OleBM

What train-motor is the best?

Hey people! I'm kinda new here on this part of the forum.

I was browsing the gallery of bigbenbricks.com, and suddenly got the urge to built a train in the near future!

And on that matter I was wondering; which of the lego train motors are most efficient? The 9V, or power functions? (I'm planning to make it battery powered). I've read somewhere that the rc motor is rubbish compared to the other two..

Looking forward to some answers :classic:

Among the ones that have the usual size, the strongest one is the 12V motor. Then PF. Then 9V. Then RC.

PF and 9V are fairly close.

Thank you for the reply @hoeij!

Maybe PF would be the best then, seeing as the 9V is ridicously expensive..

As a 9V fanatic like myself I will be making the transition to PF's in the coming year or so. 9V are really fun to have but the fact that the motors will over heat from massive loads make me sad.

The only thing I don't like about PF is the fact that you need to change the batters every so often if you but the battery box. But, other than that I love PF.

Thank you for your answer CarrollFilms! This was relly helpful, as I wasn't aware that the 9V has the potential to overheat. Power functions it is then :classic:

12v. 12v all the way, even if ran on a 4.5v battery box, or with a modified cable on 9v with pick ups, or RC. You cannot argue push rods are amazing. Are you listening TLG????

Have to agree about the 12volt motors, they are beautiful pieces of work and a privilege to own. The later motors are throw away by comparison.

As a 9V fanatic like myself I will be making the transition to PF's in the coming year or so. 9V are really fun to have but the fact that the motors will over heat from massive loads make me sad.

The only thing I don't like about PF is the fact that you need to change the batters every so often if you but the battery box. But, other than that I love PF.

Having been a 9V fan(atic) myself ever since the mid 80ies, I don´t see myself converting to PF, particularly after having heard about all this battery hazzles etc

I was really surprised to read about your overheating problems with 9V.

Most of my trains are equipped with double 9V engines, the Santa Fe and the extended Horizon Express - with a total weight of 3 kg - with 4 engines. I usually operate with double 9V transformers in synch. I have not experienced any overheating with heavy loads, not even with inclinations of close to 8 percent. Could you elaborate more about your experienced overheating? What do you mean by "massive loads"?

(see also under topic "High Speed Camera Waggon - the first action pictures")

Edited by Haddock51

Battery life is not really an issue, a battery box with 6 rechargeable batteries lasts quite a long time.

I have a lot of 9V and 12V track and motors, but if I had to start from scratch, then PF would be more economical. One thing I don't like so much about PF is the high-pitch sound, but (although I haven't tested this yet) I think you can get rid of that sound by adding a capacitor (has anyone tried that?)

Hey people! I'm kinda new here on this part of the forum.

I was browsing the gallery of bigbenbricks.com, and suddenly got the urge to built a train in the near future!

And on that matter I was wondering; which of the lego train motors are most efficient? The 9V, or power functions? (I'm planning to make it battery powered). I've read somewhere that the rc motor is rubbish compared to the other two..

Looking forward to some answers :classic:

Efficiency only matters with battery powered trains. You can also use the various Technic motors that's been released over the years. I've got about a dozen of the first generation RC motors, they're not that bad actually

I use all kinds of motors. The old 12V motors with piston rods works nicely with PF. I've used the electronics from the first generation RC and put that lot into a slightly modified 7727. Looks and runs great :wub:

The sound from the PF motor is not due to the motor itself, but the PWM controller (the IR reciever)

Efficiency only matters with battery powered trains. You can also use the various Technic motors that's been released over the years. I've got about a dozen of the first generation RC motors, they're not that bad actually

I use all kinds of motors. The old 12V motors with piston rods works nicely with PF. I've used the electronics from the first generation RC and put that lot into a slightly modified 7727. Looks and runs great :wub:

The sound from the PF motor is not due to the motor itself, but the PWM controller (the IR reciever)

Thank you for your answer! :classic:

I have indeed thought about the normal PF motors (medium, or even XL motor). This would maybe result in a stronger train, but they take up considerable space.

That modified 7727 sounds interesting, Do you have some photos or something?

I'm in the process of photographing all my trains, so I'll have something to show soon

The actual RC electronics from the old RC chassis does not take up a lot space (I've taken it out of the chassis of course) and I've just used a standard 9V battery with it. It'll make the little 7727 run fairly fast and I can use PF channels for other trains/cranes/stuff at the same time

I kinda like that old RC chassis and have build some nice trains (imho) with it

I've also used one of the old square block 9V Technic motors and it's fully visible, looks great with the rest of the grey train (diesel shunter, like the 7720). Don't hide those wonderfull motors :sweet:

I also saw someone do a steamer with a big XL at the front here sometime ago. Thought about doing a similar thing with the black 12V Technic motor also

Yeah I saw that steamer with the XL motor too! Cool way of mounting it. I really like steamers. I've thought about trying to build a big boy or something similar :classic:

Don't you prefer the regular IR motors on batteries?:)

You can power up batteries when you sleep:)

BR.

M.C.

Don't you prefer the regular IR motors on batteries?:)

You can power up batteries when you sleep:)

BR.

M.C.

Truth is, I've never tried the new PF train motor. In fact, I've never seen one in real life!

I'm a little nostalgic, and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the 9V... A friend of mine had a couple of these when we were kids, and they were great! These are also battery-compatible, even with the power functions battery boxes :classic:

The actual RC electronics from the old RC chassis does not take up a lot space (I've taken it out of the chassis of course) and I've just used a standard 9V battery with it. It'll make the little 7727 run fairly fast and I can use PF channels for other trains/cranes/stuff at the same time

I kinda like that old RC chassis and have build some nice trains (imho) with it

The more I use the old RC system the more I like it. Needing nine 'AA' batteries is not so bad if rechargeable batteries are used and I like the fact that a screwdriver is needed to remove the battery cover on the controller, In the past I've had problems with ill fitting battery lids or fragile clipping systems on remote control devices by other makers and it's a pain to have batteries dropping out during an operating session. Despite the RC motor bogie being higher geared and the weakest of all the train motors they are Ok so long as they're used appropriately and kept away from drag freight haulage tasks.

This is all i am gonna say. My 7715 with 12v+4.5v battery box. Its not even remotely struggling except for wheel slippage due to the fact that it doesn't have weight ballast blocks

Edited by Konrad

I also saw someone do a steamer with a big XL at the front here sometime ago. Thought about doing a similar thing with the black 12V Technic motor also

You mean this one (grin). Hiding in plain sight. There are several folks who have hidden the M motors inside boilers and I suspect the L motor would be perfect for this.

Thank you for your answer! :classic:

I have indeed thought about the normal PF motors (medium, or even XL motor). This would maybe result in a stronger train, but they take up considerable space.

That modified 7727 sounds interesting, Do you have some photos or something?

The XL's are bulky, but at 5 wide, they are small enough to build around. Here's an example of a very powerful tender (mostly using ideas from Cale and Tony)

t02.jpg_thumb.jpg

That tender looks really strong zephyr1934!

You've given me quite some ideas folks! I'll hopefully soon start with the actual build :-)

Here's my C40-8 with 2 PF L motors pulling 17 cars. It's slow, but has plenty of power.

Here's my C40-8 with 2 PF L motors pulling 17 cars. It's slow, but has plenty of power.

I love the way the three children rush around the layout to follow the train.