Jump to content



  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic  – Started by Mr. Townsend , Dec 15 2012 05:23 AM

#26 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

This is becoming a fantastic vessel and you have one of the best riggings I've ever seen, it strikes me as very accurate. There is just one little thing off: the aftmost rope of the shrouds should be perpendicular to the waterline, which is not the case on the second level of the shrouds ;)

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#27 Legonardo

Legonardo
  • Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back


    Posts: 2311
    Joined: 04-December 11
    Member: 22773
    Country: Middle Zealand

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

damn that rigging is amazing!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Flickr


#28 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate


    Posts: 343
    Joined: 25-February 10
    Member: 9706
    Country: USA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 25 March 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

This is becoming a fantastic vessel and you have one of the best riggings I've ever seen, it strikes me as very accurate. There is just one little thing off: the aftmost rope of the shrouds should be perpendicular to the waterline, which is not the case on the second level of the shrouds ;)

I do believe frank meant the for most shroud. If indeed he did, his point is valid The upper for shroud should start at the base of the top mast and follow along its axis. The chains that anchor the upper shrouds will pass between the lowed shrouds and attach to the main mast. The shrouds should not terminate at their height, but rather wrap around the mast they stabilize and double all the way back down to the dead eyes. If the mast leans at an angle back into the wind, a rake, the for shroud will follow that angle. The primary function of shrouds is to keep the masts from tipping from side to side as the ship pitches and rolls. A secondary, but perhaps equally important, function it to brace the mast against the pressure of the wind. If the shrouds lean forward they will likely have little strength against either force and the whole apparatus would collapse. Looking at you images I would suggest reconstructing the cross trees atop the top mast to bring the top of all three shrouds backward about one brick length.

#29 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

View Postkurigan, on 26 March 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

I do believe frank meant the for most shroud. If indeed he did, his point is valid The upper for shroud should start at the base of the top mast and follow along its axis. The chains that anchor the upper shrouds will pass between the lowed shrouds and attach to the main mast. The shrouds should not terminate at their height, but rather wrap around the mast they stabilize and double all the way back down to the dead eyes. If the mast leans at an angle back into the wind, a rake, the for shroud will follow that angle. The primary function of shrouds is to keep the masts from tipping from side to side as the ship pitches and rolls. A secondary, but perhaps equally important, function it to brace the mast against the pressure of the wind. If the shrouds lean forward they will likely have little strength against either force and the whole apparatus would collapse. Looking at you images I would suggest reconstructing the cross trees atop the top mast to bring the top of all three shrouds backward about one brick length.

It does help when a native speaker says what you wanted to say in a perfectly clear way :classic: Thank you Kurigan!

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#30 Imperial Shipyards

Imperial Shipyards
  • Master frigate builder!


    Posts: 571
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7496
    Country: Germany

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Your rigging is coming along really well and it's looking most accurate, as expected. I don't know but I guess it would have been to much work for me in any case. But it's very interesting to see it on your ship. I'll continue to follow your progress. :wink:

Posted ImagePosted Image_Posted Image_Posted ImagePosted Image


INDEX: Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads and Models

"The better is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

flickr


#31 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 161
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 25 March 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

This is becoming a fantastic vessel and you have one of the best riggings I've ever seen, it strikes me as very accurate. There is just one little thing off: the aftmost rope of the shrouds should be perpendicular to the waterline, which is not the case on the second level of the shrouds ;)

View Postkurigan, on 26 March 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

I do believe frank meant the for most shroud. If indeed he did, his point is valid The upper for shroud should start at the base of the top mast and follow along its axis. The chains that anchor the upper shrouds will pass between the lowed shrouds and attach to the main mast. The shrouds should not terminate at their height, but rather wrap around the mast they stabilize and double all the way back down to the dead eyes. If the mast leans at an angle back into the wind, a rake, the for shroud will follow that angle. The primary function of shrouds is to keep the masts from tipping from side to side as the ship pitches and rolls. A secondary, but perhaps equally important, function it to brace the mast against the pressure of the wind. If the shrouds lean forward they will likely have little strength against either force and the whole apparatus would collapse. Looking at you images I would suggest reconstructing the cross trees atop the top mast to bring the top of all three shrouds backward about one brick length.

I agree.  I don't like the look of the shroud angled like that and it will be fixed.  Sadly when the cross tree moves back the shroud will lose tension and need to be restrung.

View PostPerfectionist, on 27 March 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Your rigging is coming along really well and it's looking most accurate, as expected. I don't know but I guess it would have been to much work for me in any case. But it's very interesting to see it on your ship. I'll continue to follow your progress. :wink:

Thanks Perfectionist.  I can't imagine having put this much time into rigging 6 ships at once.  I cry when I think about having to do mast #2.  :sceptic:

#32 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 161
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 11 June 2013 - 03:26 PM.


#33 kabel

kabel
  • lower case


    Posts: 3436
    Joined: 19-July 09
    Member: 6745
    Country: Germany

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Wow, I love brigs, and this one is perfect! Makes me wanna tear down every ship I've build so far. Way to go Mr. Towsend!
Steen Larsson
Carpenter
Royal Architect of Mitgardia and Vice Admiral of the Mitgardian fleet


Posted Image   Posted Image

My Brickshelf

My Flickr

Medieval Ships


Posted Image


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


#34 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1552
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

It's beautiful, as said earlier, the rigging is phenomenal.
I bet some natural daylight would make this ship stand out more in the pictures :wink: .
Posted Image

#35 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 161
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thank you gentlemen.  :blush:  
‚Äč@Sebeus  I need to spend some time and have a good photo session but that will have to wait until she is finished. I can't say this next batch is even up to my normal WIP standard, but they were quick.

The 2x2 round still needs a decal but I'm quite happy with the stern.
Posted Image


Here you can see the futtock shrouds in better detail.
Posted Image

#36 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!


    Posts: 3029
    Joined: 03-December 08
    Member: 4578
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Those shrouds are really beautiful!
Both the colour, the rope-like look, the knots and also how the small horizontal ropes are going through the larger ones.
The quality of the rigging seems to be just as high as on a professional model ship made of wood :thumbup:

Perhaps it would also look nice in terms of proportions to make the lower yardarm of the spanker sail protrude a bit at the stern.
But I guess that would be more personal taste because it's historically accurate either way.

Can't wait to see the next stage of this ship!
Got questions? Need help? New member?                            
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages


#37 Capt. Stabbin

Capt. Stabbin
  • Mister Captain Master


    Posts: 948
    Joined: 03-December 09
    Member: 8447
    Country: USA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

Extremely impressive work!  This has to be some of the best rigging I have ever seen!  Very realistic.....

Go to Classic-Pirates.com

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


Posted Image


#38 Matteo1130

Matteo1130

    Posts: 277
    Joined: 25-September 09
    Member: 7576

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Best creation since now IMHO.

#39 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 161
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 18 June 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Those shrouds are really beautiful!
Both the colour, the rope-like look, the knots and also how the small horizontal ropes are going through the larger ones.
The quality of the rigging seems to be just as high as on a professional model ship made of wood :thumbup:

Perhaps it would also look nice in terms of proportions to make the lower yardarm of the spanker sail protrude a bit at the stern.
But I guess that would be more personal taste because it's historically accurate either way.

Can't wait to see the next stage of this ship!
Thank's Admiral! I'm very excited to hear this from you after your rigging on the Vesta.  :blush:
I rather like the spanker how its set but I may test it with a longer yardarm.  

View PostCapt. Stabbin, on 19 June 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Extremely impressive work!  This has to be some of the best rigging I have ever seen!  Very realistic.....

Go to Classic-Pirates.com
Thanks for the blog Capt. Stabbin'!
I'm extremely happy with how the rigging has come along to this point. And how the input from many talented builders in this forum has improved the rigging and the ship as a whole.
Now however, the running rigging is seeming  a daunting task. :pirate_sad2:

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 20 June 2013 - 04:27 AM.


#40 Horatio

Horatio

    Posts: 108
    Joined: 23-August 11
    Member: 19957
    Country: USA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Beautiful! I have taken a bit of a hiatus, but after looking at your shrouds, I think that I might pull out some string and try myself. Now, did you use hot glue for the ratlines, or are they actually tied?
"England expects that every man will do his Duty." -Lord Nelson

#41 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 161
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostHoratio, on 20 June 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

Beautiful! I have taken a bit of a hiatus, but after looking at your shrouds, I think that I might pull out some string and try myself. Now, did you use hot glue for the ratlines, or are they actually tied?
The ratlines are all individually tied at each end and in between they simply pass thought the larger strings to hold them in place.  I didn't use hot glue but I did put a drop of Krazy Glue in the middle of each knot so as I finished the knot up it dried inside and holds each tight.  Currently there are about 400 knots throughout the rigging.

#42 Captain Edward

Captain Edward

    Posts: 82
    Joined: 03-July 13
    Member: 68430
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Beautiful riggin. I think that cost a lot of work!

#43 ManInATopHat

ManInATopHat

    Posts: 551
    Joined: 10-February 13
    Member: 39467
    Country: Canada

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

That rigging is awesome! Nice work! This is really coming along quite nicely. :pir-laugh:

Posted Image

  Tally Ho Lads! Onwards!

The top hat sporting, lightsaber wielding redcoat.


#44 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat


    Posts: 4501
    Joined: 27-September 08
    Member: 4015
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Fantastic work here! The rigging is perfect! It looks sturdy too. :classic:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!




Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials


Avalonia Trading Company


#45 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 161
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Thank you gentlemen for the comments.  

I'm still a bit intimidated by the remainder of the rigging so I've decided to make sails first.
It took me about and hour to figure out how to thread my sewing machine and then spent the rest of the day learning how to sew.  I'm pretty happy with the result.  I think the spanker turned out the best.
Posted Image

To get the lines the propper thickness I had to go over each two or three times.
Posted Image



Posted Image

The pen will disappear completely with water.


Posted Image

#46 mrsniady1

mrsniady1

    Posts: 26
    Joined: 08-May 13
    Member: 51828
    Country: Poland

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Great job. Sewing with Machine is a pain indeed, especially when you learning how to do it. I also had problems doing it, when I sewn sails for my ships Redskull and Neptune. Anyway, your sails look good too. Keep up good work.

Edited by mrsniady1, 13 July 2013 - 10:29 PM.


#47 Captain Braunsfeld

Captain Braunsfeld
  • Need more MONKEYS!


    Posts: 2692
    Joined: 28-May 12
    Member: 28880
    Country: Germany

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

This is so great!
Has anyone praised the cannons before?
Should you get tired of your fantastic model, we'd happily take it  :wink:

Yours,

Captain Braunsfeld

(Major Samuel Marron of Mitgardia)


Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


#48 Bart

Bart

    Posts: 319
    Joined: 27-January 11
    Member: 15679
    Country: the Netherlands

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

as I scrolled down trough this topic it has gotten better and better, keep on going!

Dus

my photos

#49 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

    Posts: 178
    Joined: 21-August 09
    Member: 7124

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Wow I'm late to this party, but this Brig is fantastic! Already one of the best 2 masters I've seen.  Really impressed with your rigging and sails so far. Did you use a cutting wheel on the sails? I see you've used my cannon technique too, glad to see more brick built cannons on ships of this quality :thumbup: Keep it up!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley
"You see, no one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Wesley..."

Flickr

Posted Image

Persephone                           The Pickle


#50 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 161
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:12 AM

View Postmrsniady1, on 13 July 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

Great job. Sewing with Machine is a pain indeed, especially when you learning how to do it. I also had problems doing it, when I sewn sails for my ships Redskull and Neptune. Anyway, your sails look good too. Keep up good work.
Workin with the sewing machine was definitely difficult at first. This was due mainly to having to run each line multiple times trying to keep them straight and ontop of each other. You can spot a few areas where I did that poorly.  I've gotten a fair amount more skilled since those first three to the point where I won't be using those two top royals.

View PostCaptain Braunsfeld, on 14 July 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

This is so great!
Has anyone praised the cannons before?
Should you get tired of your fantastic model, we'd happily take it  :wink:
Thank you Captain Braundfeld.  The cannon design is from Dread Pirate Wesely whom I'm a big fan of.  I've put a lot of thought into trying to improve them and I just can't do it.  I don't think I'm going to get tired of this ship any time soon though.  I'm very excited to put it on display.

View PostDread Pirate Wesley, on 04 August 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

Wow I'm late to this party, but this Brig is fantastic! Already one of the best 2 masters I've seen.  Really impressed with your rigging and sails so far. Did you use a cutting wheel on the sails? I see you've used my cannon technique too, glad to see more brick built cannons on ships of this quality :thumbup: Keep it up!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley
I'm glad your liking it so far and very glad your back from your long sebatical.  I did use a cutting wheel on the sails and have since learned to use a straight edge as well. :tongue:
I have certainly used your cannons here.  They look great on the Matterhorn and I of course had to use them again.  Brick build guns fit so much better to scale then the Lego ones, not to mention the extra space you get on deck.
Thanks DPW!

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 06 August 2013 - 06:19 AM.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Minifig Illusion, Sailing, Brig, LifeLites, Cannon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links