On a scale 1 to 5  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

approvedgold_v2_62.png

8200675041_f6677c91e3_o.jpg

When I first got news of this figure, I knew I had to own one. What Tolkien fan in their right mind would pass up a Last Alliance Elrond minifigure? However, it was a preorder bonus so I had to dish out a fair amount for him figure. Keep reading for my 25th review special!

Set Information:

Name: Elrond

Set Number: 5000202

Pieces: 6

Price: Preorder Bonus

Ages: 6+

Minifigs: 1

Theme: Lord of the Rings

Year of Release: 2012

Bricklink

Brickset

Flickr Set

Baggy:

8200675389_ba0c420905_o.jpg

The front of the bag has an action pose of Elrond over what could be actual movie footage. It's to small to tell. Then we have the Lord of the Rings banner, Saurons middle finger with the ring on it.

8201768772_79fb6eef76_o.jpg

Flipping the bag over, we have the usual safety spiel. However, there is no clear line where the color print didn't go, so we can't see the contents of the bag.

8201768492_423d69b3a8_o.jpg

The baggy is the exact same size as the Darth Maul promo polybag, which is slightly smaller than a normal polybag.

Contents:

8200675545_70f0cdd86d_o.jpg

There are only six parts in the bag, and no extras, but I'm already drooling over that sword! :wub:

Minifigure:

8200675237_b9bb519979_o.jpg

So, here he is, out of the bag, and in his full glory. He does look good doesn't he? I have no complaints what-so-ever about him, but let's go a bit more in-depth.

8201768652_1ac2bbdd73_o.jpg

Starting with a straight on shot, the first thing that jumps out at me are the colors. We have gold, a soft green, and a darker blue. They all work together perfectly here, capturing the essence of the costume. LEGO did an excellent job making the design simple but still keeping that detail.

8201768362_54e7b5b926_o.jpg

He has the same hair as Legolas and Haldir, but in dark brown. Notice he has a short cape rather than the long one featured on the bag. I'm still unsure as to why this happened, but I'll be emailing LEGO to see if I can get a long one.

8200675133_6d7609dee2_o.jpg

The armor continues on the back, even though we don't see it in the movie, I'm sure it looked something like this.

8201768222_b2102a5d88_o.jpg

A side-by-side comparison of the minifigure and Hugo Weaving who plays Elrond. There's no dirt on any of the minifigure's clothing, but I think that probably would have made it to busy. Other than that, it looks like a great recreation of him.

8200675459_46ee5d77f7_o.jpg

Lastly, a quick comparison of the three elf minifigures available. They all have drawn faces and serious expressions. Nothing funny about these three.

Conclusion

I'm very happy with this figure. LEGO did an excellent job adapting him into LEGO form, and I can't complain about the color scheme. That sword still has me drooling, so many opportunities to use it. If you're on the fence about Elrond, go get yourself one, he's worth it!

Ratings:

Playability: 9/10
He's as playable as any minifigure, I don't do much playing myself, and less so with this guy as I paid a nice sum for him.

Design: 10/10
The design is perfect, then again, there wasn't much LEGO had to do to this guy. But they adapted him nicely.

Price: 8/10
Like I said, I dished out $25 for this guy, which I think is pretty fair for how limited his release was.

Minifigure: 10/10
If LEGO, keeps making figures like this I think it's time I get a job.

Parts: 10/10
I just love that new sword mold. It looks like a perfect representation of the movie prop.

Total: 47/50 Not a perfect score, but I don't think minifigures really work on a scale like this.

Like this review? Want to learn how to make good reviews? Then join the Reviewers Academy!

logo-academy-v4.png

Nice review, 'Masked Builder'! :thumbup:

I really wish they sold this figure separately. He's really cool! Alas, I can make my version of him out of the Barrel Hobbit set figures, so all is good.

Thank you Masked Builder for this review. It is certainly nice to acquire this exclusive minifigure and I am looking forward to pick up mine and add it into my LOTR collection. This minifigure is definitely worth to be included in a proper LOTR collection as Elrond is also a significant character in the LOTR plot.

I like Elrond and thought Hugo Weaving represented the character perfectly. Still, I voted average for two reasons: The sword is not accurate, and I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for LEGO to design a one-handed curved elven blade for the theme. The main reason, however, is the short cape. It look almost comical on him, particularly when comparing to the image on the bag.

Good review, though! Hope you (and everybody else) will get a long cape. It would be a shame to have such a major flaw distract from an otherwise fantastic minifigure.

Thanks for the review! You had some really nice pictures and I liked the comparison with the other elves. I really wish I could have got this, but I guess there's always Ebay...

Thanks for the review! You had some really nice pictures and I liked the comparison with the other elves. I really wish I could have got this, but I guess there's always Ebay...

I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, it does look ridiculous short. I didn't get this one because I'm not a big video gamer these days... I might pick it up when it's bargain bin priced, but that makes Elrond priced way more than I'm willing to spend. I guess I will look on Ebay or bricklink myself. Sometimes someone on Amazon will have things like this.

While I really like that sword, I think the brickforge sword is about a million times more accurate.

I got it for free and had an extra dark blue cape. :wink: . Thanks for the review!

Elrond does look great. The printing is really nice and matches that of the Elrond in the LOTR movie. :sweet: It's also excellent to now have a new LEGO sword.

I cant stand this minifigure just for the short cape! I loved the images when I first saw them, and bought my ONLY Lego game just for this figure, but when I saw that he had the short cape it totally ruined it for me. I don't why it bugs me so much, maybe because I emailed LEGO twice and they gave me the run-a-round. Reading this review I ALMOST accepted the short cape, and started to get used to it, until I saw the comparision with Haldir. He just looks so ridiculous next to a normal figure with a normal cape...

Hopefully LEGO decides to fix this and send people the correct cape. If anyone does manage to get a long cape let me know! :wink:

I am very curious how TLG will explain the short cape in the end. As far as I know, there were different explanations from Customer Service so far.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll keep you posted on what happens with LEGO.

Thanks! That's where I got mine.

I am totally drooling over this minifigure, but I guess I am deterred by it's market price right now.

I'd planned on it being on the pricy side, so I guess I was read for it. :tongue:

Regardless of the price hike, I think in want one of these.

Great review MB, I love this fig.:wub:

Great minifig! :classic: I like that you've used a reference picture from the movie.

About the cape; It I think it's lego unworthy to just give a short one, because even the offcial desginer vid. shows us a large cape and because the amount of money I(and others) have paid to just get one. So I´m also looking forward to hear what Lego has to say.

I just got an E-mail today to let me know that my copy is being dispatched. :drool:

I can't wait, he is such a beautiful figure. The new blade mould is perfect, and the torso and leg printing is completely seamless. Thanks for this great review of a great figure, you're making me wish that the delivery would just hurry up and get it here! :tongue:

My game and this awesome fig should come next week. :D

I voted "outstanding" because I think it's one of the best LOTR/Hobbit figs.

As for short/long cape discussion I prefer shorter one.

I think the figure looks much better with no cape than with the short one. That being said, I gave the short cape to the new Bilbo figure from Riddles of the Ring. I think the dark blue contrasts with the red quite well.

Thanks again for the feedback guys!

I just got an E-mail today to let me know that my copy is being dispatched. :drool:

I can't wait, he is such a beautiful figure. The new blade mould is perfect, and the torso and leg printing is completely seamless. Thanks for this great review of a great figure, you're making me wish that the delivery would just hurry up and get it here! :tongue:

It's good to hear that someone else likes the sword mold! :sweet:

I think the figure is spot on. I love it. Although I think Haldir might be the best looking figure in the line-up. But with a long blue cape Elrond would be right up there. The colors do work pretty well together. I mostly don't like the dark green on the pants and then the dark blue on the torso.

I also emailed LEGO about the short cape and they told me it was never supposed to have a long cape. I think I am going to contact them again about it and see if by talking to someone else they can sort it out. It seems to be hit or miss with customer service for me. One moment they will say they can't sell any licensed pieces, then another time the person will be willing to sell it to me. Really odd.

Thanks for the review. I think it is brilliant and a great addition to the series. Hopefully we'll get other versions of Elrond with his crown in the future. You should also include the shot of Elrond with his mouth agape and the figure because that is frighteningly accurate.

Thanks again for the feedback guys!

It's good to hear that someone else likes the sword mold! :sweet:

The mold is nice, the color however is super incorrect for this scene, aswell as Elrond never used a sword like this.

The only excuse for this mold and color is if the mirkwood elves use them in the movie. The mirkwood elves seems to have golden weapons if Tauriel is any indication.

Nice review! I really have to get this fig, although I know I'll have to pay a fortune too.

Masked Builder, do you happen to have the long blue cape from the Castle theme? I'd really like to see how this guy looks with the proper cape!

Let mighty Google Translate speak:

Do not believe everything they tell you on various forums: The cape too short contained in polybag of Elrond is a cape hobbit and confirmed it is a mistake on the part of the manufacturer.

Klikk blog is echoed in and I just contact customer service who confirmed the thing.

LEGO request also to all those who were entitled to this cape too short to contact customer service for the longest cape originally planned for this minifig.

So, as far as I understand, the "Klickk blog" has a confirmation of TLG that it is a production error that Elrond has come with the short (hobbit) cape. It was supposed to have the long cape. Everyone who wants a long cape should contact Customer Service.

(I just saw that the English translation came much better out than the German, so I've just doubled the sentences... :shame:)

Now, this will be interesting as some people already have contacted TLG's Customer's Service without result. And I am curious what my figure will look like.

Edited by PsyKater