Sign in to follow this  
Crownie

Stepping out...

Hello everyone,

I've been a visitor to this website for many months now, but just recently have worked up the courage to register. I thought I'd introduce myself here before I jump right in and start randomly participating in message threads, though.

A bit of background:

I grew up in the 1980's and my introduction to LEGO was through Classic Castle; the first set I have memories of owning was 6077 Forestmen's River Fortress. My family wasn't able to afford a lot, and I think that remained my largest set until I recieved 6075 Wolfpack Tower in the early 90's. A couple of smaller sets, probably half castle and half pirate made up the rest of my collection at the time.

In middle school, I spent a lot of time with my 6th-grade neighbor, who's parents were able to afford purchasing the majority of Islanders and Dragon Knights sets for him. You can only imagine the battles we used to construct. My interest in LEGO waned more and more in High School, though the release of the Egyptian Adventurers line got me to purchase a few of the better sets. (Those were SO awesome.) At the time, I was heading off to design school with a focus on themed entertainment (primarily theme parks), so I did spent several afternoons pulling old LEGO out of the closet to reconstruct portions of the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride. :grin:

Graduated with honors, but life threw a couple of curve balls and the LEGO was lost - along with most of my aspirations as a theme park designer. I got involved in other pursuits (Moving, work, more school), and had entirely forgotten about the brick until I came across the new Fantasy Castle line. In a burst of nostalgia, I requested the King's Castle Siege for my birthday; my mother amusingly wasn't even phased by her 25-year old son wanting LEGOs. :laugh:

Curve ball number two was thrown, and I went through a pretty tough time involving some life-changing health concerns and once again, all LEGO (the whopping one set) was lost (This time to medical bills, lol.)

Come 2012, and the release of LEGO Lord of the Rings once again kick started my interest in LEGO. I started spending a lot of time online, dicovering several incredible websites (including this one) comprised of fellow AFOLs who were just as excited about the toy as I was. They say the 3rd time's a charm, and it certainly seems that way - it's been over a year and my interest hasn't waned one bit. I've been able to collect quite a few sets in the past year - several milestones were re-purchased MIB including 5988 Temple of Anubis and 7094 King's Castle Seige (the set I loved so much I named myself after it, lol) - as well as many current sets (LOTR, Monster Fighters, CMF's, ect.)

If you made it this far, congratulations! This will probably be the longest post I'll ever type; hopefully it wasn't too boring. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone else and I'm very glad to have found Eurobricks!

Edited by Crownie

Welcome to EB.com and enjoy your stay!!! Forestmen's River Fortress was (and is) a very nice set! I'm more into trains now but back then also had most 'robin hood' sets...

I was the same way in my childhood, Castle and Pirates was what I was interested in. Welcome to EuroBricks! Can you name some rides you have designed?

I was the same way in my childhood, Castle and Pirates was what I was interested in. Welcome to EuroBricks! Can you name some rides you have designed?

Maybe I jumped around a bit too much :blush: ; I never actually made it into the design field professionally, though it sort of looks like I might end up there again - just not in an entertainment capacity. I did do several internships at the time, one of which was with a company developing a mobile/traveling Wild West theme park/resort. Sadly, it never ultimately went anywhere, but I thought my concept work turned out fantastically. Would've been really cool.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Maybe I jumped around a bit too much :blush: ; I never actually made it into the design field professionally, though it sort of looks like I might end up there again - just not in an entertainment capacity. I did do several internships at the time, one of which was with a company developing a mobile/traveling Wild West theme park/resort. Sadly, it never ultimately went anywhere, but I thought my concept work turned out fantastically. Would've been really cool.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

I'm actually in negotiations right now to start work next week for a local marketing/advertising firm. It's part time, but should work out really well as they have the time and ability to train me - both in software and in the marketing industry itself. If nothing else, it will expose me to plenty of other types of jobs, and who knows I might find something I like even better.

As long as I have funds to procure LEGO. :grin:

I'm actually in negotiations right now to start work next week for a local marketing/advertising firm. It's part time, but should work out really well as they have the time and ability to train me - both in software and in the marketing industry itself. If nothing else, it will expose me to plenty of other types of jobs, and who knows I might find something I like even better.

As long as I have funds to procure LEGO. :grin:

Good for you, good luck in your new job :wink: