Winter Village: Winter Village Church

21 replies to this topic

#1 stebai

stebai

Member: 33445

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

Posted Image B-OV-40C

Hi all,

Update - Having seen many other entries since i posted my church, I've enjoyed reading the little back stories that most have written. I didn't actually consider this at the time i posted since i think my entry was the first to be submitted. Anyhow - time to rectify.

My church isn't really based on anything other than a Christmas card i received last year. It immediately struck me as a great looking building to add to my small Winter Village. So i can't really offer up photo's of the original (and sadly i disposed of the card.)

Well after last years superb entries i vowed i'd have a go this year - and i guess someone has to be first off the blocks. So here is my effort, it is in keeping with both scale and parts - i used a transparent sticker to make the plain glass into "stained" glass as this appears to be within the rules.

Err not much more to add - sorry the photo's are a bit naff, it's actually really hard to get the right lighting to take decent close ups..

I hope lots of others have fun building and sharing their creations as much as i did with mine.

Posted Image

The overall picture shows Mr & Mrs Willoughby sat in the very same seat they first met at 50 years ago. They married shortly after in the church behind them. The Village Vicar, Kenneth Scott is, as always, reading the good book as he leaves to collect the X-mas cake from the Bakery around the corner. Meanwhile Sam Royce and his father David admire the Vicars modelling skills inside the new nativity scene.  

Posted Image

I particularly like the organ and the bell tower, trying to fit so much into such a small scale building was kinda hard though. Oh yes there is a light brick there which lights the windows quite beautifully.

Things you can't quite see are: the table on level 1 which has a bottle and goblet upon it - pulling those bell ropes sure is thirsty work! Patricia Scott, the Vicars wife (and church organist) heading out the main double door side entry.

Posted Image

The vicar leading the congregation in a rousing choral extravaganza!

Posted Image

Ahhhh... The Willoughby's again, my favourite elderly couple.

Posted Image

Finally the Nativity which does have a little 3 wise men sticker inside too... just impossible to photo though.

So there you have it - thanks for looking, and Merry Christmas to all.

Edited by stebai, 23 January 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#2 crayonboi

crayonboi

Member: 31388

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

Nice! Love it.. :sweet:

#3 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Delightful and very Christmas indeed......a simple old country church with a small Nativity scene too...so cool and cute ! :wub:
Good luck in the contest.....Brick On in the snow 'stabei' ! :classic:

#4 Kristel

Kristel

• Drunk, Nervous and Giggling

Member: 28686

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

This church looks really great and fits in nicely with the official models. The nativity scene is a nice feature.  Well done.

Good luck in the contest!

Current Mafia: watching from the sidelines

Past Mafia: Aperture Academy - Harriet Slutter - Mafia - Silver City - CMF - After Dark - Ragnarok Now Redux - CMF2

Linkies: flickr - ModularsbyKristel (blog) - FriendsBricks - BrickLink - LPub Tutorial

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Spend wisely, build more and enjoy what you have!

#5 herrJJ

herrJJ

Member: 32797

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Very nice church. I like the bell mechanism. :wub: Also the surrounding is verly lovely. Great work
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Playing Nessa Anárion in Heroica, trying to find the Hook on the Other Hand on Quest #69
[STATS] and [STORY]

Shooting session with Nessa on flickr

Posted Image
Playing Heron Jujube, killed on Night One, raised as an undead on Night Two but perished again on Day Three, then resurrected on Day Four and finally died on Night Six (so close) in Sandy's Cruel Angel's Thesis Mafia-MMORPG

We opened a new BrickLink Store: steinreich24.com - From fans for fans! Learn more about our idea in the Bazaar!

Timezone: CEST (UTC/GMT+2)

#6 stebai

stebai

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Thanks herrJJ - yeah the bell mechanism isn't too easy to see but it's fully working - in that each "rope" pulls the bell in a different axis, if only it clanged !!

Edited by stebai, 11 December 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#7 quentinfarquar

quentinfarquar

Member: 33388

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

That's great, would look great in my scene. I have never made a model from scratch, just wondered how you went about something like this.

#8 PsyKater

PsyKater

• I am Adriano. Please be nice.

Member: 30022

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

It is great and fits very well! The open back, the size, the bell :wub: and the mini additions. Just great! I think it is the best Winter Village Church, I've seen so far.
- PsyKater [psyː'kɑtɐ]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Stigveladi Kötturin, the Ghost Buster

in Sandy's Heroica! The RPG!

247 years old Dwarven Mage

[stats] | [story] | [intro] | [currently on the Fields of Glory]

Timezone: CEST (UTC/GMT+2)

Retak Yps, Nephilim Necromancer

in Sandy's Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis

2013 years old male Fenerian Necromancer

Posted Image

We opened a new BrickLink Store for you: steinreich24.com - From fans for fans! Learn more about our idea in the Bazaar!

#9 gazumpty

gazumpty

• Kidney for Sale

Member: 32856

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Excellent work Stebai, I love the way you have conveyed a simple yet effective architecture to the church...plus adding the snow :grin: I've been looking at some great Lego Churches as a wee help towards making my wife (who isn't convinced by my darkest Lego love :wub: ) a microfig scaled model of our wedding church for our Anniversary. I may be pinching some of your techniques here...love it!!

Brick On and "Gie it Laldie!!" :tongue:

"You make take our lives....but you'll never take our LEGO!!!!!!"

Posted Image

Check out my stuff on here...

#10 The Player Nº1

The Player Nº1

Member: 9578

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Loved it!!! Congrats.

#11 eurotrash

eurotrash

• Put the FUN in funicular

Member: 25286

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Nicely done!  Although the Doctor Who 'Weeping Angel' is giving me the creeps :wink:

#12 Wedge09

Wedge09

Member: 29763

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Really nice work :thumbup: :thumbup:

My gallery on Flickr, My gallery on Brickshelf as WedgeNT, My (tiny) collection & don't forget to visit my new blog Life in a Brick

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alexander Vandangant, 99-year-old male Elf Hunter in Sandy's HeroicaRPG

and proud member of Avalonia

Wedge09, proud member of the Rebel Alliance in Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

Weyrdág, in Sandy's Cruel Angel’s Thesis ~ Downfall of Heroes

Come to ridiscover the Guilds of Historica

P.S: M¥ n4m3$ 1$ W3Ð9309

#13 Andy D

Andy D

• Older than Dirt

Member: 12805

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Very nice WV Church.  I really need a church for my Winter Village... No time now, maybe next year.

Your church has lots of nice features, worthy of being included in a Winter Village.

Good luck in the contest.

Andy D
Less spending, more building is my plan for 2012!
Get organized and build more is my plan for 2013!
Just build more is my plan for 2014! (Good luck with that!)
Neatness counts!

#14 soundwave_sw

soundwave_sw

Member: 14431

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Welcome to the contest Stebai.  Good job on your church.  I like the bell and the snow details.  Good luck on the contest!

Play Well.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
My Brickshelf[/url]
My Flickr

#15 LEGO Train 12 Volts

LEGO Train 12 Volts

Member: 8037

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Great MOC! :thumbup:
I can feel the Christmas atmosphere! :wub:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#16 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

• Propping up Historica's freedom

Member: 27955

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Looks nice, I had thought of a church as well for a second... but you're steeple is way better than anything I would be able to do! :thumbup:   Nice job!

--ipernity--(Flickr)--The Brick Blogger--

Posted Image_____Posted Image

Google Ron Paul! - Ageven Deraim, loyal Kaliphlin! - gid617

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, and your house"

#17 HundredHander

HundredHander

Member: 24934

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

That's great, I love the bell pulls.

I have something very similar to post so I better do it sharpish!

#18 Man with a hat

Man with a hat

Member: 15917

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Very nice. I think this is completely in the spirit of the whole Winter Village line.
It is a nice church and you managed to keep the scale down but still keep every typical aspect of a church in there as well as the compulsory street scenes.
Perfect!

Edited by Man with a hat, 12 December 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#19 stebai

stebai

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postquentinfarquar, on 11 December 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

That's great, would look great in my scene. I have never made a model from scratch, just wondered how you went about something like this.
Hi i use the LDraw designer program on my pc - It's a little fiddly at first but you get used to it and it produces great results. You can then view in 3d with LView and publish instructions in LPub. Hope this helps, oh and btw it's all free to download but you probably should make a donation to the brilliant creators.
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, Happy Christmas!

#20 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

• Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for sharing. This is a great MOC. The bell-tower is brilliant. I love the vicar too actually! The design of the exterior is spot on for a nice village church.

I considered doing a church, but I assumed many people would do one so I was going another route. But your church is a fresh take on everything.

Good luck in the contest!
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#21 stebai

stebai

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments over the last month and a bit (seems like forever since the 11th December when i originally posted my entry!) I think there are so many great entries this year and i can't wait to vote for my favourites, My favourite entries always had some kind of background or little story that went with them and i realized my Church didn't so I spent a little time writing a short piece. Thanks again. (I've already been considering some further additions - gee this lego thing is addictive!)

#22 vecchiasignoraceppo

vecchiasignoraceppo

Member: 36793

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

i love it. :wub:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users