Sign in to follow this  
L@go

MOC: Fourteen new City vehicles

Hello, honourable Eurobrickers!

Warning: Picture-heavy topic...

It's been a while since I've posted any new content on the forum. It's not like I haven't been building at all since August, but I've been to a few events, for the first time in my life, and I was lucky enough to be invited to contribute to Megan Rothrock's LEGO Adventure Book. It's all really been an adventure over the past six months or so. Anyway - I haven't been able to photograph my latest MOCs and get them online until now. They've been uploaded to my Flickr in the last week, so some of you may have seen them there. But here they are all together in a single topic :)

After having built four, eight, five, eight, fifteen, and sixteen cars earlier (yes, I still have them all, and let me tell you, 56 cars take up a lot of room), I have more or less found the niche that I'm comfortable building in, for now anyway. My builds now are primarily concentrated in two different 'themes': The hot rods/vintage cars and the modern interpretations of classic City sets.

I try to incorporate a rear licence plate in all my builds. It's not always possible, but if I can find a way to cram it in there, I will. I also generally try to give the cars rear-view mirrors and indicator lamps. And all the stickers are official LEGO - some of them may be cut, but they're all from original sets.

Before I start, here's my new setup for photographing MOCs. I've been planning to get a proper lightbox for a while, and this is how it all currently looks when operational:

8413580009_9caff782ce_z.jpg

Very happy with the results I've got so far, and they will get even better when I start experimenting with longer exposures, now that I've got a remote for my camera. Oh well. Here we go!

1) Cowgirl Cruiser.

I'll start with a modernised version of the classic set #6627.

8201556664_4255675e80_z.jpg

This is part of my pet project, Updating the Classics. The original set is one of my favourites among the oldest sets I've got, and I knew I needed to use that new cowgirl hat/hairpiece for the modern interpretation.

8201556758_71d28be686_z.jpg

8201556866_39de33e37f_z.jpg

Two different generations meet!

2) Speedy Seven.

A small British sports car that ended up reminding me a bit of the Lotus Seven. So I gave it a colour scheme that seemed to fit with that idea.

8406372487_e5c66ec11f_z.jpg

8407465326_0fefeb2e89_z.jpg

I don't know what all those monkeys are doing there, but they may have been attracted by the sweater.

Although Seven-esque, the car is beefier and bigger when compared to the minifig. The front end is held together by using some 1x1 plates with light clip - it's a remarkably sturdy solution:

8406372651_09c213105c_z.jpg

3) Super Square.

This next one is a result of wanting to try my hand at building a sand blue car - and then I needed to make do without doors or panel elements. So I ended up with an open-sided solution that I admit is a bit unusual.

8409150963_33d1103370_z.jpg

8409150831_0aa8cf1ac3_z.jpg

Naturally, the owner has a sand blue shirt to match. The front end would probably be very unpopular among modern car legislators, with the pedestrian impact rules we have today - but from my point of view, the only thing that mattered was that it looked aggressive. And it does.

The roof comes off, so it can be used as a convertible...

8409151235_5b7107840f_z.jpg

...but the design can hardly be described as 'handsome' in any case, and to remove the roof doesn't do it any favours.

4) The State Limo.

Morty, leader of the Norwegian LUG Brikkelauget, asked me if I would do him a favour and build a limousine to go with his fantastic minifig-scale version of the Norwegian Royal Palace in Oslo. This was the first version I put together in MLCad.

8406373781_46af6400da_z.jpg

8406374291_acccf9c538_z.jpg

We then decided that it was a bit too narrow to fit with the massive palace. I still ilked the design, and it's pretty much exactly what I think a L@go limousine should look like, so I built it anyway. Here's a little story to go with it:

8407469334_6852e5df86_m.jpg8407466366_ea3872a962_m.jpg8407466136_f70862f2b9_m.jpg

The movie star and her boyfriend, chased by the paparazzi. Nothing new there.

5) Royal Ride.

So this is what I ended up with instead of the previous one. It's a much more modern type of car, and something I'd never tried my hand at before. I went for a sort of edgy Cadillac style mixed with a Rolls Royce-style grille, and I'm reasonably happy with how it ended up. I was afraid it would end up not being sturdy enough, but it's actually rock solid.

8406367408_91553b4c9e_z.jpg

8405274373_db79769906_z.jpg

Yes, I have cut the bottom tap off the plume to make it fit into the jumper plate. That's not the only parts butchering I've done this time, I'll get back to that. I painted the plume with a silver marker, but the rest of the chromed parts are from Chrome Block City (recommended).

8406366908_7ce110abe0_z.jpg

I actually built two of these, because we invited the Norwegian Crown Prince and Princess to the event (50 years of LEGO Norway), and intended to give one away if they showed up, but they couldn't make it. So I've kept them both. They'll be in Copenhagen for LEGO World, on display along with Morty's palace, and by then they'll be equipped with proper Norwegian royal licence plates - 'A-1' and 'A-2' - instead of the dollar bills they have now.

8405277085_7b0a4fb9c7_z.jpg

Here they are, HRH Crown Prince Haakon of Norway and his wife, HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit, waving to a group of affectionate Norwegians. And at least one foreigner.

6) The Vintage Truck.

Also built on request - birgburg wanted a car that she could use in her fabulous Klosshavn diorama at the Oslo event. I came up with this:

8412139329_8c890c06f7_z.jpg

8412136721_d31f4a4666_z.jpg

I'm quite happy with the colour design on this. The truck is also asymmetrical; it's got an exhaust pipe on the right-hand side and a step for easier access to the driver's seat on the left-hand side. And about those strange doors: They're a result of my mad Photoshop skillz :) - they were meant to be 1x3x2 doors, but the BrickLink seller I ordered them from sent me the wrong parts, and I had to use two 1x3x1 doors for the photosession. They have since then been replaced.

8413236136_4e040b3f5d_z.jpg

The owner is probably involved in some sort of activity that we weren't supposed to know about...

7) Cobalt Speedster. (Accidentally mis-named "Cobalt Cruiser" when I started this topic.)

A low-slung roadster built mainly to find out just how long the front of the car would actually get if I used those long slopes.

8410243470_e49881412a_z.jpg

8410243592_87c54a265d_z.jpg

The answer is: Very long. I know there would have to be a twelve-cylinder engine underneath such a long bonnet, so I added some chrome bits and twelve minifig hands to mimic small exhaust pipes.

8409148101_52c7c1d038_z.jpg

The owner has an affection for navy-style clothing... and, whaddyaknow, he plays tennis.

8) Six'n'Twelve.

Another monster roadster with twelve cylinders - but with a definite twist to it.

8412138183_600d4370c3_z.jpg

8413237146_f47a11e05a_z.jpg

I've always had a thing for six-wheeled cars - the Panther Six, the Covini CW6, the old Tyrrell P34 F1 car, Captain Nemo's car from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... and they all have four wheels up front. So, I thought, why not build one? I've realised it will probably look prettier without the front pair, with a long overhang, but the six wheels make it different. And I was told that it would go well along with Jon Hall's sky-fi planes, which is probably true, it's got a bit of the same design going on.

8412137209_3bb3c7c282_z.jpg

The owner relaxes with a cup of something while caressing her beloved roadster. And before you ask me about that mudguard: Yes, I did.

And that's about it!

"Hey, wait a minute!" I can hear you scream. "That's just eight. He promised us fourteen! Can't he count? Where are the other six?"

The parts are trickling in as we speak, and I'll be updating this post when they're ready. That's another very varied batch:

- The Whizz Midget, a little speedster

- The Sensor GTR, a six-wide supercar

- The Étoile d'Élégance, a neo-classic bling luxury coupé

- The Wolverine SS, a vintage sports car

...and two more modern interpretations of classic sets - which I think you will like. I do, a lot :)

Also, there's another, bigger project in the pipeline. But that's a secret for now...

Comments and criticism is, as always, welcome, and there are more pictures in my Cars and Trucks and vans photosets on Flickr.

Thanks for looking!

To be continued...

Edited by L@go

Been at it again! Those are some fantastic new cars L@GO! I don't know what I like better, the big roadsters, or the limo's... They all have some great unique looks, especially the V-12's. Keep them coming :classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

AWESOME collection again from you 'L@go', my favourite is the Royal Ride....it would be perfect with the bling on it for Prince Harry. :laugh:

Brick On Drive On 'L@go' ! :grin:

Although most cars are 4-wide, while I prefer six (the old dilemma), they do look great. I think I like the roadsters more, even though I don't like them most of the times when built with Lego. :grin: Let's just say that you've done a great job on all these cars. Some are really long, yet seem realistic and that is because you have some special building skills.

Nice sets,i like the first one where you have done the update from the old version, very cool

These are all fantastic cars, with the possible exception of the 6-wheeler. Not sure I'm ready for that one. My favourites are the Vintage Truck (great tray) and the Cobalt Cruiser (nice shape, especially when viewed from the side).

These are all great cars, L@go! The vintage truck is very sweet, and I really like the super square. The grey stripe going all the way down the body through the sand blue is gorgeous. Perhaps it looks chunkier in real life than it does in the angled photo? I look forward to seeing the other cars you make.

Are those clear cheese slopes along the sunroof on the royal limo?

I particularly enjoy the vintage pickup truck and the cowgirl cruiser.

Thank you for your nice comments! It's always good to get feedback on stuff, and as usual, it's so much fun to hear how you pick different favourites.

AWESOME collection again from you 'L@go', my favourite is the Royal Ride....it would be perfect with the bling on it for Prince Harry.

I agree - it is royal, after all! As I mentioned, I bought the chrome parts from Auri at Chrome Block City, but there were a couple of elements that I needed that he didn't have - so he actually chromed some just for me. Great service - and they arrived on the morning when I was driving to the event in Oslo. Perfect timing!

These are all fantastic cars, with the possible exception of the 6-wheeler. Not sure I'm ready for that one.

Thank you! I know the Six'n'Twelve is an acquired taste. But at least it's different :)

The vintage truck is very sweet, and I really like the super square. The grey stripe going all the way down the body through the sand blue is gorgeous. Perhaps it looks chunkier in real life than it does in the angled photo?

Maybe it is - that square snout is very blocky. But then again, I didn't go for beauty when I built it - it's supposed to look aggressive and brutish.

Are those clear cheese slopes along the sunroof on the royal limo?

Yes, they are. I'm eagerly awaiting double cheese slopes in transparent colours...

On Flickr, somebody suggested that I should build the sunroof in trans-black, to go with the windows, and I'll probably end up doing that. I think that will possibly look better.

As always, great vehicles. I especially love the Seven and Cobalt, as I've been wanting to build a similar style of sports car. I recently rebuilt and modified Baron Von Baron's 5920 Island Racer and it got me in the mood for more vintage iron...err, plastic, to populate my town. The way you used the light clip bricks is something I wouldn't have thought of but exactly what I've needed.

I'm really getting a kick out of seeing all these new takes on classic sets, bet is Town, Space, etc.. This Cowgirl Cruiser is a great update of the original.

That Royal Ride is fantastic too, I love the grille shape. Very Cadillac circa 1985. On a side note, when will TLG give us a better 6 wide windshield? This one never looked right to me. Perhaps it just reminds me of Luke's Landspeeder.

The Super Square may not be handsome but I like it a lot. The hidden headlights is a technique I love, I actually just introduced my little brother to it on his 4433 Dirt Bike Transporter. I love the shape of the rear, it reminds me of a car my friend built when we were younger that we called the Twinkie Car. It may have looked like a Twinkie on wheels, but it was solid enough to be a very effective battering ram.

Speaking of when I was younger, that's when I did a lot of brick modifying as I never had any concern then for purity in my creations. Now I care a bit more, but when I have pieces to spare I like to tinker.

IMAG1255.jpg

Edited by bootz

Wow! Great bunch of cars. I love the look/lines of just about every one. What torso is that on #8?

Again, thanks :)

I'm really getting a kick out of seeing all these new takes on classic sets, bet is Town, Space, etc.. This Cowgirl Cruiser is a great update of the original.

That Royal Ride is fantastic too, I love the grille shape. Very Cadillac circa 1985. On a side note, when will TLG give us a better 6 wide windshield?

If you like the Cowgirl Cruiser - I suppose you've seen my other updated classics as well - you'll like the next ones that are coming up!

I totally agree with you on the windshield. We've got many more to choose from in four-wide - it would be great to see some improvements in six-wide as well.

Wow! Great bunch of cars. I love the look/lines of just about every one. What torso is that on #8?

Thank you! It's this one, from the Atlantis line.

Which happiness of seeing beautiful cars in Lego. It is not with the official 2013 collection that we can have this pleasure.

60007_supercar.png

Great set of vehicles... my favourite is definitely the "Lotus" (I also really like the 6 wheeler too!!) Looking forward to seeing more!!

Nice cars. They all look great. Number 8 (Six'n'Twelve) is my favorite.

Brick on... :thumbup:

Excellent stuff.

I have a confession, L@GO, as a car builder myself, your cars can be hit or miss for me. Some just never clicked, while others were a lot better. But with this set, it looks like you've really found a style you're comfortable with - many of them are just excellent, in particular the modern Royal Ride. I hope you never customise the numberplates, because the dollar bill is so fitting!

Thanks again for your kind words! It's always fun when the work you do is appreciated.

I promised to post a few more cars, and I've finished two of the six missing ones. Here they are!

9) Whizz Midget.

I have a tendency to base my cars on the prefabricated vehicle bases, but in this case I wanted to make something short and stubby, so I went with regular plates. It turned out quite nicely, I think, especially the rear end with central twin pipes.

8464960840_fdbf6f52c2_z.jpg

8463863107_552a05a8aa_z.jpg

As you may know, one of the aspects of MOCing that I find most fun is trying to come up with minifig combos that go well with the builds. On this one, I wanted to find something that would match the colours of the car, and I had a couple of Green Army Men torsos that I didn't use. They make surprisingly nice down vests :)

8464960644_60d9741c56_z.jpg

10) Wolverine SS.

My cars are a colourful bunch, and I like experimenting with rarer colours. I enjoy the challenge I get from the limited parts selection. This time, it's dark orange - and with some black thrown in for good measure (and because dark orange is rare) it ended up getting the colour scheme of a wolverine, hence the name :)

8468626204_6b32a99090_z.jpg

8467532707_aaecfb4fc0_z.jpg

The owner is, naturally, sporting a suit jacket to match his car.

As soon as I'd decided on the name I started looking for a way to incorporate the Wolverine claws into the design - and came up with a solution that looks pretty slick. While it would have worked the way it was, too, I must admit I have shaved a millimeter off the bottom of the attachment bar so it would look better on there.

8467532477_9bcd02e3d2_z.jpg

So, that's two more - still four to come, but I'm missing some pieces because of a veeery slow BrickLink seller. Hopefully they'll be done in a week or two...

Tremendous work L@go :wub:

The midget and wolverine are both superb and I love the fenders on the old pick up :thumbup:

Yet more fantastic car designs! My favorite are the Cobalt Cruiser, Six'n'Twelve, and that Wolverine SS is at the top. :drool: Nice color combo, and good placement on the black highlights.

Thanks again, guys! Much appreciated.

Nice cars. Where did the dollar bill tiles come from?

Those are custom printed tiles from TASTER BRICKS, a German BrickLink seller. Top notch quality - they do both Euros and dollars.

Yet more fantastic car designs! My favorite are the Cobalt Cruiser, Six'n'Twelve, and that Wolverine SS is at the top. :drool: Nice color combo, and good placement on the black highlights.

Thank you! And you made me realise that I've used the wrong name for one of the cars in this thread - it should be Cobalt Speedster, not Cruiser. The Cruiser name was already taken by the Cowgirl Cruiser :) I'll fix that.