Hey Joe

Review: 10250 Creator - Year of the Snake

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Please allow me to introduce you to a unique set for my first Eurobricks review.

scan10049.jpg

Rumors of this limited-to-China set started swirling around in (what was it?) late 2012 and many thought that it was just a hoax.

However in late-January 2013 it started appearing on shelves here in Beijing, so being a Lego fan and living in China how could I not buy it? Even the better half understood the logic of that and I got no resistance on that front. :laugh:

Brickset informed me that someone had reported buying it in Shanghai at CarreFour so I hustled around the block to the one near me to find it...nowhere in sight. :look:

Luckily, there's a new mall near my home that has both a Lego shop (not a 'real' Lego shop but close enough) AND a Toys R Us, both of whom stock it. Surprisingly it was cheaper at Toys R Us (about US$ 50), especially since I had a small gift certificate from them for my young son's birthday. He didn't complain as he had just gotten a bunch of Duplo for his birthday. Thanks Toys R Us!

It's a high quality box and similar to the ones that the Architecture series come in (I think). It's 38cm wide, 26cm tall and nearly 7cm deep.

dsc01865.jpg

Sorry but I don't really read Chinese, maybe I can get my translator to help me during the week next week and I can edit this post at a later date but here are the other views of the box.

The back:

dsc01864.jpg

One side:

dsc01860.jpg

Another side:

dsc01862.jpg

Another side:

dsc01861.jpg

It says the set is made in Denmark in English on this side. I believe the white sticker says that the set was imported by Kidsland (which I think is another joint-venture with Toys R Us) but the set was more expensive at the Kidsland Lego shop. Business in China is very confusing! :wacko:

dsc01863.jpg

Ok, let's open this thing up and see what we got!

dsc01886.jpg

The suspense is building...

dsc01869.jpg

Well, ok, I think I see why the box is so big now. :hmpf_bad:

It very much reminds me of a moon cake gift box. If you've ever been to China during one of their major holidays or are familiar with (Mainland?) Chinese culture, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Every manner of thing, you name it; soy sauce, olive oil, cookies, eggs, wine, cigarettes, etc., etc. is packaged into a fancy box so that it can be given as a gift. Premium toys can now be added to that list I guess.

Moon cakes initially came to my mind as they were a major offender in the package-size in relation to the product-size department until the government cracked down and issued regulations about box size a few years back. Let's hope this set is within the limit.

This is what's in the box:

dsc01873.jpg

I'm not really sure what to think of the little clear plastic box.

dsc01877.jpg

It's a nice box and everything but it's either totally unnecessary or I need about two thousand of them (at no more than US$ 1 each, thank you). :wink:

There's a cool drawing of a snake in the compartment that holds the bricks and manuals.

dsc01876.jpg

Speaking of manuals, you get three. There's the manual for 10250, the cover for it is the image that opens this review and it contains the instructions for the snake and the gate. There are also two manuals that were in 6914. T-Rex:

scan10047.jpg

and the others:

scan10048.jpg

There's also an A4-sized poster of the Win! kid that no one seems to like (poor guy must have a complex if he reads Eurobricks) in Chinese.

Here are a couple scans from the manual for 10250. The completed snake:

scan10050.jpg

and the completed gate:

scan10051.jpg

If you would like to download the small manuals for yourself, here are the links.

- 6914 part 1

- 6914 part 2

Here's the front of the gate (the round door part is the only unique part to this set) with a minifig added for scale. I'm reasonably certain that the Chinese character is the one for snake.

dsc01890.jpg

and the back:

dsc01891.jpg

Initially I thought it was kinda lame that the door was in one piece (and still kinda do) but I guess it's because there's no structural support to keep it from toppling over if it were in two parts and could be opened.

All of the parts in the bag that contains the round gate build this gate structure so the snake must be built from the same parts that make 6914 I'm guessing? I've not yet had the time to build the other models but I will in the coming weeks and will post them after I do.

Ok, that just about wraps it up for today. A few last words; like I said previously, I'm a fan of Lego and living in China so how could I not buy the first set made specifically for this amazing country?

It's an expensive set but all of them are here, sets cost about twice as much as the US retail price.

It will be really cool if Lego does this every year for every animal in the Chinese zodiac, won't it? :classic:

Hope you enjoyed reading this review. I've joined Reviewer's Academy but I'm finding the seamless white background problematic in an apartment with a three year old on the loose! :laugh:

Joe

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Nice review! I wish this set was available in other countries, as I want the pieces for the gate. He container would probably end up being used to store leftovers for the next day! :laugh:

Edited by Devorath

Nice exotic review :D

Brickset informed me that someone had reported buying it in Shanghai at CarreFour

Funny to see "Carrefour" written like that :D It is originally a French word, not carre + four ;) (even if originally it probably comes from "carre" somehow)

Nice exotic review :D

Funny to see "Carrefour" written like that :D It is originally a French word, not carre + four ;) (even if originally it probably comes from "carre" somehow)

Well, I was tempted to write it 'Jia Le Fu' which is how I usually say it (in Chinese)! :tongue:

Glad you guys 'n' gals like the review, I was happy to contribute it to the community.

Joe

Nice review Joe, it looks like a good set,

I wish this set was available in other countries, as I want the pieces for the gate

and indeed, this gate piece is somehow really cool :grin: