Sign in to follow this  
Daedalus304

WIP MOC: Baldwin Engine #2562

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Hello everyone!

I don't usually post my WIP models, but this one is rather close to done and thanks to a recent move to a new state it's going to be a while until the finishes touches come to pass. I've been rather excited about it too, which doesn't help my patience any!

img_0971.jpg

Link to the prototype: http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?i=5799734

This new engine is a 2-8-0 that I found at the Arizona Railway Museum, and it was something I simply had to build. Please do excuse that some of my pictures are a little lower-quality than usual, it's been a rather hectic season! :laugh:

img_0940.jpg

img_0969.jpg

I do have to admit to taking most of my bell design from Cale Leiphart - the minifig hands and rigid hose was too great of a technique to pass up.

img_0955.jpg

There were several things I want to do with this model, most of which I actually managed to pull off. First priority was for it to be self-powered, and contain all the PF bits. The boiler therefor contains 2 M-Motors, with a PF battery box and IR receiver in the tender. I had wanted to have a functional headlight as well, but it didn't light up satisfactorily and once I discovered that I had to also squeeze a boat weight in the front of the boiler as well as a ton of PF wire, I decided I was ok going without it.

img_0966.jpg

Getting this locomotive to run smoothly was a big challenge, as the last set of wheels is blind and there is no trailing truck. This complicated things in several ways: it was hard to connect the tender in a way which didn't require a high sacrifice of detail, and the center of gravity on the engine was far enough back that the front wheels liked to ride up and jump out of the curves. This was solved ultimately by finding a way to cram a 2x6x2 boat weight into the boiler, along with the dual M-motors. Now it runs very nicely and doesn't mind pulling several EN coaches, either.

img_0965.jpg

The prototype also had a very interesting style of tender (Which I learned from Zephyr's recent masterpiece is apparently called a Vanderbilt tender), and it was a blast to build with all it's interesting shapes. It also turned out to be the perfect size to fit a AAA/Rechargable battery box and the IR receiver in it, as shown here:

img_0964.jpg

The rear water hatch is actually loose and lifts out rather easy, which allows me to turn the power on/recharge the battery. It is currently running on AAA batteries until I get an 8788, but that's ok because the top half of the battery box lifts right out without need to disassemble the tender. You may be able to see the receiver right in front of the tender, though it's a bit obscured.

Earlier I mentioned I was rather excited, and now it's time to explain why. Last year, LT12V posted an amazing engine with working external valve gear and shortly afterwards Zephyr pretty much headed the movement to make it easily accessible with custom rods and a reverse-engineering design contest. These two things inspired me, and with external gear taken care of I decided it was time to invent a purist solution for some internal Stephenson-style gear.

img_0968.jpg

As you may have noticed above the drive rods, each side has those two little valve rods. These rods both move opposite of each other in a way that is better to show than explain:

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Between the frames there are two swing arms hooked up to some eccentrics on the 3rd drive axle, these arms swing those timing bars back and forth like you see there. This system took several iterations to perfect, and I actually have a couple working variations on it which I'll post soon. As far as I know this sort of valve gear has never been done before without modified parts or custom parts, neither of which are a part of this train. Valve gear motion adds so much more to the steamers, and it seems we're entering a great age of Train MOCs that are coming closer and closer to standardizing it. I really do want to thank everyone who's been part of the effort to include it on their engines - you've simply inspired me!! :thumbup:

There are a couple more pictures on my Brickshelf here: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=525051, once moderated, and hopefully this weekend I'll be able to take some better pictures with more detail shots. Perhaps a running video, too. Let me know if there are any shots you want, I'll make sure to snag those!

One thing I'd like to add is some stickers, for the engine number and the "SOUTHERN PACIFIC" on the tender. Any advice on how to proceed in that regard would be great, I'm a sticker noob! :oh3: Is it easier to self-print them or is there someone who sells custom sticker sheets?

I hope you enjoy the engine despite it's incompleteness. Most of what's left is some hoses and hopefully the aforementioned stickers, plus a little more undercarriage work under the cab; which will hopefully be finished in time for the Phoenix Comicon in May. Please feel free to leave any suggestions or criticisms - I could use all the pointers I can get! :laugh: Thanks for your time!

Oh my it's beautiful! - and with a Vandy tender and working inside Stephenson's valve gear as well :wub::excited::drool:

Thankyou so much for sharing the pictures of this loco with us Daedalus and not waiting for it to be 100% completed. Oh you've really made my day :sweet:

Very nice locomotive Daedalus304. I really like the unique looking tender :classic:

Thank you!

Oh my it's beautiful! - and with a Vandy tender and working inside Stephenson's valve gear as well :wub::excited::drool:

Thankyou so much for sharing the pictures of this loco with us Daedalus and not waiting for it to be 100% completed. Oh you've really made my day :sweet:

Thanks Annie, I'm really glad you enjoy it. It will be a good day when it's finished!

Wow, very nice form to that engine. I like the fact that you were able to get a true cylindrical shape to the boiler, especially considering how much you have stashed in it. It is also neat to see all of the details that you managed to get in to the tender that I missed on my GN loco. Of course the valve gear is just way over the top.

As for lettering, you might want to look in to O gauge decals. Probably the cheapest option and should look good too, though they will be a little vulnerable to scratching.

I know this is several year old now...or more like a decade old now, but are there any build plans around for this? 

Daedalus304, I tried messaging you but had no luck due to my lack of "10 post rule". 

I'm in AZ and have interest in building some of our local historic locomotives like the 2660 we have up here in Flag, the 260 Mogul and 280/282 Baldwins. 

Maybe you can message me so we can connect?