Redhead1982

MOC Lighthouse Island

First, this might not be the right theme to post in (if so, I apologize for extra work in moving the MOC), however, I chose Town as the lighthouse is a part of the world we live in, and is a nice getaway from the busy everyday in town.

It is situated on a rocky island off the mainland and can be accessed by boat.

8376999252_8d322ccfe2_z.jpg

The lighthouse keeper usually comes to the island by his boat and keeps it in the natural alcove, protected by the strong winds on the island.

8375913623_dc5fa0e470_z.jpg

The lighthouse was recently modernized, however it still needs regular maintenance. For this reason, the keeper has at hand some useful tools.

8377064014_7fafe1263d_o.jpg

The motor of the rotating light is at the top, fourth level of the lighthouse. Other floors are furnished modestly. On the third floor, the landing is used as a small office.

8375988917_ff5e7a0c2f_o.jpg

If needed, a cup of warm tea can be made on the second floor.

8375989185_24de5da4c2_o.jpg

On warm days with no wind, the keeper spends most of his time outside, sitting on the bench or walking around the island and enjoying the nature.

8375892705_514a6e5f29_z.jpg

A view from the top reveals the island's dimensions. It measures approximately 60 cm x 40 cm on its longest axes.

8375899689_3d25b25c7d_z.jpg

This was my first build that was also motorized. I used a combination of 9 V battery box, receiver unit from the train and a M motor. As a total beginner with power functions, I was quite proud of myself for actually managing to slow down the motor, and by adding train receiver, I'm able to spin the light brick at various speed. A video of the lighthouse with a rotating light is posted on Flickr as well as higher resolution photos.

8375883863_c6e97de558_z.jpg

The light on the top is simply a light brick attached to an axle. It is turned on by a brick attached to its back. Also, the top terrace can be lifted to allow easy access to the motor and light brick.

Edited by Redhead1982

There's some very effective touches you have in this MOC - I particularly like the water details, the rocks and the vegetation. It's all well done.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Yeah - let me just repeat my praise from Flickr: There's so much to like here. The texture of the rocks, the greenery, the tiles you've used to illustrate brickwork on the lower part of the lighthouse, and the water effect - it's all wonderful. And obviously, the fact that you've even added a working light is the icing on the cake :)

This is amazing! The island landscape is nice, looks quaint and peaceful. Nice place to think. I can imagine sitting on the bench there and just listening to the waves crash. The build is really great. The lighthouse is nice. I like the interior features and a definite thumbs up on motorizing and having an actual light. For your first entry into PF, a job well done! The water affect is nice too.

This is just gorgeous! I really like the little "living" spaces you put inside.

AWESOME engineering there 'Redhead1982', the detailing is wonderful, so too the rocky appearance of this island and not to forget the motorized light brick. :wub:

Brick On 'Redhead1982' ! :grin:

This is beautiful. :wub: I love the rock work and the landscaping. The weathered look of the bench works perfectly on a lighthouse island.

The building itself looks really solid as well to withstand those howling winds. I particularly like the bricks around the bottom and the dome at the top.

Is that a brick built door? (Might be my ageing eyes, but I couldn't see it well here or on flickr). Is the whole building based on the use of those hinge plates? Great idea for allowing an interior, but that must be a lot of hinge plates! Last question, how tall is it overall?

That is amazing... :thumbup: The lighthouse looks beautiful and the rugged island looks great. It's nice to see you even put a motor inside the lighthouse.

Love it... that rocky pathway up from the docks.... the water and how it clashes on the rocks, the greenery and of course the lighthouse itself. Superb work!

Wow, this is really great! Not only is it a really beautiful creation, but the light actually rotates! :wub:. Great job on both the lighthouse and the landscaping :sweet: Loving the shoreline!

This deserves to be

See it on Classic-Town.net

Thanks for being blogged on Classic town! It's my first and I'm very happy about making it that far. :blush:

This deserves to be

See it on Classic-Town.net

Door is just a classic mold, they are not brick build, but are set off more on the inside, and are hidden from a view. It's not your eyes, it's the position of the door that makes it hard to see. :wink: The lighthouse itself is about 52 cm, that is including a flag pole.

Is that a brick built door? (Might be my ageing eyes, but I couldn't see it well here or on flickr). Is the whole building based on the use of those hinge plates? Great idea for allowing an interior, but that must be a lot of hinge plates! Last question, how tall is it overall?

I was surprised how easy it was to use the power functions (once I realised I had them in other sets, and with some help of local LUG's PF experts online). :grin:

And obviously, the fact that you've even added a working light is the icing on the cake :)

And thanks to everyone for this positive comments.

What to say, absolutely great :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love how you made the island and the rocky shore :wink:

Great build! I really. Like the seashore, the rocks and the color texture of he water. Very beliveable. Also. Looks like a nice place to relax and listen o the crashing of the wave on the craggy rock shore.

Your builds never fail to please. Also, kduos on yhe addition of he powr functions.

Andy D

Gorgeous, all over. The brick texture at the bottom of the lighthouse is beautiful, and the fact you motorized the light is fantastic.

Great work, Readhead1982!

What a fantastic creation Redhead 1982! There is so much great detail on this, with the water/shoreline and the rocky edge of the island, to the Lighthouse itself. Great that you motorized it to add realism. How fidley was it trying to build the lighthouse and create its shape?

Can't say the exact hours, as I wasn't counting them. The lighthouse was build in a month, but I didn't work on it every day. It was maybe 5 hrs of work altogether for the building as it's simple and straight forward. The tricky part was including power function, easy access and a nicely shaped roof and terrace on top of it. This second part was much more time consuming. I'd guess it was more than 10 hrs. And the island part was build very 'quickly' - in two weeks time, again all together around 20 hrs. I mean, if you count the time I needed to chose colour for flowers, it was much more than that. :blush:

Great model! How many hours it took to create?

It wasn't fiddly at all. The base was modeled after DC's Guide (praise). I tried different techniques for round structure, and his seems the best. I countinued with hinges and 1x2 bricks as it's less consuming, and also gives a nice contrast to the bottom ''stoned'' part. With hinges, you don't really get a completely round structure, but it has a nice effect anyway.

How fidley was it trying to build the lighthouse and create its shape?

Very nice lighthouse! Fantastic job! Probably the best one I have seen in Lego. I just finished building one myself, but it looks like nothing to this. :sweet:

I'm bumping the topic with an update from this weekend's exhibition. I added more ''sea'' around the island. The most interesting observation from the exhibition was that the girls noticed mermaids and dolphins, while the boys saw only the Maersk ship in the back. However, there were a few who saw the rotating light as well.

8649554966_f493ef7ebf_c.jpg

There's a few more pictures at my Flickr.