TWP

[MOC] Hoth Ion Cannon and Battle of the shield generator

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello, everyone!

Not so long ago there was a Lego event in the Netherlands (Lego World in october). I always make a layout there, this year I also had a Hoth display. Because I wanted this year to also put some MOCs in my layout, I started at some.

I hadn't initially planned to make this one, but when I took my Death Star planet set to move it, I just knew in a moment it would be perfect for an Ion Cannon.

Because everyone was complaining they needed an Ion Cannon in this year's new Battle of Hoth set, I thought I would share it. It is very easy for everyone to make one, because besides some white stones you only need a cheap Tie Interceptor & Death Star planet set.

I did this model very quick, using most pieces from the Home One Mon Calamari Cruiser set and the T-6 Jedi Shuttle. I am sure myself and many others can make this much better and accurate.

so, enough talk, let's show some pictures:

8322760618_7837029467_z.jpg

The fire flame was an idea of someone I know.

8321699495_ac7eccd5ce_z.jpg

Image without flame

planetdefender3la.jpg

real ion cannon. it looks a bit whiter, though.

8321697783_326a3d35bd_n.jpg8322752046_f0e9f8797a_n.jpg

Back: As you can see, it could be lowered very much. from above, with planet removed.

Next: Micro Battle of the Shield Generator

I built this today & yesterday to go with the Ion Cannon, because I thougt the Ion Cannon looked so alone, but actually I think it is more a separate MOC.

anyways, here are some pictures:

8321690629_7cffd49bfe_z.jpg

Complete battle, including shield generator, snowtroopers, Hoth rebel troopers, Darth Vader, Han Solo, tauntaun (from Battle of Hoth Lego game), Anti-trooper turret, Anti-vehicle turret, AT-AT (modded from Battle of Hoth Lego game), snowspeeder (recolored version of 4486 AT-ST and Snowspeeder).

8321679733_0e21634f2b_z.jpg

The shield generator without all the troops.

DSS-02_Shield_Generator.jpg

the real one from ESB

8322731630_f2690084fd_n.jpg8322727704_7cca08fb07_n.jpg

The two turrets. Personally, I really like the The modded vehicles. I think the AT-AT might have

Anti-vehicle. looked better without the 1x4 trans-clear tile.

8321664453_027d9d5615.jpg

The micro shield generator and Ion Cannon together.

for a few more images and images of how they are built see my Flickr account.

I hope you all like it! C & C welcome.

AWESOME ion cannon 'TWP'......though the blast of ion from it I'm not sure if it's meant to be so fiery ? :blush:

Brick On 'TWP' ! :classic:

Good idea, especially on the nipple gun. I just KNEW those ridiculous planets would see some uses! I used mine for X-mas ornaments.

Edited by Only Sinner

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Great! I wonder if I can grab the DS on sale and make one too! I love anything Hoth, after all I have nearly all of the Hoth sets.... :look:

Nice to hear someone else likes it so much he wants to make one himself! If you finished your version, I would be pleased if you posted that one somewhere here too. That's for everyone who makes an Ion cannon himself!

AWESOME ion cannon 'TWP'......though the blast of ion from it I'm not sure if it's meant to be so fiery ? :blush:

Brick On 'TWP' ! :classic:

well that blast was just for fun anyway...

Good idea, especially on the nipple gun. I just KNEW those ridiculous planets would see some uses! I used mine for X-mas ornaments.

Those X-mas ornaments where the chrismas balls right? I saw them with the christmas raffle I think.

I saw people do other nice things with the death star planet set, e.g. for an astromech dome, an homing spider droid dome...

I still have some ideas how to use some of the other planet sets too!

Excellent idea! Too bad there isn't a white planet - oh wait!

gallery_11254_215_20423.jpg

All you need to do is replace the planet :)

Those X-mas ornaments where the chrismas balls right? I saw them with the christmas raffle I think.

I saw people do other nice things with the death star planet set, e.g. for an astromech dome, an homing spider droid dome...

I still have some ideas how to use some of the other planet sets too!

Excellent parts usage. The cannon looks great. It fits the scene well. That might have been my death star planet with deer antlers you saw in the Christmas Raffle. I may borrow your ion cannon firing for my death star bra :classic:

Excellent parts usage. The cannon looks great. It fits the scene well. That might have been my death star planet with deer antlers you saw in the Christmas Raffle. I may borrow your ion cannon firing for my death star bra :classic:

Yeah, so there WERE two of us that used the planet pieces in the raffle. With your brilliant bra idea, we should start a thread with something like; " Making something nice with goofy parts. "

I was just commenting in another thread how I lament the fact TLG didn't have an ion cannon or power generator in the new Hoth set. Yours is fantastic!

I am going to borrow your idea and use the new Hoth planet set to MOC an ion cannon up for my Hoth scene.

Excellent idea! Too bad there isn't a white planet - oh wait!

*snip*

All you need to do is replace the planet :)

What do you mean? are you reffering to "real ion cannon. it looks a bit whiter, though."? I think it looked whiter on only that image, that might be because of all the snow around. I think the Death Star resembles the Ion Cannon better, because of it looking more technical, with all the relief looking like it is metal-plated. I think the Hoth planet looks more nature, less metal, with all the uneven round printing.

I was just commenting in another thread how I lament the fact TLG didn't have an ion cannon or power generator in the new Hoth set. Yours is fantastic!

I am going to borrow your idea and use the new Hoth planet set to MOC an ion cannon up for my Hoth scene.

I still think you'd better use the Death Star, maybe too because of all the white bricks resembling snow and then too a white cannon? Maybe if you finished it, you could compare the Death Star or Hoth planet in a scene?

Well you only really see the cannon once or twice in the movie, and it looks whiter than this. Perhaps it's because it's all frozen / snowy. You're absolutely right about the pattern / detail though. We'll have to wait for the new planets and see which is best, I suppose. Perhaps a death star that's been sprayed white® but then again, who'd do that to their death star...

+1 to BrickieB. The Death Star definitely has a better surface pattern than Hoth for the cannon.

Checking out Wookiepedia it appears the v-150 Planet Defender is indeed more a grey color than white. I stand corrected, and it looks like I'll be buying another Death Star planet set for this MOC.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge pic, I linked it from Wookiepedia.

KDYioncannon_negwt.jpg

Edited by Chills