Sign in to follow this  
DaveBey

MOC: Boxcar for 10219 Maersk Train

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

A while back I made a couple boxcars to go with my 10219 Maersk Train. They're based on the Old-Style Refrigerator Car in Getting Started with LEGO Trains by Jacob H. McKee (a wonderful book).

8435911453_28ea038857_n.jpg

I used part 2874, which BrickLink calls Door Sliding - Type 2, and is unavailable in LEGO Digital Designer. I had to consult instructions for sets such as 4563 Load N' Haul Railroad to plan the correct brick height separating 4510 Plate 1x8 with Rail.

I originally planned to tile the floor using 87079 Flat Tile 2x4 but decided to add some play value by adding rails for some pallets (pictures in the Flickr set). The boxcars seem a bit small next to the Maersk intermodal cars but I think they add some variety. I hope you enjoy!

Flickr set

.lxf file hosted on Brickshelf.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

I was just going to design some american boxcars myself. This is some good inspiration.

Keep up the good work.

:thumbup:

More wonderful rolling stock !!

Great detail with the vents, handles and brake wheel - and beautifully sympathetic to 10219's design and colouring.

Great work Dave :drool: :drool: :drool:

LLL

Thanks, everyone!

I was just going to design some american boxcars myself. This is some good inspiration.

Check out Jake McKee's Brickshelf for some additional inspiration. Jake's the author of Getting Started with LEGO Trains and has some great rolling stock. He also did the Bricks on the Brain web site which is unfortunately only available through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. zephyr1934's Brickshelf also has some great boxcars.

A very nice wagon with some interesting cargo pallets inside.

Thanks! I wish I could say I came up with the cargo pallets but I borrowed from 7733 Truck & Forklift and 7734 Cargo Plane.

Great detail with the vents, handles and brake wheel - and beautifully sympathetic to 10219's design and colouring.

The detail is all James Mathis & Jack McKee. The only changes I made were substituting 3666 Plate 1x6 for 3795 Plate 2x6 and using 92280 Plate 1x2 w. Vertical Grip instead of 2555 Plate 1x1 w. Up Right Holder and 3024 Plate 1x1 like in the original instructions. While I was working in LEGO Digital designer, I tried to use parts available in Maersk/Pastel Blue, Medium Stone Gray, and Black. I had BrickLink open checking parts availability while designing! I used Reddish Brown on the interior since Earth Orange (LEGO Brown) was used on the Old-Style Refrigerator Car and Black just didn't look right.

Dave

Check out Jake McKee's Brickshelf for some additional inspiration. Jake's the author of Getting Started with LEGO Trains and has some great rolling stock. He also did the Bricks on the Brain web site which is unfortunately only available through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. zephyr1934's Brickshelf also has some great boxcars.

Dave

Thanks for the Links I think I have redesign my boxcar design.