Sign in to follow this  
Lobot

Review: 9679 AT-ST & Endor - Planet Series 2

gallery_101_23_281.gif

I was in Sainsburys today and found this at 50% off. It seemed like a good opportunity to get one & do a review of it at the same time, as it hasn't been before, so here goes!

AT-ST & Endor

Series 2 Planet set

RRP - £9.99 (£4.99 on clearance)

To be honest I think that the planet series are massively over-priced, even by Star Wars standards. I'm not surprised that the majority of the series 1 & 2 have been seriously discounted here in the UK on a regular basis. The only other one I own is Lobot and the Cloud Car :wub: :wub: :wub: which I've bought twice (once for me & once for my SW obsessed nephew!). Anyway, on with the review.

The box is fairly standard stuff, apart from the odd shape, lots of nice little details:

Front of box:

img_4012.jpg

Reverse of box:

img_4013.jpg

The box contains the instructions, planet and two small bags of parts. The Cloud car was definately more full than this one.

Contents:

img_4016.jpg

A nice mix, ideal for anyone who needs small light grey & dark grey parts! Sorry about the alignment but I was battling against the failing daylight!

Parts:

img_4021.jpg

The build was very straightforward and easily accomplished by anyone in their mid-thirties, well late thirties in truth. The booklet is 32 pages and includes 17 stages for the AT-ST plus a further 7 for the planet. Interestingly, Lego have included some really helpful swimming guidance in their instructions, I haven't seen that before :wink:

AT-ST swimming:

img_4023.jpg

The minifigure is obviously the main attraction for most. He's kind of cute for an Imperial and has a standard 'stern' and 'visor' double-sided head. The printing is very clean and is on both sides. He'll make a nice addition to my Imperial forces, which already outnumber my rebels. I'll do my version of the Endor battle one day; he will play a pivotal role by throwing numerous ewoks from the top of his AT-ST and saving the day....and the Death Star! I'll never understand why they didn't lock the top hatch so that Chewie couldn't open it, but hey, that's hindsight I guess :laugh:

AT-ST driver front:

img_4030.jpg

AT-ST driver reverse:

img_4031.jpg

The end result:

img_4041.jpg

Considering the small number of parts used it's surprisingly accurate. Admittedly it's no UCS model, but it will do nicely. The legs are a little awkward to position into the correct places, but it stands well.

Final thoughts: At a RRP of £9.99 it's ridiculously priced, but at 50% off it's not bad at all. For that you get a nice minifigure, and a selection of small parts that would be useful for anyone wanting to SW MOC. I hope that you enjoyed my review, C & C welcome! I think that this has been done before but I couldn't resist:

Mummy!:

img_4046.jpg

Nice! Going to check my local Sainsburys on the way home tomorrow see if they have it half price there.

This set is marked down to $7.50 at my local Meijer, I might keep an eye out incase it gets any cheaper.

These planet sets are almost kind of fun. They really are if you can get them discounted. Even if you don't care much for the model, you still get a nice minifig and a handful of tiny, unique parts. I haven't got more than one of each yet, but series 3 and 4 might change that trend IF they ever go on sale. We're still waiting for the winter sets to get stocked over here, Lame. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the review! This is actually one of the planet sets I am interested in, together with Bespin and Hoth. All the minifigs are useful and the models are nice. At 10€ they are absolutely overpriced, though. I agree here with you entirely and that's the reason they didn't get my money yet.

Are there many uses for planets? I have one, but can't incorporate it in mocs, too big for mocing, too small for playing as a planet...

Thanks for the informative and amusing review Lobot :thumbup:.

I picked one of these up a while ago when Sainsburys had 1/3 off, I still haven't built it though and only really bought it for the figure. The minifig is much needed after the lack of a AT-ST pilot in '8038 Battle of Endor' and this fig is an improvement on the one in 7657, with more detailed print and back printing. However, I do feel it's a bit of an unnecessary improvement and would be happy to own/use multiples of both.

I paid so little attention to the actual model that I've only just realised, by reading your review, that this AT-ST is actually built differently from the awful 30054. This set looks miles better, but I still feel there's room for improvement, particularly on the weapons and feet. Love that printed cockpit though - there must be other uses for that?