Official-Alternate Models

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 marco9999

marco9999

Member: 13516

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postlegolijntje, on 06 December 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

I made a quick example  (I used natesroom's 6030 set example) to demonstrate the idea:

Very nice job.
I think a lot of nice stuff may come from this topic especially because some alternative models are shown in the booklet but in most cases they are only shown on the back of the box, so they are very hard to find unless you owned the set and kept the box. The only one problem is that such models have to be built from a single picture so that you may not have all the elements you need to build the hidden faces. On the other hand that would give your job some originality and make it even more valuable for that. That would be fine as long as you use parts which actually are in the set in the right amount.
I hope I also can contribute some way.

#27 natesroom

natesroom

Member: 26928

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I'm very enthusiastic that you guys are actually warming up to the idea. In fact in all the forums im a part of this thread has been the best experience of any i've started or been a part of.

legolijntje - Could i request just a little bit of a bigger render? I think that we should make some guidelines so any renders are standard sizes. Also Could we generate an instruction file and a post a link to it?

I think since they don't have any real instructions we should post a .pdf of them with the render. one issue i have is i see great MOC's.. but i don't know how to do them. I've tried and done okay on my own but what i feel this is intended to accomplish is here you have 6030 set and here is how you build official set. Now you build alternates and it expands your brain to think of pieces differently then their original use and starts to break down the walls of stagnant thinking by introducing complex ideas with the SAME pieces... i think its great!

Edited by natesroom, 07 December 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#28 Calabar

Calabar

Member: 10232

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Postnatesroom, on 07 December 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

Could I request just a little bit of a bigger render? I think that we should make some guidelines so any renders are standard sizes. Also Could we generate an instruction file and a post a link to it?
About the rules, you can read those of the LDD and LDraw official set topics.

Remember that renderings and PDF instructions could be an heavy entry barrier.
Renderings require long time and a quite powerfuil PC. Create good PDF instructions could require much work and familiarity with text/image edit tools.
So I think you can promote that but make these compulsory could scare away potential builders.

About image size I suggest you to apply the same limits of the LDD Official Sets topic (max 512x512 for large sets) because, if instruction booklet should crop up, the set's alternative could be easily transferred inside the official sets topic.
"Official LEGO Sets made in LDD" topic: Read guidelines before posting!

#29 natesroom

natesroom

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Was the Rendering the same size as the LDD Officials? It seemed a little smaller, but yeah 512x512 is perfect.

I thought the program could output instructions? If not then its not necessary, i only suggested it because i thought it was an easy addition.

so lets lay down some rules huh?

Allowed Sets
  • Only alternative Model design as released on official Box Art, Lego Club Magazines, Official Lego Marketing materials are allowed
  • Set have to be constructed using only the pieces available in the official set itself.
  • The set have to contain something you can build. Sets with scattered parts or single minifigures are not allowed. [new!]
Use of images in the topic
  • Only images related to posted sets (and then lxf file) are allowed, as a preview.
  • Only one image for each set is allowed. One replicating the image.
  • Images should be simple and clear: no "creative" images are allowed, but simple screenshots.
    Avoid compositions (more images in one), images  with another image as background, animated images, 3D images, renderings with external CAD softwares, etc... [new!]
  • Don't quote images from other posts.
  • Any other image can be inserted as text link.
  • As images are for preview purpose only, should be not too big!
    Maximum size allowed is 512x512 pixels. Use 256x256px size or lower for small sets.
  • Crop images removing horizontal and vertical blank stripes.
Insert a model
  • Report set number, set official name and Alternative Set Location (Inside Box Flap, rear of box top right)
    and emphasize that in bold, in order to help to generate the index.
    For example: 5988 - Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins - Theme: Adventure
  • Report the version of LDD used to build the model. That's explicitly required when the version used it's not the last release. [new!]
  • Please specify if the set is in the index already! (i.e. if it is a duplicate)
  • Insert a screenshot of your creation, in order to provide a preview. One screenshot for each set.
  • Report if the model is complete or some piece is missing or replaced by a custom solution.
  • Don't divide a single set in more than one post.
  • Put a single set in a single .lxf file. If necessary (or even if not!), use LDD groups function to separate different elements.
  • LDD model should be similar to the original model as much as possible. Include minifigs, if any.
    Every personalization (personal logos, additions, changes) makes a model a "Modified Model". [new!]
  • and obviously... Share you lxf file!  :wink:
Update a set
  • Update the post where you originally inserted the set.
  • Report the update in the Upgrade Topic.
  • Be care to follow the rules of the Upgrade Topic.
[Sets created by other users]
  • If the set has been built by another user, contact him and ask him to update.
  • If contact model's builder wouldn't possible or he don't want to update it, insert the updated model in a new post as it would be a new model,
    but specify it is an update and insert the link to the original model's post.
  • Inform the indexer before posting.
Besides
  • You are encouraged to inform an LDD file maker if you notice an adjustable defect in his/her LDD file!
  • If you notice something wrong in the index, please report it to the indexer.
  • If you use custom pieces to replace missing bricks in LDD, please post it in the "LDD custom bricks" Topic!

Edited by natesroom, 07 December 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#30 Calabar

Calabar

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Obviously you need to "clean" your draft yet! ;)
Some rules seems to need to be adjusted (I suggest you to modify your post above instead than post again).

Are you sure about allowing two images? I think it could be confusing, and don't help the work of the indexer.
A single image makes the set immediately identifiable, every other element (such as hidden parts) can be inserted in a text link (which leads to an image, of course).

#31 natesroom

natesroom

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hmm i thought i did clean them if you compare but what were you thinking?

#32 Gnac

Gnac

Member: 30056

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

So I eventually got a load of Designer sets (including 4402, 4403 and 4404, woot), but before I recreate those, I'll be testing the waters here with some of the alts from the X-POD instruction booklets.

I've identified each model according to which page it appears on, and used an alpha suffix to show which model appears first on the page (E.G., model A can appear at the top of a page, or the very left, depending on how the ideas are presented). Everything else tries to stick to the LDD official topic rules.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4335 - Black Robot Pod [Page 11, Model A] - theme: X-POD

Posted Image

LXF (LDD 4.3.6)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4335 - Black Robot Pod [Page 11, Model B] - theme: X-POD

Posted Image

Error (yep, an error on a little thing like this):
  • Part 3957 (antenna) cannot fit in the anti-stud cavity of the 1x2 slope.
LXF (LDD 4.3.6)

4335 - Black Robot Pod [Page 11, Model C] - theme: X-POD

Posted Image

LXF (LDD 4.3.6)

Posted Image

Pick-a-BRICK: SET | SHELF | SAFE (SOOON)

Today is always the most enjoyable day!

#33 Calabar

Calabar

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm not sure I've understood why these entries cannot be inserted in the Official Sets topic.
If the models are based on official instructions, we consider that official.
Or in the official instructions appear only an image but not the steps?

#34 legolijntje

legolijntje

Member: 11214

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostCalabar, on 16 March 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

I'm not sure I've understood why these entries cannot be inserted in the Official Sets topic.
If the models are based on official instructions, we consider that official.
Or in the official instructions appear only an image but not the steps?

As you can see in the booklet that Gnac linked, these models only have only a few pictures and no instructions. This was with many Designer Sets back then.

#35 Palathadric

Palathadric

• Makes other members' internet speeds seem ridiculously fast

Member: 19379

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

View Postlegolijntje, on 06 December 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

-snip-
Yeah, I was thinking of doing this for the Castle and Pirate sets, but I've got to at least finish the Official Castle sets first and I have been busy with other things so I haven't really worked on any more models in ages.

Edited by Palathadric, 18 March 2013 - 11:50 PM.

They that love God will never meet for the last time.
This life isn't the end. We will meet again.
Posted Image     Posted Image     Posted Image
Brickshelf Account
See my work in the Official Lego sets made in LDraw topic

#36 Calabar

Calabar

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

It seems that natesroom abandoned the idea of creating an indexed topic for these entries.
Any other volunteer? :tongue:

#37 natesroom

natesroom

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well i didnt abandon the idea as i  wasnt sure what to do from the last time we posted. I dont know how to design anything in LXF or LDD so i was hoping others would pick up that area of contribution

Edited by natesroom, 19 March 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#38 Calabar

Calabar

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Oh, you don't need to be an LDD superuser!
You only need to dedicate a bit of your time on the forum to update the index and enforce the rules. :wink:

#39 natesroom

natesroom

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

hmm, okay then i would need a little more guidance on how to do that effectively and some other stuff

#40 Calabar

Calabar

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Perfect, you simply have to ask, we will tell you what you need.

At the moment we should:
- define rules (we could start from the ones you posted above and work modifying that post)
- create a new topic with an adequate title (such as "Lego Suggested Sets Alternatives made with LDD", or maybe something better)
- reserve some posts for rules, index, etc...
- ask some user that posted here to re-post their entries in the new topic

#41 Palathadric

Palathadric

• Makes other members' internet speeds seem ridiculously fast

Member: 19379

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I just don't know how many people would contribute. :look:
They that love God will never meet for the last time.
This life isn't the end. We will meet again.
Posted Image     Posted Image     Posted Image
Brickshelf Account
See my work in the Official Lego sets made in LDraw topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users