; in the 'closed' position they will flap if you twist the model violently, but are remarkably stable otherwise, and the 'X' construction means you can invert the model without the wings falling off. :thumbup: Finally, at the end of the video I've 'wobbled' one of the engines - there's a little play here, caused by their attachment via only two frictionless pins.

Of course, we absolutely must have a Death Star Trench pose:

8697229072_4310e13b85_c.jpg

With the wings open, the gap above the engines disappears altogether. The cutaway in the wing underside - where the Technic structure is attached - is sculpted, and looks very much like a design feature.

Finally, this is - in my opinion - the X-Wing's best angle by far:

8696113339_a3782255c0_c.jpg

Beautiful. :wub: I have nothing else to say here. Have some thumbnails of other views:

8697227740_4fd222c04a_m.jpg8696111683_6b62a5d343_m.jpg8697237522_65d572f2a5_m.jpg

End of Part Five

10240 vs 7191

8690402756_19a853c843_c.jpg

Yes, there's a good reason I rebuilt and re-reviewed the old classic 7191. :blush: To be fair to both, I've compared them without stickers. Please bear in mind that 7191 is thirteen years old and rather yellowed. 7191 sits slightly higher on her stand, making this shot possible.

Ostensibly, their shape is the same. 10240's forward fuselage is longer, and more nicely tapered; partly, this due to a better use of colours, but you may notice that the cockpit (and R2-D2) is more accurately placed further forward of the engine intakes.

8689291403_894cab86b2_c.jpg

You might argue that 7191's choice of bright red is more realistic, but I certainly think the dark red is smarter. The 'Red Five' stripes are far better in the newer version, spaced more accurately with jumper plates. The clicky hinges do a better job of laser flashback suppressors than the earlier double-inverted slopes.

As I pointed out in my 7191 review, her wings sit tilting slightly upwards; 10240's tend to droop with gravity:

8689293421_6cbb317a3b_c.jpg

The newer X-Wing's fuselage is wonderfully rounded, and the 'T's of the engines are a vast improvement. Without stickers, the plain white of the front edges of 7191's wings looks rather spartan; simple though they are, I dig the minor greebling parts 10240 uses here. :thumbup:

7191 edges it slightly in the rear-end greebles; 10240's may be more accurate, but you can't beat arcane tubing and whatnot:

8689297457_0390602393_c.jpg

However, 10240's engines knock her elder sister's socks off. Much as I love the barrels and flowerpots, 7191's spindly offerings look entirely too puny compared to the newer ship's chunky wonders - and the new ones won't get knocked off by passing fleas! :grin:

Likewise, the new tidier rear is a significant improvement over 7191's retro backside:

8689288749_6c271cbcc4_c.jpg

I still like the tank treads fronting 7191's laser cannons, and I miss the tan here, but I do think 10240's look better, especially with the white areas.

Blocky though it may be, I do find I prefer 7191's nose. It has the 'chisel' look I'd expect; 10240's stubby affair is, I think, her weakest point. Your Mileage May Vary.

8689278987_3d768b46bb_c.jpg

Mostly, though, this shot proves one thing: the two can be displayed together. Don't use ownership of 7191 as an excuse to miss out on this new beauty. :wink:

End of Part Six

Conclusion

8697240332_0e761fc2b8_c.jpg

Thirteen years have passed since its inception, and the Ultimate Collector Series has lost its name but certainly none of its panache, and finally it has come full circle. 7191 is a hard act to follow: she stands up well even in the face of newer techniques, parts, and colours; however, she had a number of flaws. Her successor has addressed these magnificently: the wings open smoothly, with a more accurate mechanism, and won't fall off in a light breeze; the shape is vastly improved, using some wonderful SNOT work that will delight the builder, and the Cargo Door and its surrounding area look fantastic; the livery is smartened, and the 'Red Five' stripes finally look realistic; and then there are those gorgeous engines. :wub: Gone are the STickers Across Multiple Pieces; placing them still isn't without some difficulty, but at least you can dismantle the set now. :grin:

Of course there has to be a downside, but I'm delighted to say that 10240's flaw's aren't numerous. A slight gap in the body around the wing mechanism might bother some; I can live with it. The stand - although far less wobbly than its predecessor - seems to have a tendency to twist, at least in my case. R2-D2 continues to insist on being too small. And I really am not keen on the new nose.

But these, even taken all together, are minor flaws. 10240 is an excellent rendition of the classic X-Wing; a delight to build, to display, and to own.

Design
Beautifully sculpted, with a smart and accurate livery, 10240 is a thing of beauty. The various flaws of the earlier X-Wing have been dealt with effortlessly, and the new wing mechanism works extremely well. Only the blunt nose loses a point here for me.

Build
Technic-haters might disagree with this score, but like in 10225 R2-D2, the Technic here is well-hidden and necessary. Its use is intriguing, which makes up for the sore thumbs. Mostly the build is delightful, with some fantastic SNOT-work producing the body contours, and many little surprises that will even please owners of the former; even the necessary repetition is handled in such a way as to prevent boredom. I loved every minute of this build.

Parts
A huge number of useful SNOT parts, jumper plates, and hinges sit alongside an array of plates, tiles, and bricks that will find a place in most collections. Technic parts may or may not be useful depending on your
penchant
; some rare or unique parts make this an excellent selection.

Display & Function
She looks great on the shelf, and is fun to fiddle with as you pass. Mostly, she'll be a great dinner-party centrepiece that even your non-LEGO friends will admire.

Value
At £109, 7191 seems like excellent value now. £109 in 2000
to £159 nowadays; add in 250 extra parts and this set looks very reasonable indeed.

Overall 96% My Score 10/10 A superb set. I think this is the highest score I've ever given. :look: If you missed 7191, you really shouldn't miss out on this one. In fact, you really should get this one anyway. :thumbup:

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the review. Please let me know what you think of the set!

Rufus

Resources

My flickr Set

10240 X-Wing Starfighter on Shop@Home

T-65 X-Wing Starfighter on Wookieepedia

LEGO Star Wars Site

My other UCS Reviews:

8667021158_b76a50e2c3_t.jpg 7152067115_eac56b6413_t.jpg 5123829391_5d522ec197_t.jpg 5124432708_7a9ecdf404_t.jpg 5124419390_2dbe295c6e_t.jpg 5716790204_ddf847fa9e_t.jpg 

Acknowledgments

A big thank you once again to The LEGO Group and Kim Thomsen for providing this set for early review! :wub:

Brickthing for Hero Factory help

Hinckley for advice

Pandora for seeing me through toasting injuries and tantrums :wub:

Picture acknowledgements:

The Complex by Nuukeer on

;
;

on

originally on

on

from

from

from

on

on

If you like my reviews, and would like to learn how it's done, please consider joining the Reviewers Academy:

rathumbsm.png

Edited by Rufus
Fixed a typo

Thanks for this great review, Rufus. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought the original, so I'm very happy this came out. I think this is a significant improvement. The original red looks orange in your comparison photos!

Great review Rufus! It's a bit of a shame that the canopy isn't printed, but other than that I definitely think it is a vast improvement over the first one!

What an epic review Rufus, I love your extremely thorough reviews, I cannot wait to get my X-Wing.

Usually my favorite part about a stellar review is getting to experience the set without having to own it, but I am getting this set no matter what.

So now I get to marvel at what is a Rufus Review. Simply outstanding! You cover sets in such great detail it's hard to believe you were ever taking advice from me :wink:. You are without a doubt one of the top EB reviewers ever!

I do not own the original so the comparison was very welcome and appreciated. I am surprised at how similar they are but that also reassures me that by obtaining the new one (which has better color IMO) I am getting everything I need.

For me the biggest noticable difference is the thrusters. I like the new ones because like a current jet engine you can adjust the flaps or whatever they are called to adjust the thrust, it just looks more realistic.

A fantastic review and an awesome set that I cannot wait to add to my collection.

Awesome review and comparison between the two sets.

Seems like a good and fun set to build

Yep - Fantastic review! I was hesitant in committing to this set when first announced, but now see it as a worthy addition to the line. Am looking forward to getting it when released!

Oh alright, then, I'm sold XD

I'm really surprised how similar the two models seem to look and yet how different they are built. I like the x type wing mechanism. I discovered it on Mike's x-wing model and found it really clever. (So much so that I bricklinked all the part to build myself one ^^). I wonder how much of an influence that was on the designers (if at all...)

Anyway. I can't wait for the end of my move so I can get my hands on one...

Thank you for the review! I'm glad they released this set as it's such a brilliant chance for people who have missed the first one to get and enjoy! :classic:

Oh dear, what a review ... and as i wished ... you've not forgotten the comparison with the old and still outstanding finish of 7191 :blush:

One true:

Don't use ownership of 7191 as an excuse to miss out on this new beauty. :wink:

I will do my very best :wink:

Great review - my Red 5 has been ordered and is on the way! Might need to MOC the nose cone though...

Thank you very much for this great review!

I wanted to wait until christmans to get this set... But I have to think about that as I am going to our local LEGO Shop today as I want to get the special Han May the 4th figure :wacko:

That's what I call a review! :sweet:

It's really nice to have those reference pics, thanks!

It's a nice model, that maybe deserve a more solid stand. I'm not fan of the nose, but I don't see how I could do better...

If the B-wing wasn't my OT favorite starfighter, I might buy that X-wing...

Thanks again Rufus :thumbup:

Fantastic review of a fantastic set, Rufus - great job ! A must-buy set.

If I have a criticism it's the teeny R2-D2 behind the cockpit.... A UCS Jedi Starfighter-style printed dome would have looked better IMHO.

D.

A truly epic and extremely detailed review that I have ever seen! It is an excellent source of superb insightful material! More importantly, I am very impressed with the sheer high quality pictures and structure that you have placed in this review where everyone of us could enjoy every single moment of it! I am really very excited of this and I am really very glad you did such an outstanding job for our EB community!

A million thanks to you, Rufus old buddy! :wub:

A part I couldn't find is the two pole-clips in the centre-front of the picture: please let me know if these have been found elsewhere.

this part, love it so useful better than using hands to hold things onto all the time http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=11090

great review, mmm need to sell more LEGO on bricklink, to buy this, mmm

Edited by spzero