Jump to content



  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic  – Started by Mr. Townsend , Dec 15 2012 05:23 AM

#1 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 122
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

Hello Everyone,

I would like to present to you my latest WIP, a fourteen gun brig named the Godwin-Austen.  This ship is based off a model of the brig of 1750 HMS Duke of Bedford.  The Godwin-Austen features a full interior in the hold and captain's quarters, NextGen stern and bow, 14 brick-built cannon and 4 swivels, working capstan, and working rudder and tiller.
I built this in LDD before quickly ordering all the parts and piecing this together in about a week.  Now I'm in need of compiling a new wanted list to finish her off and plan to be on rigging early next monthish.  :wink:  
Many thanks go out for this ship especially to Perfectionist, DPW, and CRH.  Cheers Gentlemen.

The Godwin-Austen:

Most recent update:



Posted Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

The tiller turns the rudder.


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

Parts of the deck come off to reveal the hold below

Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr


Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

This should bring you to the LXF.  (once its made public)
http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=518563

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 25 June 2013 - 06:03 PM.


#2 Capt. Stabbin

Capt. Stabbin
  • Mister Captain Master


    Posts: 849
    Joined: 03-December 09
    Member: 8447
    Country: USA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

This is a great start!  The details are very nice. I love the gun deck. Keep up the good work!

:jollyroger:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


Posted Image


#3 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Oh wow, this is looking absolutely great :classic: Tremendously better than your previous one, I must say.

I only have two actual points of criticism. The first is that I'd say that it lack a bit of tumblehome. I know these ships didn't really had much tumblehome but they rarely made 90º with the waterline. The other is the end of the vertical curvature. Your vertical curve is fantastic, very well built, but it should continue at the end instead of stopping. There:

Posted Image

Check here. Besides the railing continuing to increase in height you should notice that the deck is not parallel to the waterline, as you have built it :wink:

This being said… Great colourscheme, details and delicious modularity, it really adds a lot to the ship :thumbup: Keep up the excellent work!

Edited by Frank Brick Wright, 15 December 2012 - 08:28 AM.

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#4 Legonardo

Legonardo
  • Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back


    Posts: 2255
    Joined: 04-December 11
    Member: 22773
    Country: Middle Zealand

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

brilliant! I LOVE the windows!
Keep it up!
~Legonardo

#5 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1466
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Very nice, I really wonder how you got a glass in th center window of the stern :wacko:
I'd like to see some other picture angles, like a castaway-perspective (camera on the table).
Keep it up.

#6 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 122
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments.

View PostCapt. Stabbin, on 15 December 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

This is a great start!  The details are very nice. I love the gun deck. Keep up the good work!

:jollyroger:

:classic:

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 15 December 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

Oh wow, this is looking absolutely great :classic: Tremendously better than your previous one, I must say.
I only have two actual points of criticism. The first is that I'd say that it lack a bit of tumblehome. I know these ships didn't really had much tumblehome but they rarely made 90º with the waterline. The other is the end of the vertical curvature. Your vertical curve is fantastic, very well built, but it should continue at the end instead of stopping. There:


Check here. Besides the railing continuing to increase in height you should notice that the deck is not parallel to the waterline, as you have built it :wink:

This being said… Great colourscheme, details and delicious modularity, it really adds a lot to the ship :thumbup: Keep up the excellent work!

I'm glad you like it Frank.  
The tumblehome was something I thought about including but in the end I passed on.  There were many reasons behind this decision.  Firstly I don't like the look of the studs on plate hinges that sit on the deck when it is tiled.  Secondly with the walls angled inward I couldn't add the black support beams and steps on the inside of the hull and the cannons would have been pushed farther into the middle of the ship reducing deck space.  The third big reason was it would have been to complicated and unstable on what I wanted to be a rather simplistic and sturdy build relative to the complexity of the Matterhorn. (Which is still very much an active WIP)  Overall I thought a tumblehome would just take more away from the other details I wanted and diminish from the overall build.

The vertical curve is definitely something I overlooked when building this and I appreciate your drawing my attention to it.  Its been fixed.

Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

You can't see it too well in the picture but the back of the Quarter deck is now 1 plate higher then it is at the front.

Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

One thing I wanted was for the boat to sit parallel to the water though it is now attached to the angled quarter deck.  It's now attached by two 11L strings.
Posted Image
WIP Godwin-Austen by Mr. Townsend, on Flickr

View PostLegonardo, on 15 December 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

brilliant! I LOVE the windows!
Keep it up!
~Legonardo

View PostSebeus I, on 16 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Very nice, I really wonder how you got a glass in the center window of the stern :wacko:
I'd like to see some other picture angles, like a castaway-perspective (camera on the table).
Keep it up.

I'm glad you two like it so far.  
On the model I used as reference the stern windows are just as I've made them.  I wanted to replicate this very badly as it is the character of the whole rather simplistic stern.  Since this was impossible to duplicate with issued LEGO bricks I filed down a 2x3 window glass to fit.  Purist may frown but it looks very nice.  :grin:
When this is finished I'll be sure to take pictures from many camera angles.

W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 07 February 2013 - 12:51 AM.


#7 Lasse

Lasse

    Posts: 204
    Joined: 13-September 12
    Member: 31840
    Country: Denmark

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Very nice ship with many great details :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to see the final ship.
Lasse Vestergård


Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'd agree with you in the tumblehome, it isn't really very noticeable and would bring some disadvantages as you said.

Posted Image

This is the only angle from where its absence is felt 'cause it makes things a bit more squarish.

The vertical curve is much better now :thumbup: A thing to remember when building both vertical and horizontal curves is that they tend to be progressive and continuous, so if you should have each small section like 8-6-4-4-2-1-1-1 studs long (just an example) and not like 8-6-4-6-4-2-4-2-1. Another thing which is nice to remember is both the stern and the bow are the places where in a ship both vertical and horizontal curves get more abrupt and are therefore more noticeable, so don't be ever afraid to put too much sheer in this areas :blush:

I'm looking forward to see the continuation of this project!

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#9 WilrickB

WilrickB

    Posts: 151
    Joined: 03-November 12
    Member: 32809
    Country: holland

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Wow nice work!

#10 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1466
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostMr. Townsend, on 17 December 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

...
The tumblehome was something I thought about including but in the end I passed on.  There were many reasons behind this decision.  Firstly I don't like the look of the studs on plate hinges that sit on the deck when it is tiled.
A tumblehome is not bound to the use of hinge plates, besides, hingeplates can also be used in SNOT (though it may get complicated).

View PostMr. Townsend, on 17 December 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

Secondly with the walls angled inward I couldn't add the black support beams and steps on the inside of the hull and the cannons would have been pushed farther into the middle of the ship reducing deck space.

View PostMr. Townsend, on 17 December 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

The third big reason was it would have been to complicated and unstable on what I wanted to be a rather simplistic and sturdy build relative to the complexity of the Matterhorn. (Which is still very much an active WIP)  Overall I thought a tumblehome would just take more away from the other details I wanted and diminish from the overall build.
...
These however are valid arguments I definitely agree with, a tumblehome always results in reduced space and I love the deck of your ship, this ship is good without a tumblehome :thumbup:

#11 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 122
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've put some work into the Godwin-Austen recently and would like to present you all with the results of my efforts.  She is now  about 95% compete as far as bricks.  Few details remain these being mainly the catheads and color changes primarily on the mast heads.  The Godwin-Austen now has masts and each of her 14 guns are tethered to the hull. Also compete are the headrails which took me several attempts and gave me hours of trouble, an excessive number of bricksplosions, and nothing but respect for Perfectionist.  I'm very excited for the next major step - Rigging.  :sweet:


The Godwin-Austen:


Posted Image


Posted Image



Posted Image


The stern got a recolor.

Posted Image



Posted Image


She'll have studdin' sails.

Posted Image


Posted Image


Each of her guns are now tied down and pinrails are in place.

Posted Image

SNOT rudder.

Posted Image

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 29 January 2013 - 05:02 AM.


#12 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!


    Posts: 3029
    Joined: 03-December 08
    Member: 4578
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

That is magnificent! :wub:  It's a fantastic and very detailed build.
Very clever you you managed to make an interior with this building technique. And the working rudder is a great feature too!

I think the headrail would look more accurate if you'd put another vertical hose in the middle, between the other two.
And the first bowsprit beam and topgallant yards seem to be too thick and long IMO.
Then again, I really like the fact that you're adding stunsails!

Good luck!
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages


#13 Grimmbeard

Grimmbeard
  • Oh me, oh my! Love that Redcoat Pie!


    Posts: 767
    Joined: 29-August 12
    Member: 30768
    Country: USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Looking good :thumbup:
--Grimmbeard
You've fallen for one of the classic Blunders! the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this, Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!!!

Flickr | YouTube

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

#14 Fraunces

Fraunces

    Posts: 37
    Joined: 13-January 13
    Member: 36467
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Wow I love the way you did this! Keep it up!

#15 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 29 January 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

And the first bowsprit beam and topgallant yards seem to be too thick and long IMO.

My first thoughts too :pir-classic: In the reference pic you are using and that I posted somewhere in an older post you can confirm that. For a ship of this size even 2x2 in the bowsprit is even too much (probably) so your extended thickness/length looks off. Another slight issue for me is that the yards look way too bent. That's quite visible in the first picture but mostly here:

Posted Image

I don't quite like the 1x1 rounds because of the benting but they do look good! If you add extra-weight (like sails and so) to bent yards that may look off, though it might also be easily solvable with rigging. Also the headrails, even after all that pain, still look a bit unfinished :sceptic:

This all being said, I really really like her! She has such a sweet lines and a terrific colourscheme! The amazing degree of detail/dedication you went for this project are noticeable at the first look! :pir-wub:  The working rudder, the stunsails, the interior, all that adds up! Keep up the excellent work!

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#16 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate


    Posts: 287
    Joined: 25-February 10
    Member: 9706
    Country: USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

She is a fine brig to be sure. I am quite enamored with her. I love your level of detail. I am quite eager to see her finished. I do have a few points to raise however. Firstly I might suggest turning the eyelets on the fighting tops 90degrees so that they come off the side of the platform rather than the top. Then tie a string between those and the ones underneath where the lower shrouds are anchored to the top of he mast, for a more realistic look.

The hight of your courses, relative to their width (studding yards considered) seems a bit stunted. The rest of your yards seem well enough, but it appears you could do with a few more bricks to build up the lower portions of your mast, before you apply any string. 

Compared to the rest of Godwin-Austen your capstan seems a bit simplistic. I offer for your consideration, the design I first concepted on my digital fleet and had for a time installed on the late Scorpion. It's not much bigger than what you have, but you can fit many more bars and, if I may flatter myself, looks very much like the real thing. Please feel free to use the design if you find it to your liking. 
http://s199.photobuc...afilter=noflash

I can see why the head rails might have given you such trouble, and applaud your tenacity, though I do agree with Admiral Croissant.

Also, I'd just like to add some clarifications in terms if I may be so bold:
That's not a whip staff, it's a tiller. A whip staff is an archic instruriment; a pole through which a tiller is passed that increases leverage. The purpose of which was to ease the burden of the helmsmen by amplyifying their strigenth against the ocean. By the period of you fine vessel they had fallen out of use on account of their amplyifying the seas force as well, a significant danger to the seamen who operated them. 
If the helm is located there it is a quarter deck. A poop deck does not have the vessel's steering mechanism. Your's, however small and aftward situaited, is a quater deck.
Also, a vessels curvature relative to the water line is known as sheer.

Thanks for sharing, keep building!

Edited by kurigan, 30 January 2013 - 04:01 AM.


#17 Brickington

Brickington
  • It's Tuesday somewhere, right?


    Posts: 2255
    Joined: 29-April 12
    Member: 28288
    Country: USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

Looking great. However, I think that blue circle on the stern isn't the best fit. Just my two cents. :wink:

Posted Image

~Lord Brickington of Avalonia~

My Flickr | Guilds of Historica | Sir Brickington | My Brickshelf


#18 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 122
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 29 January 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

That is magnificent! :wub:  It's a fantastic and very detailed build.
Very clever you you managed to make an interior with this building technique. And the working rudder is a great feature too!

I think the headrail would look more accurate if you'd put another vertical hose in the middle, between the other two.
And the first bowsprit beam and topgallant yards seem to be too thick and long IMO.
Then again, I really like the fact that you're adding stunsails!

Good luck!

Thanks Admiral! I've looked into your suggested improvements and changes have been made.  The headrails have received some more love and a third vertical hose has been added.  I've also decreased the length of the first bowsprit beam though I have not decreased its girth as I didn't like the look of it when I attempted.  The topgallant yards will be made thinner but I have to order the bits to do this.  

The new headrails:

Posted Image


Posted Image


View PostGrimmbeard, on 29 January 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

Looking good :thumbup:

View PostFraunces, on 29 January 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

Wow I love the way you did this! Keep it up!

Thank you gentlemen

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 29 January 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

My first thoughts too :pir-classic: In the reference pic you are using and that I posted somewhere in an older post you can confirm that. For a ship of this size even 2x2 in the bowsprit is even too much (probably) so your extended thickness/length looks off. Another slight issue for me is that the yards look way too bent. That's quite visible in the first picture but mostly here:

I don't quite like the 1x1 rounds because of the benting but they do look good! If you add extra-weight (like sails and so) to bent yards that may look off, though it might also be easily solvable with rigging. Also the headrails, even after all that pain, still look a bit unfinished :sceptic:

This all being said, I really really like her! She has such a sweet lines and a terrific colourscheme! The amazing degree of detail/dedication you went for this project are noticeable at the first look! :pir-wub:  The working rudder, the stunsails, the interior, all that adds up! Keep up the excellent work!

As always Frank you insight is appreciated.  As I've stated earlier in this post the bowsprit has been shortened which you can see in the new pictures of the headrails.  The yards are bent like that simply because I haven't yet bought flex tubes long enough to transverse the whole length of each yard. One of the yards is actually held in place by a 4 length bar. :tongue:   With the purchase and conditioning of some new flex tubes this issue will be fixed entirely.
Thanks for your always well written and constructive comments.  

View Postkurigan, on 30 January 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

She is a fine brig to be sure. I am quite enamored with her. I love your level of detail. I am quite eager to see her finished. I do have a few points to raise however. Firstly I might suggest turning the eyelets on the fighting tops 90degrees so that they come off the side of the platform rather than the top. Then tie a string between those and the ones underneath where the lower shrouds are anchored to the top of he mast, for a more realistic look.

The hight of your courses, relative to their width (studding yards considered) seems a bit stunted. The rest of your yards seem well enough, but it appears you could do with a few more bricks to build up the lower portions of your mast, before you apply any string.

Compared to the rest of Godwin-Austen your capstan seems a bit simplistic. I offer for your consideration, the design I first concepted on my digital fleet and had for a time installed on the late Scorpion. It's not much bigger than what you have, but you can fit many more bars and, if I may flatter myself, looks very much like the real thing. Please feel free to use the design if you find it to your liking.
[url="http://s199.photobuc...afilter=noflash"][url="http://s199.photobuc...afilter=noflash"]http://s199.photobuc...afilter=noflash

I can see why the head rails might have given you such trouble, and applaud your tenacity, though I do agree with Admiral Croissant.

Also, I'd just like to add some clarifications in terms if I may be so bold:
That's not a whip staff, it's a tiller. A whip staff is an archic instruriment; a pole through which a tiller is passed that increases leverage. The purpose of which was to ease the burden of the helmsmen by amplyifying their strigenth against the ocean. By the period of you fine vessel they had fallen out of use on account of their amplyifying the seas force as well, a significant danger to the seamen who operated them.
If the helm is located there it is a quarter deck. A poop deck does not have the vessel's steering mechanism. Your's, however small and aftward situaited, is a quater deck.
Also, a vessels curvature relative to the water line is known as sheer.

Thanks for sharing, keep building!

Thanks Kurigan! I'll see about adding some height to the lowest masts. As I start working on the rigging I'll see about the eyelets on the fighting tops though angled as they are seems to have worked well for Perfectionist.  Your capstan design really does look nice and if you can provide more detailed pictures or a parts breakdown I may attempt to add it.  However do keep in mind that as the capstan does actually raise the anchor it needs to fit a technic axle in the bottom and have strength enough to withstand the tension created by the gears under the deck.

About my terminology I appreciate your corrections and have edited my previous posts in order to sound less ignorant.  :wink:

View PostBrickington, on 30 January 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

Looking great. However, I think that blue circle on the stern isn't the best fit. Just my two cents. :wink:

It'll come together once a decal is added.


Thanks everyone for your viewing and support.
- W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 07 February 2013 - 01:24 AM.


#19 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Member of the stwnfbjs Club


    Posts: 14368
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Wonderful ship, I'm very existed about the overall shape and all the details!

Only thing that I'd adjust is the stern:

View PostMr. Townsend, on 29 January 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

The stern got a recolor.

Posted Image

The outer windows I'd leave as they are, but the ones next to them I'd put one plate up. The middle window I'd put 2 plates up. That'll give a lot more dynamism to the stern. Now it looks a bit flat and lifeless. Also I'd remove the blue round tile (unless you plan to cover it up with a decal).

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here


Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide




#20 ManInATopHat

ManInATopHat

    Posts: 516
    Joined: 10-February 13
    Member: 39467
    Country: Canada

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Looks nice so far! I like the figure head, as well as the stern! Great job. :drool:

Posted Image

  Tally Ho Lads! Onwards!

The top hat sporting, lightsaber wielding redcoat.


#21 captain gabe

captain gabe

    Posts: 37
    Joined: 19-January 13
    Member: 37109
    Country: USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

looks almost like the hms surprise.
Posted Image
"Hi, Ho Silver!

#22 Imperial Shipyards

Imperial Shipyards
  • Master frigate builder!


    Posts: 571
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7496
    Country: Germany

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Well, I've been visiting this topic a couple of times now. While many of the building techniques are familiar to me in the sense that they've been "borrowed", I also spot that you're aiming for a level of detail that is higher than my own. Your swivel guns are the best I've ever seen in Lego; and the tan deck looks brilliant.
When I compare your brig to my own, the Medée, which you took as example I guess, I have to admit that your deck design is not just more detailed, but simply better looking. While that's not true for other parts of the ships, esspecially bow and (improved) stern, I still feel challenged. My problem here is that for playability (space on the deck) and cost (reddish brown instead of tan) reasons I can't quite compete; in other words: you did a lot right here.

I'd still try to give her a more ornate stern ( the shape is good I think) and get the headrails sorted; the middle tube isn't quite in the middle.

I'm still curious to see how you're planning to make sails and rigging.

Posted ImagePosted Image_Posted Image_Posted ImagePosted Image


INDEX: Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads and Models

"The better is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

flickr


#23 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 122
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

View PostBonaparte, on 07 February 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Wonderful ship, I'm very existed about the overall shape and all the details!

Only thing that I'd adjust is the stern:

The outer windows I'd leave as they are, but the ones next to them I'd put one plate up. The middle window I'd put 2 plates up. That'll give a lot more dynamism to the stern. Now it looks a bit flat and lifeless. Also I'd remove the blue round tile (unless you plan to cover it up with a decal).

Thanks Bonaparte!  
The windows on the stern I'm actually quite happy with though I do agree the stern needs something.  I'll look into adding some ornamentation and see how it looks then.

View PostPerfectionist, on 14 February 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Well, I've been visiting this topic a couple of times now. While many of the building techniques are familiar to me in the sense that they've been "borrowed", I also spot that you're aiming for a level of detail that is higher than my own. Your swivel guns are the best I've ever seen in Lego; and the tan deck looks brilliant.
When I compare your brig to my own, the Medée, which you took as example I guess, I have to admit that your deck design is not just more detailed, but simply better looking. While that's not true for other parts of the ships, esspecially bow and (improved) stern, I still feel challenged. My problem here is that for playability (space on the deck) and cost (reddish brown instead of tan) reasons I can't quite compete; in other words: you did a lot right here.

I'd still try to give her a more ornate stern ( the shape is good I think) and get the headrails sorted; the middle tube isn't quite in the middle.

I'm still curious to see how you're planning to make sails and rigging.

Hello Perfectionist,
I'm proud to have you following my thread.  You are of course correct that I looked into the Medée for some insight and inspiration.  Many of the techniques in use here are obviously of your design but I've made no attempt to hide this.  This is why your name appears many times throughout this thread.  Many techniques are taken from other builders as well and I've tried to give credit where it is due.
What I've attempted to do is create a ship using what I consider to be the best techniques available to build the best looking vessel I can. When there is no technique I like, I make my own.  The swivels are an example of this and I'm glad you like them.  Your ships are the best I've seen and though I'm not particularly trying to build something better I certainly refuse to build something worse, especially not just for the sake of having designed all the techniques myself.

I'm going to look into a more ornate stern and I'll center the middle tube on the headrails.

As for the rigging I can offer you a peek into what I have planned:

I want to keep the same amount of detail in my rigging as to match the rest of this ship and so I will include all the blocks.  I've noticed, sometimes when other builders include blocks the spacing isn't always the same and it looks a bit sloppy.  To compensate for this I carved soap to act as spacers when I string them together.

Posted Image



Posted Image

As I've not done rigging before I had to reevaluate the construction of my channels to allow for the connection I needed.  Now they have 1x1 round plates that allow a wire to wrap around holding the bottom block in place.
The string I've decided to use is nylon as it wont stretch the way cotton string would.  I've dyed all the string using coffee as it was originally pearl white.

Posted Image

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 19 February 2013 - 01:41 PM.


#24 Imperial Shipyards

Imperial Shipyards
  • Master frigate builder!


    Posts: 571
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7496
    Country: Germany

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostMr. Townsend, on 19 February 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:


Posted Image

I've thought about using cannon wheel for blocks when I visited HMS Victory in Spring 2011, but to be honest I was too lazy to make it work on 8 ships :blush: . The soap? for standardising the spacing is a very clever idea :thumbup: . This ship is going to be really good.
Obviously you did benefit a lot from techniques already available, which made it all easier for you and the result better. Still, your own touch is very visible and your talent shows in such details. Congratulations!

From my own experience I can tell you though that you are probably not even half way through the building process since rigging and sailmaking usually takes longest. Especially ratlines require a lot of patience.

Good luck on completing her!

Posted ImagePosted Image_Posted Image_Posted ImagePosted Image


INDEX: Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads and Models

"The better is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

flickr


#25 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

    Posts: 122
    Joined: 31-July 11
    Member: 19385
    Country: United States

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Rigging is moving and as expected it is slow going but I wanted to share some progress shots.


Posted Image


In order to allow a fig to stand on the fighting tops they had to be expanded two studs wider.

Posted Image


The anchor cables have been made as well and after having expanded the area to coil them beneath deck the capstan now reels them in.

Posted Image

After I took the above pictures and made this post I received an anticipated package in the mail. LifeLites! (I apologize for the low image resolution on these last pictures; IPhone)

Posted Image



Posted Image


Posted Image

Edited by Mr. Townsend, 25 March 2013 - 11:31 PM.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Minifig Illusion, Sailing, Brig, LifeLites, Cannon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links