• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainCRO

CaptainCRO

Member: 15586

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

Posted Image

Hello guys.
I am not really sure if this is a good place to post this thread but I hope it is.
So, I have a 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon. I have had it for years now.
And since it is displayed on a shelf without glass it gets really dusty from time to time.
So I have always cleaned it with a compressor and after that with a brush.
Until today I havent noticed that i have scratched the parts with this brush.
It was not a soft brush, but I didn't think anything could happen to plastic by using it for cleaning
Today I have accidentaly broken one piece from the model while walking through my room.
I then used a flash light and fixed it, but while fixing it I noticed some parts are scratched when looked
At with a light.
I dont know what to do now. Should I BL new parts(not the whole set)?
Did anyone experience anything similar and how frequent are scratches on Legos?
Thank you and I apologise if this is not the right forum to ask this.
Lego Star Wars exclusive minifigures:                                      

Chrome C-3PO                                                                        
Chrome Darth Vader✔️                                                              
Chrome Stormtrooper                                                              
White Boba Fett✔️                                                                    
Shadow ARF Trooper                                                              
TC-14✔️                                                                                    
Shirtless Darth Maul✔️                                                              
Han Solo (Hoth)✔️                                                                    
Clone Lieutenant✔️                                                                  
TC-4✔️                                                                                      
Darth Revan
Luke Skywalker (Celebration)✔️                                                          
Han Solo (Celebration)
Darth Vader (Celebration)
Young Han Solo
NY I love Yoda
Special Forces Commander

#2 Only Sinner

Only Sinner

Member: 21171

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

You can actually buff ABS back to a smooth shine. Use 1200 or finer sandpaper, then use some buffing compound or a polymer safe  polish and a Dremel tool with a soft buffer head. Very gently polish the plastic back to normal. I thought it was crazy the first time I saw sombody do it to a Mercedes. But, hey it's worth a shot, right?
Posted Image

#3 CaptainCRO

CaptainCRO

Member: 15586

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostOnly Sinner, on 09 December 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

You can actually buff ABS back to a smooth shine. Use 1200 or finer sandpaper, then use some buffing compound or a polymer safe  polish and a Dremel tool with a soft buffer head. Very gently polish the plastic back to normal. I thought it was crazy the first time I saw sombody do it to a Mercedes. But, hey it's worth a shot, right?
Thanks!
Did anyone try this? Can someone confirm that it works?
Lego Star Wars exclusive minifigures:                                      

Chrome C-3PO                                                                        
Chrome Darth Vader✔️                                                              
Chrome Stormtrooper                                                              
White Boba Fett✔️                                                                    
Shadow ARF Trooper                                                              
TC-14✔️                                                                                    
Shirtless Darth Maul✔️                                                              
Han Solo (Hoth)✔️                                                                    
Clone Lieutenant✔️                                                                  
TC-4✔️                                                                                      
Darth Revan
Luke Skywalker (Celebration)✔️                                                          
Han Solo (Celebration)
Darth Vader (Celebration)
Young Han Solo
NY I love Yoda
Special Forces Commander

#4 BrickieB

BrickieB

Member: 32628

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

I have not tried this exactly, but I do have some experience with a dremel and the buffing tool. I would start trying this on a spare brick: a lot of things can happen, creating spots, dips, melting the plastic, etc. Depending on how bad the scratches are, you could also try doing it manually: get a rubbing compound and a cloth and just try it out. I would start trying it manually - or if you use the dremel, set it to the lowest possible speed.

There are several versions of rubbing compounds, going from coarse to even out deep scratches all the way to a 'finish' version, which should make it shiny again.

Tip: some toothpastes work perfectly for this; if you want to be safe you can also get a fine modelling compound used to buff plastic static models. Tamiya is an excellent brand with several products you could buy. I don't know where in the world you are, but this store ships anywhere:
http://www.etamiya.c...rse-p-6608.html
http://www.etamiya.c...ine-p-6609.html
http://www.etamiya.c...ish-p-6610.html

imho trying toothpaste / rubbing compound and a cloth couldn't do a lot of damage...

Hope this helps!

#5 into the blue

into the blue

Member: 19414

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Jeez, what kind of brush were you using, a wire one?
See this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

#6 Faefrost

Faefrost

• Fire Policefighter

Member: 27890

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

There is probably a cheaper way to put all of this together, but here is a good example of the tools used to buff scratches out of opaque plastic.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000ARPH4C

I've used these on model kits and they work quite well. Personally I don't like using the Dremel buffing pads on plastic as I find I tend to do as much damage with them as I do repairs, but depending on your skills you mileage may vary. (Ill also concede that I probably do not have the patience to hand buff every visable piece on a UCS Falcon, and would most likley resort to the Dremel, after a few tests.)
Posted Image
My First Real MOC!
Almost ready for customers! Comics, Karate, and brutally painful Dentistry, all under one roof!

#7 Hey Joe

Hey Joe

Member: 29259

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

View Postinto the blue, on 11 December 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Jeez, what kind of brush were you using, a wire one?

Yeah, really; this whole topic kinda blows my mind.  I could imagine all that work for a deep scratch but for minor stuff I'd have to say you're fighting a losing battle.
My family's collection on Brickset: http://www.brickset....?ownedBy=bjtpro

Check out my 1st review; 10250 Creator - Year of the Snake here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users