Blakstone

Next CUUSOO set: 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine

The next CUUSOO set will be 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine.

19_DeLorean_en.png

Unfortunately the Modular Western Town project conflicts with an ongoing project at the LEGO Group and a result, the project does not meet the business case requirements and has not passed the LEGO Review.

thumb640x360.jpg

You can read all about it on the CUUSOO blog.

Shouldn't this be in Special Themes, like the Minecraft set thread?

Anyways, I really hope they make new molds for the figures. Otherwise, this set is gonna be awesome.

Good news on the one hand...let's just hope so much good news doesn't crash the site. :sceptic:

Nah, I'm just joking! :tongue:

Shouldn't this be in Special Themes, like the Minecraft set thread?

Good question... it'll be a license so would also fit in the Licensed forum. I'll just keep it here for now.

Too bad for the Western Modulars, but I am a fan of BTTF, bigger fan of Christopher Lloyd in general. I really hope there is a redesign of the Delorean, though. I am looking forward to this license! :classic:

greatScott.png

Great news on the BTTF set! I can't wait to see what LEGO will come up with as an official set. Definitely a fan of BTTF, Will buy this set when it comes out!

This is a definite buy for me (I loved Back to the Future growing up). Happy the Modular Western Town got picked up as well, as it would compliment the Lone Ranger series nicely (I had my doubts it would get approved as competition with Disney), so I'm a little curious as how they'll execute that.

Back to the Delorean, I'm excited to pick this up. The model looks nice, and though the minifigs look a little awkward, I'm sure Lego will make them look a little better. I do appreciate the 1% going towards the Michael J. Fox foundation.

That really is too bad about the Modular Western Town. Out of all the cuusoo projects I've seen, that one seems to be the very best example of the system. While I can sort of see the point LEGO has about it "conflicting" with the Lone Ranger sets, I don't agree 100%. I think that's like saying the Creator line of houses conflicts with the City line, or the Modular buildings. You can combine all of those together, so too could you combine the Lone Ranger sets with the Modular Western Town. Or if anything, just hold on to the MWT set(s) until after the movie has come and gone.

As for the Delorean, I would love to see it be a huge set with a crazy amount of detail--maybe R2D2 level of detail/piece count. It's such an instantly recognizable vehicle, I would hate to see it released as a tiny set with only 2 or 300 pieces.

I have to agree with that, the Western Modulars seem to have been the best of the lot so far. I would like to get the BTTF set so taking nothing away from that and lets hope the set is a good one. But am really disappointed about the Western set. I cannot see how it would conflict, I imagine any modular is going to be something that would appeal to older fans as opposed to the Lone Ranger sets that will mostly appeal to kids. Nothing wrong with the Lone Ramger sets, I probably won't get any, but I almost certainly would have bought some good quality designed Western Modulars. But there we go, that is the porcupine pricks as they say.

I'm very disappointed about the Western set. One of the best builds I have seen and a real shame that most of the official sets don't even come close. I don't really buy the argument that the themes conflict - surely they would support each other? I was hoping each building would be released separately. Wild West needs to return.

Sadly we have to put up with more unimaginative licensed rubbish rather than exposing how good classic-looking Lego sets can be... sorry but I'm now annoyed :-(

DeLorean is an interesting case, it's not that professional looking as a model. I imagine the final version could be quite different. I even noticed an illegal connection at the front :laugh: . Congrats, it's a good project & I'm sure it will sell.

Happy the Modular Western Town got picked up as well, as it would compliment the Lone Ranger series nicely

No it didn't, read it again.

stealing the idea for lone ranger and then abandoning it?!

No, that's by far the silliest reaction to this news I've heard. There is a western town in the Lone Ranger sets, yes. That has zilch to do with the Modular Western Town project; it just means that there's a western town in the Lone Ranger movie. (Gasp, what a surprise!)

It is a shame that the Modular Western Town isn't going forward, but I can't say it doesn't make sense. Even if there's not a clause in the license agreement that prohibits conflicting products in the western genre (and we can't say for sure that there isn't), the fact is that the Lone Ranger theme is a significant gamble already given how long it's been since there's been a western theme, or for that matter, since westerns as a genre have been in their prime. TLG has every reason not to do something that will divide the theme's potential profits further, particularly when the Modular Western Town would inversely also see its profits suffer (which, since it would already have its audience limited significantly by its enormous size, could be incredibly costly).

Looking forward to seeing how the DeLorean time machine set ends up looking, and also how the Cuusoo staff works to prevent long delays like this for future review periods.

Okay. It's understandable that people are upset by the MWT getting dismissed, but let's look at some of the details first:

1) Cuusoo wasn't created as a "theme-builder." TLG has there own themes and Cuusoo was a way to give fans their own chance at an official set. The Western Theme was released during my dark ages and, I too, am disappointed that MWT won't become a set. It would have been a lower cost way for me to bulk up my growing collection. But this being Lego, we can always build our own. :wink:

2) As for Lone Ranger & MWT (& Modular Buildings) not conflicting. Think about it. We're talking about 3 seperate themes that all blend together.

"I want the one with the big buildings."

"The Pet Store?"

"No, the Bank"

"With Spiderman?"

"No, the western one!"

"Oh, with Tonto!"

"NO! Oh, nevermind... I'll get it myself."

(Ok. I threw a 4th theme in there to make a point about non-Lego fans...)

3) BTTF is the first Cuusoo project to be green-lighted that requires a license. Being the fourth official set, this is promising news. It means that TLG is willing to go after the costs if the fanbase is there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, this is newly released info. Do we have to jump to conclusions and say that one decision is better than the other?

Rhetorical? :wacko:

Hooray for BTTF!

So the way it works is the set is released exclusively to the online shop? I hope they show up on shelves. :cry_sad:

Missed the link to the CUSOO blog, was wondering about Eve online and thought Portal entered the review before June (memory is messy).

I'm really excited about the set. Are we only getting that Back to the Furure set or is there a possiblitity to get a whole wave?

So far, it's only going to be this set. But who knows.

Missed the link to the CUSOO blog, was wondering about Eve online and thought Portal entered the review before June (memory is messy).

The results of those will be announced at a later date.

Sadly only Back to the Future was picked up this time. I thought the modular Western town was excellent but it is not my style. I would have bought the Shaun of the Dead one if that was not rejected due to the R rating of the movie.

I think TLG would be able to improve the DeLoren. The flying cars in the new Spiderman set show what is possible. Still it took the CUUSCO project to show the demand for it.