Dennis Bosman

[MOC] Kenworth K100 Tow Truck (1:13)

After six months of building I completed my Kenworth K100 tow truck. It's my first large scale US truck but there's more to come, that's for sure! The unit is fitted with a Holmes 750 twin boom crane which I've taken from my old Scania 141. That model doesn't exist anymore and I modified the crane here and there and added an underlift as well.

The Kenworth is powered by a CAT 3408 V8 engine and the livery I've chosen myself this time. I never used green bricks for a truck before and I think it's fits quite well and it gives the truck a fresh look. It's has some chrome parts like the front bumper, rims, exhausts etc. Without I think it doesn't have the right looks.

To read and see more please visit my website: http://www.dennisbos.../lego/no59.html

v59p02.jpg

v59p09.jpg

v59p04.jpg

Edited by Dennis Bosman

I love the Caterpillar engine. Looks very authentic. And I've never seen that type of crane before but it is fascinating.

Looks beautiful as usual. I would love to see you incorporate some PF parts into your creations.

tim

Thanks for the comments so far.

Till know I only used PF in my CAT dozer. It doesn't make sense to put it in the KW. It'll spoil the looks of it as the motors etc. are too big. The dozer operates quite well with PF and the model is large enough to house all the PF stuff.

This Kenworth is stunnig beautyfull, so many details, the crane :wub: the engine :wub: the colors off the truck :wub: and the green fit's perfect in it

I love your creation and hope i can see it on the meeting in februari at Lowlug and hope than you will tell us what kind of chrome bars you juse for the steps?

It looks the are 3mm ride hose, but i think the crome will crack on it.

This Kenworth is stunnig beautyfull, so many details, the crane :wub: the engine :wub: the colors off the truck :wub: and the green fit's perfect in it

I love your creation and hope i can see it on the meeting in februari at Lowlug and hope than you will tell us what kind of chrome bars you juse for the steps?

It looks the are 3mm ride hose, but i think the crome will crack on it.

I'll bring it to the next meeting for sure. There you can what I used for the bars. While typing the story for my website I actually forgot to mention these bars while they were really the last parts I've added ā€¦ Anyhow, as the truck will be display at LEGO World in Copenhagen next February as well I guess over there the bars will be recognized ...

I'll bring it to the next meeting for sure. There you can what I used for the bars. While typing the story for my website I actually forgot to mention these bars while they were really the last parts I've added ā€¦ Anyhow, as the truck will be display at LEGO World in Copenhagen next February as well I guess over there the bars will be recognized ...

Thanks Dennis. :wink:

As said elsewhere it is so nice to see a US rig from you. This one is marvelous. At the next meeting of Lowlug we will put some of our work together, or another outside shoot?

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

As said elsewhere it is so nice to see a US rig from you. This one is marvelous. At the next meeting of Lowlug we will put some of our work together, or another outside shoot?

I guess both. An outdoor shoot would be better. Maybe it's an idea to bring something with me to us as a background. Then we can try something at the meeting.

Stunning details! Is this 100% built with lego parts?

Basically yes. They're some small adds like the mud flaps and decals. This gives the model a better look I think.

Got a couple of pictures when I was building the model. I already posted them on a Dutch forum but I got some more requests here and there.

p60f01.jpg

This is how it actually started. I disassembled the Scania 141 and put the cab I already had onto the chassis. Please note this cab is still quite far away from the flat roof one on the model itself.

p60f03.jpg

Then I started to build a new chassis. I took off the crane and put it on top of it. The old Scania chassis still has the yellow body on it which will be put on the KW as well. A refit of the bonneted Scania you can see at the back. It still isn't finished. Will be done somewhere this year.

8063030782_5ce9756f54_b.jpg

Here's the old body on the KW's chassis. Still hasn't got its final shape but first I was building the cab in it's current livery.

8086493975_5a62e850b2_b.jpg

I did order some extra pieces for the cab and then I started to reshape the bodywork. The backside went open to put an underlift in between.

p61f04.jpg

Updating the Holmes twin boom with a new driving mechanism. I took the gearbox from set 8480.

p61f06.jpg

The truck is progressing. Still with lots of thing to be added and awaiting for the next chrome delivery.

p61f07.jpg

The chassis wasn't stiff enough at the moment and after I got lots of 1x12 black plates I started to rebuilt it.

p61f08.jpg

The final chassis at then with the CAT engine and exhausts.

8185842268_a7fa202179_b.jpg

And with the cab mounted.

8185842106_39d15c6f58_b.jpg

The whole body and crane was removed but I kept it in pieces. Took me a couple of hours to merge it again. As a tractor unit it doesn't look bad either but with the crane it makes it even more special.

v59p01.jpg

And the finalized model. I'm quite satisfied with the result and expect to keep it for a couple of years before I use the pieces for another truck. Next month I'll be at LEGO World in Copenhagen where I'll meet Maciej Drwiega. He'll bring all his stuff with him so there will a nice opportunity for a photoshoot together!

Wow, This is incredible. Lots of detail from bumper to bumper. The engine along with the transmission is impressive the only thing missing is the drive shaft to the back tandem wheels. I like how you used the small Lego tires as the air bags. All that chrome does bring it to life.