New eight tooth gear ?

9 replies to this topic

#1 AndyCW

AndyCW

Member: 16308

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Does anybody know if the new 8t gear has a different part number? Could we call Lego and get a bag of them?  I managed to do this with the portal hubs from the Unimog long before the set was available.  I have not seen this part on Bricklink yet.

I am tired of watching my 8t gears died miserable deaths in the portal hubs.  Sometimes the corners of the teeth round off when the gear slides into the recesses of the adjoining beams.  This new version looks like this will no longer be a problem.  It also looks as though each individual tooth will be stronger due to the increased mass.

Posted Image
My last project worth sharing http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=76395
I am frequently inspired by this TV show that is on weekend mornings here in Texas. http://www.powerbloc.../shows/?show=XT

#2 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Member: 7868

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

This Eurobricks review of the upcoming 42011 Race Car set showed the Lego Element ID for the 8z gear -- it's 6012451:

Posted Image

You can try telephoning Lego Customer Service to access the "Lego Direct" service for ordering this part.

#3 Conchas

Conchas

Member: 1449

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Also it looks an image of the new part was already listed at the Customer Service replacement parts, for some time.
FCorreia

LEGO Fan: A lifelong experience - Play Well (Leg Godt)

Posted Image
       Posted Image

#4 Splat

Splat

Member: 12710

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Not much more to add than what DLuders and Conchas mentioned above, except that a larger version of the parts page can be seen here: http://www.brickshel...ace-Car/027.jpg
www.splat-design.com     Posted Image YouTube     Posted Image Flickr     Posted Image Brickshelf     Posted Image Brickset     Posted Image Rebrickable     Posted Image Eurobricks

#5 AndyCW

AndyCW

Member: 16308

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

Thank you all for being more observant than I am.  I'll see if I can get a bag of the newer style gear.
My last project worth sharing http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=76395
I am frequently inspired by this TV show that is on weekend mornings here in Texas. http://www.powerbloc.../shows/?show=XT

#6 Burf2000

Burf2000

Member: 6615

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

My new project uses the old type under a lot of force, I cant wait to get hold of 16+ of these!

#7 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

Member: 7347

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Can anyone owning this part test how it behaves on top of a technic plate 2 x 4, 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 using a vertical axle? I'd like to know if it rotates smoothly.

#8 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can anyone owning this part test how it behaves on top of a technic plate 2 x 4, 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 using a vertical axle? I'd like to know if it rotates smoothly.

From the picture, I don't think so. That was the main point of the grooved shape of the old gear. It was the only bush-like piece you could do that with and was occasionally used in place of regular or half bushes in that situation.

However, I think the new gear is still better overall. Apart from being fragile, the old gear tends to shift around any axle it's placed on (for the same reason that it can rotate inside plates) and make it fall out of alignment with other gears.

#9 Splat

Splat

Member: 12710

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

I don't have any 2 x 4, 2 x 6, or 2 x 8 Technic plates with me, but I do have a 2 x 4 Brick.  With the wider teeth, the new 8 tooth gear cannot sit in the middle of four studs at all.  If you're happy for the gear to sit above the studs (like most other gears would), then it should spin smoothly, but further testing may be required.
www.splat-design.com     Posted Image YouTube     Posted Image Flickr     Posted Image Brickshelf     Posted Image Brickset     Posted Image Rebrickable     Posted Image Eurobricks

#10 KopMaister

KopMaister

Member: 22434

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

maybe they are redesigned to go better with steeringracks and the new portal hubs ?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users