tmctiger

Update to my train/town Layout

Hi all,

I'll wan't to show you my updated train/town Layout.

You can find the photos here: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=523275

Any comments are welcome. I try always to improve the layout. If you have suggestions for me don't hesitate do write it.

Further plans on the layout:

- underlay all with 32x32 baseplates

- add railroad ballast

- add a mountain with tunnels at the right side (monster house, fright terminal) to get some additinonal space for buildings

- add a smaller hill on top of the moumtain-plane for the monster house

BR,

tmctiger

Edit: I added a overview image of my layout to this post:

_mg_0034_small.jpg

Edited by tmctiger

A bit difficult to get the total layout, but I do like what you did with the train station. I made a similar one using 2 sets, but not to the same extent as you.

A bit difficult to get the total layout, but I do like what you did with the train station. I made a similar one using 2 sets, but not to the same extent as you.

Thanks. I did it because I needed a longer platform for the trains. In fact I used three sets to acomplish the current solution.

That looks great! Can you run all the trains at the same time?

In fact I can run two trains at once. I have two independent train circles. If you are fast with reactions you can run three trains ;) - but this is a little bit stressful ... and results in significant more train crashs ....

Modular buildings go so well with trains don't they. An amazing station area and so much going on in your town.

Thanks Annie! Your are right. Modular buildings fit very well in a layout with trains.

The station area was a trade off due to lack of space in my layout and the need for longer station platforms. I was also pleased with the outcome, though this was my first "MOC" after my dark ages (I entered the LEGO hobby via building the UCS StarWars Sets - so there was no need so far to build a MOC, unteil I got into LEGO trains ...)

BR,

tmctiger

Good luck on the ballast, i am doing that to mine at present. It takes a lot and i mean a lot of bricks but does look very nice when done.

I am spending a good 3-400nz a month on bricks at present and its still a slow progress.

I think the thing with ballast is that it holds the track more ridged in place (Just like the real stuff.) which whilst is good for a layout may not be so good for those who put their sets up and take them down again as they do not have room. I fall into that second group, I am trying to ballast three straight lengths at a time to get enough to go around the living room, but yes it is slow progress. It looks a lot better but is a lot of work and slow as it is expensive. I have one length and a siding ballasted properly down all the time behind the chairs as it is hard to get to. Having bits done in three straights though lessens the time needed to set up and take down. The corners are buggers though! Loads of tiles for them! I have done two out of four so far.

I put my track with ballast on 32x32 base plates that all unclip and can be packed in boxes. i Fit into the 2nd option also but when i pull my set out i want it to look nice.

I have some LDD plans for Ballast and cost is not to bad its not over detailed like a lot around the show. I have designed them to be as cheap as possible with the best look.

I am due to take some pics soon so i will update my old ballast thread with picks.

Hi!

@Lazarus: oh that has nothing to do with Luck :grin: . I planned the ballast with LDD and I am currently in the process of ordering the 17.000 pieces I need :look: . When I buy them from Lego direct it will cost about 1700€ :cry_sad: . But thats worth the looking I think.

I am doing the ballast for 2 reasons: first for the look of course, second for the rigid mounting of the tracks.

I am using the design from ToT-Lug.

@proraptor: the table is 3m x 1.25m (and with a small part which is 1.5m deep)

Edited by tmctiger