Mini Tractor Set Review

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shine

Shine

• Cousin It !!

Member: 1315

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

Please excuse the pirated pictures, my camera was being insubordinate when I was writing this.

Set name: Mini Tractor
Set number: 8281
Line: Technic
Piece count: 121
Recommended ages: 7-13
Suggested price: $10.00
Year released: 2006

THE BOX
The most superficial part of any LEGO product, but the one that often determines whether or not the set is a success or failure.
Posted Image
When I got my first look at the box I was stunned at how crowded it was. Between the white text on the left of the box, tan seal and gears on the bottom right, boxes which show that gears rotate when the model is moved along the ground, logos on the top, and a picture of the actual set itself. Lego could have left off the tan seal and the icon that indicates the set includes two instruction booklets as to make it seem less jumbled.
Posted Image
The back of the box isn’t nearly as poorly spaced out as the front. The only real downside is that it features a large picture of that some sort of deformed looking motorcycle. The Technic beam background looks great while remaining subtle enough to not overwhelm the eye.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
So you've bought it and taken it home (or at least made it to the car), punched the perforated tabs and dump out the contents. What do you get for your money?
Posted Image
Once you open the box and pull the contents out, you'll find three small bags of parts and two instruction books, one for the tractor and the other for the deranged bike. Both manuals are thicker then you would normally expect from a ten dollar set though not overloaded with ads for other sets, promising a decent build.

THE BRICKS
Here's where we start to cut to the heart of the matter. You didn't buy this box for all the glossy booklets & creative artwork. You want to know about the LEGO bricks & bits that are included, and what (if any) new & interesting parts you'll find inside. Here's also where I'll talk about any new and/or interesting pieces that you will encounter.
Posted Image
There’s not really much to comment on here other, then the lack of unique pieces. I don’t really consider that to be a bad thing, though many people seem to. The inclusion of so many different colors is a little strange in my opinion; maybe Lego could have changed red to yellow, as to match the overall color scheme of the tractor. Another thing that puzzles me is the fact that the set contains both blue and tan friction pins that require the same force to rotate them.

BUILDING EXPERIENCE
What can you expect while putting this model together?
Posted Image
The building experience of this set is surprisingly enjoyable for such a small set. I was amazed to see the development of this model while building. One second you could have no idea what the section you’re constructing will be used for, the next it seems obvious how one segment fits so perfectly into the other.

PLAYING EXPERIENCE
So you've got the model together, but is it more like playing with a block of wood or an interactive toy?
Posted Image
This model sports two different functions, one of which is triggered when the vehicle is rolled either forward or backward, that causes the gears on the red attachment at the rear to rotate. The second function raises and lowers the attachment when you move the red pin near the front of the vehicle. It should be noted that these two features don’t interfere with the operation of each other, meaning that the attachment can be in either raised or lowered while the gears can still spin.
Posted Image
OVERALL
Here's where it all boils down to whether the model is worth your money and time or not.

In short, yes. This set is a great buy at only ten dollars for a set that has good play value and decent pieces. This set would be great for both younger children just getting into Technic and old pros alike.

Be sure to flame Shine for taking the time out of his non-existent schedule to do this poorly-written review.

#2 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

This tractor was my first Technic set I bought after coming out of my Dark Ages. I had mostly bought City and Train stuff and hadn't ventured into the "new, studless Technic" yet. One day I decided to get this set since it was just 10 Euro and didn't look all that bad.

When I started building I was surprised how many functions they were able to put into such a small model. And how many new bricks there were in Technic...

I liked it - and started to buy more Technic sets. Much to the chagrin of my wife ("Where you gonna put all those? You don't have space! - "Hm? Space? I have shelfs. Look, it turns when you push it..." - "Huh..." - "And this here moves, too..." - "*Smiling* Unbelievable, these models are nice...")

So, I agree, it's a great set with much "value" for a quick build.

Oh, yeah, the review wasn't poor at all, thanks for taking the time *y*

#3 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

Thank you very much for that nice review, Shine.
You posted first, so I don´t have to write a review, thanks again! ;-)

View PostShine, on Feb 11 2007, 11:50 PM, said:

One second you could have no idea what the section you’re constructing will be used for, the next it seems obvious how one segment fits so perfectly into the other.
That was exactly my thinking when building it.

I actually bought it for my son (almost 8 years), but he had some difficulties in putting it together. He passed it back to me to build it.
I was really sorry for that... X-D
When I was finished, I wasn´t allowed to play with it any further. :-(

It definitely has a very good playability for the original two models, but mocing it is another story... (it´s technic after all).
Recommended buy (I got it 50% off), even for its original price!

Posted Image
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image

#4 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:15 AM

Great review of a great little set. Thanks!  *y*

#5 Badger

Badger

Member: 17785

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

Sweet little set and nice review :)
Atr's willys jeep is sweeeet       www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=jack6660103

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users