Sign in to follow this  

I found this book on Amazon today:

51E3tqBYFjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It only has a couple of reviews and the reviewers are complaining about the black and white images but don't say much else about it. Does anyone own this book who could offer a bit more about the content? I am curious how it compares to Sariel's book.

I am also not familiar with the author. Does anyone know Mark Rollins or his work from another forum or site?

Barman said on LOWlug (a Dutch lug) that he and Jurgen Krooshoop were asked for the book to be technical reviewers. This is what he said (translated):

Nice fact; me (barman) and Jurgen Krooshoop were asked to help as technical reviewers, but to be clear: DON"T BUY THIS BOOK.

Mark seems to be good with technical things, but clearly no Lego Technic and Power Functions. I stopped after 2 chapters, because I didin't liked the arrogant and selfish way of writing and I had to fix everything that was wrong. I could've written my own book in the same time. Jurgen did a few chapters too. I and Jurgen agreed that his constructions are weak and illogical, with gear connections I've never seen before. And most of the examples won't work.

I recieved the book this week (january 2013) as a gift for the help. I can be short about this: too expensive, too soft cover, black/white photos (unclear), low quaity paper and not really thick. About 50% of the book are instructions that are unclear because of the black/white photo's.

If you want a Technic book you can use, buy Sariel's "The Unofficial LEGO Technic Builders Guide".

I hope it's a bit readable, English is not my native :grin: , but I think the message is clear.....

Hopefully this link works correctly......no it doesn't,but if you scroll through the 'surprise me' you will find a page about the muppet author.

About the author

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Hmmm, the author (Mark Rollins) is in nearby Pullman, Washington (about 90 miles from me), but I never heard of him.

Personally I don't see the point in books like these (even good ones).

The beauty of Lego is that a toddler can pick up a few bricks and immediately and intuitively know what to do with them.

I can't see any need for a book on 'how to build Lego', just like there's no need for a book on 'how to ride a bike'. LEGO Education's own exercise workbooks for students don't even need to explain how to use the pieces, they illustrate real-word examples with the odd diagram on how a lever or cam might work.

Edited by Ape Fight

I can't see any need for a book on 'how to build Lego', just like there's no need for a book on 'how to ride a bike'. LEGO Education's own exercise workbooks for students don't even need to explain how to use the pieces, they illustrate real-word examples with the odd diagram on how a lever or cam might work.

And then you show something a little more complex on YouTube, and one third of the comments is "give me instruction / how did you do that / I don't believe you do that / where did you buy that" type. There is a lot of theoretical knowledge behind more advanced MOCs, and, sadly, this kind of knowledge doesn't just pop into your head upon picking a few bricks.

And besides: http://www.amazon.co...o/dp/0944353223

Edited by Sariel

The beauty of Lego is that a toddler can pick up a few bricks and immediately and intuitively know what to do with them.

Well if you think about it, most people learn how to build using the instruction books, or at least get ton of ideas from them.

And then you show something a little more complex on YouTube, and one third of the comments is "give me instruction / how did you do that / I don't believe you do that / where did you buy that" type. There is a lot of theoretical knowledge behind more advanced MOCs, and, sadly, this kind of knowledge doesn't just pop into your head upon picking a few bricks.

And besides: http://www.amazon.co...o/dp/0944353223

Well said Sariel well said :laugh: besides Sariel's book is way more than how to build with Lego, he explains all the meanings of the words and explains stuff, making it a great read :sweet:

Brilliant. There is actually a book on how to ride a bike. :sceptic:

Still, I maintain my thinking that the best builders figure it out for themselves. Nothing new or amazing can ever be invented by copying.

Inspiration, now that's a different matter, and I get plenty of that from you Sariel!

Edited by Ape Fight

Brilliant. There is actually a book on how to ride a bike. :sceptic:

Still, I maintain my thinking that the best builders figure it out for themselves. Nothing new or amazing can ever be invented by copying.

Inspiration, now that's a different matter, and I get plenty of that from you Sariel!

Well I share the same opinion,I also take inspiration from all the builders as there is always something new to be learned.

I have picked a theme (plant and trucks) with I understand a fair bit about which helps me to build my moc's.

I have token advice in the past when I just started building moc's,but now I try to figure things out my self.

Well I share the same opinion,I also take inspiration from all the builders as there is always something new to be learned.

I have picked a theme (plant and trucks) with I understand a fair bit about which helps me to build my moc's.

I have token advice in the past when I just started building moc's,but now I try to figure things out my self.

Same.

Have you read Sariel's book? I've got it and it's practically an engineering text, simple enough for most to understand, that happens to use Lego for the mechanicals. It's a GREAT book and I might have to go read it again for fun :) Basically, sure, anyone can put bricks together, but can just anyone figure out how to make complicated Technic mechanisms work? Maybe if they spent long enough with trial and error, but a good book on the topic can actually teach them how to design it better.