Greetings from just across the dutch border...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

Hello everybody!
I am new (started November last year) at this forum, but as recently as today i realized this thread so i decided to tell you something about me and my way (back) to Lego.

It all began in 1969 in Germany on a nice sunday morning with some new baby noise... *sing*
Wait - i think iīll better skip the following years and start again at the more interesting years:

My older brother and i used to have some Lego bricks before 1978 (some with this ugly bigger figures like the set 200 and a blue Lego railway with the "powerline" in the middle of the tracks - mainly owned by my brother) but it really started, when Lego had the great idea to give us the classic space design.
Fortunatley my parents went to Cologne on Christmas shopping that year, where they were able to buy one of the last 920, 926 and 928 sets. I finally got one from my parents and the other sets from my grandparents. What a Christmas that year! :'-)
I continued to play with Lego (esp. space but also some unavoidable city (firemen) sets) within the age of around 17, very proud to call the whole space sets from 1978-1984 my own! *sweet*  *sweet*  *sweet*

Than there were the dark ages...
*vader*
I sold some of the bigger space sets to my younger cousin (e.g. 928 and 6980).
What a shame! (I am still mad about myself that i sold the Galaxy Commander, the best space set ever!! :-| )
[*vader*/off]

... that lasted till 2002, when it was Christmas time again. Now my wife and i were looking for some toys for my 4 year old son. We had to choose either Playmobil or Lego. Well - we chose right!
My son got the cargo train and other stuff from the train program mostly bought at ebayīs.
This was the time i chose to do something with Lego again. Unfortunately Lego didnīt have very convincing city sets, so i had to go for ebay again. The first sets all went to my sons collection, but then i saw mindstorms and other electric sets like the 8485 Technic Control Center.

Some day i wanted to make a listing of all my lego parts. The idea was, that i wanted to know if a certain brick was needed for mocīs that i have that brick (in the right colour...)
Browsing the internet i came to Brickset.com and peeron.com. With a little inspiration a started to make a Word-based listing containing pics, number, colour and amount. A big bunch of work but now i know that my son and me are proud owners of about 20.000 bricks. X-D
If i was asked what my favourite Lego theme would be, i would have some problems. I like the Star Wars theme a lot (by the way as can be seen from my avatar i would nearly die to see some Star Trek Lego sets in the future), but i also have classic space, railways, ships (like the older coast patrol), technic, the Black Seas Barracuda and a lot city sets. So there is no "red-line" in all the sets. I mostly buy sets i like regardless what theme they belong to... No Bionicles and that sort of "Lego", though! >:-)

My last moc was the german Transrapid (a maglev train) i build on monorail tracks, inspired by this brickshelf finding -> Posted Image.
It mainly looks like the maglev shown, just some details are changed.

For the last two years i knew an employee at Cologne`s Lego shop. They have a 50% discount twice a year, so i bought things there, of course. Unfortunately my acquaintance went to South Africa for a while... :'-(

And that right at the moment where Lego is starting a great new work on the new city design! I especially love the new 6 stud wide cars.
So my most wanted sets for 2007 are 7990 cement mixer and 7991 garbage truck. And finally i will have to go for at least one of the new 4954 Creator House Sets. Then my fireengine and ambulance will make sense at last.
Thatīs for now. I am really looking forward to being a part of this forum. Till today i already had a great time here and i am excited about the future!  *sweet*
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image
New and very cool Posted Image: LEGO Physics (by kleinraum42)! Posted Image (Click on the photo and vote!)

#2 DoubleT

DoubleT

• The Joke Hunter

Member: 3

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

Welcome, i sure you enjoy it here

But lookout for the danish Admin ok?  ;-)
DoubleT, Co-Creator of EuroBricks.com & BrickHorizon.com

A Joker I Am

#3 CopMike

CopMike

• All your baseplate are belong to us

Member: 148

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hi Holodec and a big welcome!!!

Nice introduction  *y*  - one of the longest Iīve seen X-D!

You came back from the Dark ages the same way I did - trough the kids! Then after a while you have your own collection :-D - itīs a classic!

Enjoy your stay and Iīm for sure looking forward to wellwritten long posts on various LEGO-themes ;-).

copmike

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#4 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

Welcome!  It's always good when a member makes a nice long introduction, makes it really easy to get to know you.  I see you said you've been here for a bit, well I hope you're enjoying this place  :-P

#5 Chuck

Chuck

Member: 291

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

Welcome to eurobricks, Holodoc. I'm sure you will enjoy it here very much  :-)

-l2k-

#6 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hello Holodoc! Welcome! That was a nice introduction you had. I enjoyed reading it. :-)
I'm sure you'll make a good addition to the forum.
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#7 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Welcome!

Posted Image

Live long and prosper!  *y*

#8 Holodoc

Holodoc

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

View PostAsuka, on Jan 14 2007, 02:50 PM, said:

Welcome!

Posted Image

Live long and prosper!  *y*

Hey Asuka!

Thatīs a real nice one!  :'-)

- Sticks and stones can't break my bones, so you can imagine how I feel about being called names.
The holographic Doctor to Seska

@ all : Thank you so much for your warm welcome here.
What i forgot to mention: My second leisure time pursuit is my computer. The game i am currently playing is - *flourish*: LEGO STAR WARS - The Original Trilogy!
A great game by the way - if anyone of you hasnīt played it yet and is only somewhat into in computer playing, go buy it! Itīs tons of fun! *sweet*
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image
New and very cool Posted Image: LEGO Physics (by kleinraum42)! Posted Image (Click on the photo and vote!)

#9 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:35 PM

View PostHolodoc, on Jan 14 2007, 08:21 PM, said:

Hey Asuka!
Thatīs a real nice one!  :'-)
Itīs beautiful but just a find.... with an unknown origin....  8-|

#10 Holodoc

Holodoc

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:32 AM

View PostAsuka, on Jan 15 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

Itīs beautiful but just a find.... with an unknown origin....  8-|
Look what i found browsing the internet!
Star Trek Lego Trailer
Unfortunately itīs a german site :-P, but if you follow the third link, you will get to the homepage of the creators (www.startrek-lego.de.vu).
Klicking on "Enter site" and "Film" will show you the links for two little movies. They are worth it. One is the trailer itself, the other one is a "making of".

If any of you needs a translation of the written background or the things said in the movies, let me know!

... and if Kikuichimonji reads this here: You must be the one closest to my home destination! Groeten naar Nederland! Iīm only 10 km away from you! X-D

#11 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:10 AM

View PostHolodoc, on Jan 17 2007, 12:32 AM, said:

Look what i found browsing the internet!
If any of you needs a translation of the written background or the things said in the movies, let me know!
That was a very clever (and lucky, I guess) find of yours, thank you for sharing this brilliant link!
It looks like a cool and interesting production, congrats to that Brickboard-Team....  *y*
And thank you for your kind offer, aber ich denke, ich persönlich werde wohl keine Übersetzung benötigen....  ;-)

#12 Holodoc

Holodoc

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:34 AM

View PostAsuka, on Jan 17 2007, 02:10 AM, said:

aber ich denke, ich persönlich werde wohl keine Übersetzung benötigen....  ;-)
:-|  ->  X-D Then i could translate it into dutch if you want to... ;-)

#13 ghoulrealm

ghoulrealm

Member: 825

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

Welcome, Holodoc.  It's good to see another StarTrek fan here.
I was going to say it was a coencidence that I was playing a Voyager episode while I browse this topic,  except I'm almost always playing some Star Trek episode or movie.

#14 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

View PostDoubleT, on Jan 13 2007, 08:59 PM, said:

Welcome, i sure you enjoy it here

But lookout for the danish Admin ok?  ;-)

Holodoc? ahh excellent because our danish admin needs looking at X-D  ;-)

Welcome to EB, hope you enjoy yourself here.

#15 Holodoc

Holodoc

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Consultation hours only with valid insurance card... :-P
See you in sickbay then!
Posted Image

#16 Norro

Norro

• Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Welcome! Peeron.com is a really handy way to sort/count your parts. And if you know the sets are complete you can just enter a set number to add all its parts to your collection list...

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

#17 Holodoc

Holodoc

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

View PostNorro, on Jan 17 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

Welcome! Peeron.com is a really handy way to sort/count your parts. And if you know the sets are complete you can just enter a set number to add all its parts to your collection list...
Unfortunately many bricks esp. from the good-old-space sets got lost during my dark ages.
So i had to count/list them manually. :-(

By the way, does anyone know, if there is a way at peeron.com or brickset.com to show other people your listing of sets?

#18 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

View PostHolodoc, on Jan 17 2007, 09:09 PM, said:

By the way, does anyone know, if there is a way at peeron.com or brickset.com to show other people your listing of sets?
LUGNET offers such a "service". You have to register, though. I think it's free but they ask for a small donation, the amount you can choose yourself (last I know). Here's my list for example (not complete, a few small sets are still missing) :-)

#19 Serengeti

Serengeti

Member: 1040

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 17 2007, 09:25 PM, said:

LUGNET offers such a "service". You have to register, though. I think it's free but they ask for a small donation, the amount you can choose yourself (last I know). Here's my list for example (not complete, a few small sets are still missing) :-)

You have huge collection Hobbes! U have it all made or some place to display it? Any photos? Lots of trains for some reason  :-D Lucky!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MinifigTimes.com    Leaving no brick unturned in the search for scandals

#20 Holodoc

Holodoc

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:59 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 17 2007, 10:25 PM, said:

LUGNET offers such a "service". You have to register, though. I think it's free but they ask for a small donation, the amount you can choose yourself (last I know).
I looked for that page. Unfortunately you will have to pay at least 10 $ to get registeres but, of course, you can pay more...
Thatīs too much IMO just to make a listing of sets. :-/
I could take a photo of everything and load it up to brickshelf, but that would need time as not all of my sets are currently buildt. Iīll see...

And i agree: Nice collection, hobbes! Even more train-stuff than i have 8-°

#21 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:37 AM

View PostCalvin, on Jan 17 2007, 10:36 PM, said:

You have huge collection Hobbes! U have it all made or some place to display it? Any photos? Lots of trains for some reason  :-D Lucky!

View PostHolodoc, on Jan 17 2007, 10:59 PM, said:

And i agree: Nice collection, hobbes! Even more train-stuff than i have 8-°

Thanks. The sets weren't all bought new, though. Many (especially the older ones) I bought of ebay or bricklink over the past two years. Most of the time in good to very good condition. It takes time to wait for the right auction and sometimes I wanted stuff really bad, but it was worth the wait *sweet*

Here's how it "evolved" ;-)

Here's a pic of my WIP display a couple of months ago. I have two more shelfs on the wall now and many still MISB sets. The layout hasn't much improved, though, I'm afraid... well, the tracks run differently now, but the rest is still a mess, even more than on the pic :-$

And yes, I love trains. My dad worked for the Austrian Railways and I grew up across my hometown's train station, which still is an important "hub" for trains going to/coming from Germany, Italy and Slovenia, so it's not just a small one. Guess that kinda "stuck" with me ;-)

#22 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

View PostHolodoc, on Jan 17 2007, 07:53 PM, said:

Consultation hours only with valid insurance card... :-P
See you in sickbay then!
Posted Image

Excellent ill bring our ill danish viking Double T in this afternoon...... *vader*

#23 Norro

Norro

• Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

View PostHolodoc, on Jan 17 2007, 09:09 PM, said:

Unfortunately many bricks esp. from the good-old-space sets got lost during my dark ages.
So i had to count/list them manually. :-(
You can add individual pieces (once counted ; ) to a peeron list.

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

#24 Serengeti

Serengeti

Member: 1040

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 18 2007, 08:37 AM, said:

Thanks. The sets weren't all bought new, though. Many (especially the older ones) I bought of ebay or bricklink over the past two years. Most of the time in good to very good condition. It takes time to wait for the right auction and sometimes I wanted stuff really bad, but it was worth the wait *sweet*

Here's how it "evolved" ;-)

Here's a pic of my WIP display a couple of months ago. I have two more shelfs on the wall now and many still MISB sets. The layout hasn't much improved, though, I'm afraid... well, the tracks run differently now, but the rest is still a mess, even more than on the pic :-$

And yes, I love trains. My dad worked for the Austrian Railways and I grew up across my hometown's train station, which still is an important "hub" for trains going to/coming from Germany, Italy and Slovenia, so it's not just a small one. Guess that kinda "stuck" with me ;-)

Yes, over the years I think trains are the best subtheme in Town because they are most realistic and simply best designed sets. You have loads of trains, some great classic ones!

Nice story of your layout. I can imagine the difficulty of railway lines on a table but I guess someday you will have a bigger table and it'll be easier. Lego on tables is best though, especially for your back   :-)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MinifigTimes.com    Leaving no brick unturned in the search for scandals

#25 Holodoc

Holodoc

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:04 PM

View PostCalvin, on Jan 18 2007, 11:34 PM, said:

Lego on tables is best though, especially for your back   :-)
How do I get my layout on a table?
We (my son and me) prefer the floor like Hobbes does (thank you for details of your development!).
look here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users