Do you think Lego will make a LOTR Chess Set?

13 replies to this topic

#1 sgtbernalcl25

sgtbernalcl25

Member: 32777

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hey guys has this been speculated at all? What would be the best two general armies involved in this set? Gondor Soldiers/Orcs..... Rohan Soldiers/Uruk hai... Elves/Orcs??

I personally want some awesome Elves from Helms Deep battle.... with helms and ear peices.... with some Uruk hai's...  but thats just me..

Edited by WhiteFang, 28 November 2012 - 03:05 AM.
Update the topic title for greater clarity

#2 Brickington

Brickington

• It's Tuesday somewhere, right?

Member: 28288

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

TLG doesn't make licensed theme chess sets, do they?

Posted Image

~Lord Brickington of Avalonia~

My Flickr | Guilds of Historica | Sir Brickington | My Brickshelf

#3 SirBlake

SirBlake

Member: 28826

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Awwww, man. You got me all excited. Has there ever been a licensed chess set?

#4 Cutcobra

Cutcobra

Member: 33298

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostSirBlake, on 28 November 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

Awwww, man. You got me all excited. Has there ever been a licensed chess set?

Don't know about licensed themes, but the only lego chess I've seen was that Kingdoms one.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

John 'Heckz' Brutenhal The Ghost Buster, The Super Sleuth and The School Inspector in Sandy's Heroica RPG. Hero Stats
Died as Eris on Day 2 as a loyal member of Heroica in Cruel Angel's Thesis - Downfall of Heroes

#5 Brickington

Brickington

• It's Tuesday somewhere, right?

Member: 28288

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Well there has been a Kingdoms chess set, a Knights Kingdom II chess set, and Castle chess set, and I looked and couldn't find a licensed one:/. Also there has been a Pirates chess set, but that's all I found.

Posted Image

~Lord Brickington of Avalonia~

My Flickr | Guilds of Historica | Sir Brickington | My Brickshelf

#6 Blakstone

Blakstone

Member: 32914

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

I bought the Viking Chess Set off of eBay last month. I have not heard of a licensed chess set and I believe that is due to the license. LEGO has the construction toy license, not the action figure or chess set license. There has to be a substantial amount of building to go with the sets to justify the license. Hence, all the polybags and the Star Wars advent calendar have stuff to build.

#7 DarthPotato

DarthPotato

Member: 30062

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

I thought that they were making an actual LOTR chess set when I first read the title of this thread. :blush: It'd be awesome if they did make a chess set, but for some reason I don't really see them doing so. If they did though, I don't think it would be an army builder. It would probably have main characters like Gandalf and Frodo instead of armies of elves or uruk-hai.

#8 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

I have change the topic title to reflect greater clarity in this discussion as the original topic title is misleading and suggestive that there will be a LOTR chess set.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#9 Cutcobra

Cutcobra

Member: 33298

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

Though I really want a Lego LOTR chess set (maybe elves as pawns :) ), I don't think lego will make one.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

John 'Heckz' Brutenhal The Ghost Buster, The Super Sleuth and The School Inspector in Sandy's Heroica RPG. Hero Stats
Died as Eris on Day 2 as a loyal member of Heroica in Cruel Angel's Thesis - Downfall of Heroes

#10 Blakstone

Blakstone

Member: 32914

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

I doubt such a set will be built, but if they do, I think Aragorn would be the Free Peoples King and Arwen the queen. Gandalf and Boromir would be a Bishop, Merry and Pippen would be Knights, Frodo and Sam would be Rooks. The pawns would alternate between Gondor and Rohan soldiers.

Sarumon or the Mouth of Sauron would be the King for the Forces of Evil. Wormtongue would be a Bishop and Golum a Knight. The pawns would alternate between Uruk Hai and Orcs.

#11 clouette

clouette

• Singaporian Santa

Member: 14543

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostBlakstone, on 28 November 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

I doubt such a set will be built, but if they do, I think Aragorn would be the Free Peoples King and Arwen the queen. Gandalf and Boromir would be a Bishop, Merry and Pippen would be Knights, Frodo and Sam would be Rooks. The pawns would alternate between Gondor and Rohan soldiers.

Sarumon or the Mouth of Sauron would be the King for the Forces of Evil. Wormtongue would be a Bishop and Golum a Knight. The pawns would alternate between Uruk Hai and Orcs.

You should MOC one and show us!
A Classic Castle & Pirates fan

#12 Deathleech

Deathleech

Member: 29067

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostBlakstone, on 28 November 2012 - 02:59 AM, said:

I have not heard of a licensed chess set and I believe that is due to the license. LEGO has the construction toy license, not the action figure or chess set license. There has to be a substantial amount of building to go with the sets to justify the license. Hence, all the polybags and the Star Wars advent calendar have stuff to build.

This pretty much nails it on the head.  I am not exactly sure how a game license would work, but I know Lego can't offer strictly minifigure packs without some building pieces.  Just minifigures would be considered an action figure toy and Lego only has the rights for the construction license.

View Postclouette, on 28 November 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

You should MOC one and show us!

Someone made a pretty good one several weeks ago.  Personally I would LOVE to see a LotR/Hobbit chess set, no matter how unlikely it may be.  It would be a great way to army build and also get the entire Fellowship without having to buy all the other sets (another reason Lego will prolly never make one besides the licensing issues).  I think the most likely choices if a dream LotR set were ever made are as follows:

Sauron and Saruman as the King/Queen for the dark side
Lurtz/Womrtongue as the Bishops
Nazgul on horses as Knights
Orthanc and Barad-dûr as the Rooks
Mordor Orcs as the Pawns

Aragorn and Gandalf as the King/Queen for the light side
Frodo and Sam as the Bishops
Gimli and Legolas as the Knights
Treebeard and another Ent with Pippin and Merry on their shoulders as the Rooks (GREAT idea other guy use in his chess MOC)
Gondor Soldiers as the Pawns

#13 Hawkman

Hawkman

Member: 28502

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostBlakstone, on 28 November 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

I would go with:

Forces of Good: Aragorn (King), Arwen (Queen), Gimli and Legolas (Knights), Gandalf and Elrond (Bishops), Boromir and Faramir (Rooks), and Gondor and Rohan soldiers (Pawns)

Forces of Evil: Sauron (King), Witch King (Queen), Lurtz and Gothmog (Knights), Saruman and Wormtongue (Bishops), Ringwraiths (Rooks), and Uruk-Hai and Mordor Orcs (Pawns)
I used to be a Lego Maniac, then I took a 1x4 brick in the knee.

#14 Lynx

Lynx

Member: 25493

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostHawkman, on 28 November 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

I would go with:

Forces of Good: Aragorn (King), Arwen (Queen), Gimli and Legolas (Knights), Gandalf and Elrond (Bishops), Boromir and Faramir (Rooks), and Gondor and Rohan soldiers (Pawns)

Forces of Evil: Sauron (King), Witch King (Queen), Lurtz and Gothmog (Knights), Saruman and Wormtongue (Bishops), Ringwraiths (Rooks), and Uruk-Hai and Mordor Orcs (Pawns)

Excellent choices. I'd like to include a representative of Rohan (either King Theoden or Eomer) which would have to come at the expense of one of Denethor's sons or Elrond.
Please take two minutes to help me fulfilling a childhood dream:
Support "The Forbidden Pool" on CUUSOO

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users