8 replies to this topic  – Started by kurigan , Jan 14 2013 09:35 AM

#1 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

145A
Posted Image
This is the completion of a project which has sat unfinished for some time. The hull is rather basic, but by design. The rigging is completely functional. The sails are paper; the stiffness of the material keeps them from being furled even though the rigging would allow for it. It does however keep the illusion of luff in the canvas. The main gun represents a twelve pounder, recovered from Old Scorpion, already named “Black Death”.  The other two swivel guns are something like 2 or 3 pounders. Boats like these both in terms of rig and application were popular the whole world over during the 18th and 19th centuries, typically for defense of key harbors and ports. In my own fleet, this is the role Adder plays, serving as a deterrent to invasion and ferrying pilots and inspectors out to incoming vessels. Her lug sails would be easily handled by only few crew members and are versatile in catching wind in all conditions. Admittedly, the scale may be a bit off, from that of her mini figure captain, but I just don’t care. I picked the project back up just to work on a realistic, working rig. Feeling as though I achieved that, I am pleased with her.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for looking and as always, more images on my photobucket.
http://s199.photobuc...ed/Real Models/

#2 Bob De Quatre

Bob De Quatre
  • Meanwhile in tumbleweed town...

Member: 29683

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Nice little boat. I like your sea :classic:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#3 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Nice! Looks like she's sailing through very thin ice. The rigging looks very realistic too.
It always surprises me how many different good looking ships you can make with a limited amount of parts :thumbup:
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#4 Brickington

Brickington
  • It's Tuesday somewhere, right?

Member: 28288

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Looks very good, I love your idea for the sea. This is one of the best small ships I have seen.

Posted Image

~Lord Brickington of Avalonia~

My Flickr | Guilds of Historica | Sir Brickington | My Brickshelf

#5 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure

Member: 20080

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

This is a rather good-looking ship, I'm especially found of the colourscheme and of course of the custom work, great rigging and sails. I must say the sails appeared to me to be real cloth and not paper, their color/texture strikes me as very accurate!

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf

#6 Grimmbeard

Grimmbeard
  • Oh me, oh my! Love that Redcoat Pie!

Member: 30768

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Very nice, it'll be

Go to Classic-Pirates.com
--Grimmbeard
You've fallen for one of the classic Blunders! the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this, Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!!!

Flickr | YouTube

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

#7 Mazin

Mazin
  • Gluttonous blue pig.

Member: 1175

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Aii! Great job Kurigan :thumbup: Wish they could make something like this for an official set :sweet:
"Many people don't know what to do with time. Time doesn't have this problem with people"
Magdalena Samozwaniec

#8 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

Member: 19385

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Ths is a nice build Kurigan.  With a limited number of parts you've built something instantly recognizable.  The brick built guns look nice and fit well despite the ship being a bit small to scale.  It looks like the main gun slides with the recoil and this is a nice feature. The sails look nice as well.  The paper you used gives the illusion of cloth.  Brick on!
-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 21 January 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#9 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostBob De Quatre, on 14 January 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Nice little boat. I like your sea :classic:

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 14 January 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Nice! Looks like she's sailing through very thin ice. The rigging looks very realistic too.
It always surprises me how many different good looking ships you can make with a limited amount of parts :thumbup:

View PostBrickington, on 14 January 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Looks very good, I love your idea for the sea. This is one of the best small ships I have seen.
Thanks, the sea is indeed a piece of carpet, from my old bed room. we had a carpet like this in the living room when I was a kid. I spent many hours playing with my classic pirate ships pushing them through the nap like the ocean's waves parting, hence my affinity for water-line models. I do agree that it looks rather like ice in hind sight. This pleases me though as I did want to convey a colder climate than usual.

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

This is a rather good-looking ship, I'm especially found of the colourscheme and of course of the custom work, great rigging and sails. I must say the sails appeared to me to be real cloth and not paper, their color/texture strikes me as very accurate!
Thank you. The paper sails were something of a happy accident. I scavenged it from work where it is typically cast off. I figured the color would work well enough but the bolster only came about from the way i punched the holes. The first sail, the main, was just an experiment, but it came out so well, I just kept going.

View PostGrimmbeard, on 14 January 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Very nice, it'll be

Go to Classic-Pirates.com
Thanks for that!

View PostMazin, on 15 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Aii! Great job Kurigan :thumbup: Wish they could make something like this for an official set :sweet:
The hull in simple enough, but even this simple rig would be a bit much.

View PostMr. Townsend, on 21 January 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Ths is a nice build Kurigan.  With a limited number of parts you've built something instantly recognizable.  The brick built guns look nice and fit well despite the ship being a bit small to scale.  It looks like the main gun slides with the recoil and this is a nice feature. The sails look nice as well.  The paper you used gives the illusion of cloth.  Brick on!
-W. Townsend
Indeed the gun is on a slide. Even though I couldn't find a way to have it properly breeched with block and tackle, there is a rope which can be used to run it back out.

Thanks again all.

Edited by kurigan, 23 January 2013 - 12:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links