Do you guys buy multiple of the same sets for play?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

Member: 28477

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

The Uruk-Hai Army is a great set to have multiples of, specially since you can keep connecting them to Helm's Deep castle.

#27 Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop

Member: 32616

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

I've been known to buy multiple sets, but never really do it for resale value. I use extras to MOD (I suck at MOCing) the "official" sets.

#28 dr_spock

dr_spock

• BoBS IT Dept

Member: 8775

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

I've bought multiple of sets on sale or clearance like Star Wars battle packs or city small car for use in displays.    I do not buy multiple sets for re-sell.

#29 HawkLord

HawkLord

Member: 28502

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'm a collect as well as a hobbyist, so I tend to have a few extra sealed sets of ones I really like. Nothing outrageous - I don't have a closet of Death Stars, so I'm not waiting to flip sets. I'd say I might have about 7 or 8 sealed sets and none of them are the kinds that are going to skyrocket in value.

I keep them mostly for the extra parts and because they're my favorites.
I used to be a Lego Maniac, then I took a 1x4 brick in the knee.

#30 Jareth

Jareth

Member: 15964

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

I buy whatever is on clearance, and I always try and get multiples.
Many lego sets have a "unique" piece.  A piece that there is only one of in the set.  Sometimes it is the only peice of it's kind in the entire lego line.  If you get multiple sets, you are unlikelly to have the problem of "what do I do with this"

It also help with minifigs.  If you want a squad of toad people, you ahd better have about 4 or 5 alien conquest heads

That being said, I don't buy every lego set.  I also don't get all the ones I want.  Sometimes they sell out before going on clearance.
Build with what you have, not with what you want.

#31 LEGO Guy Bri

LEGO Guy Bri

Member: 13958

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

I love to have fleets of vehicles for my city. I think it adds a bit of realism to have 2 or 3 same dump trucks at a construction site or same kind of police car for a pursuit scene. Though, the bigger numbers of duplicates are held by my trains in quantity per individual set. Since LEGO isn't releasing individual rolling stock, and Ebay cars sell generally at premiums, I'd rather just buy a full set when I can. Love long trains!   :classic:
-I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't you tell me how to do what you told me to do... I know when to use finesse

#32 Chri5kng

Chri5kng

Member: 33137

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for all the reply guys.  I think I will stick to just getting one of each since money is real tight right now and there just too many cool sets to collect.

#33 Alfadas

Alfadas

Member: 43982

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

I sometimes buy the same set a few times, only for the minifigs.
You never have enough LEGO, you just can have too little room to display it.

Rigr Alfadas Mandredson, Frost Berserker, Eagle Eyed Danger, Shadow Rider, Watchmen, Gatekeeper, Protector and Farmer from the North!

Posted Image  Torald Waruelf in Heroica The RPG Currently playing in nothing

#34 Esurient

Esurient

• aka Romeo

Member: 17675

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

i will only buy multiples of the same set if I can make an army of minifigures out of it.
Now appearing as Elin Surefoot 397 years old Dwarven Cleric in Sandy's Cruel Angel's Thesis

#35 SheepEater

SheepEater

Member: 28524

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I own close to 270 sets (mostly technic, town, LOTR/Hobbit) and these are the only two sets I have bought twice...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Andy D

Andy D

• Older than Dirt

Member: 12805

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

I havebeen buying multiples of some sets (especilly modulars) so I can build one as is, and have another for MODding or parts. Some LOTR sets I bought multiples of just or parts and MODding. Oh, yeah, I bought 2 of the Haunted House just because I like it so much, I will probibly make it a modular. For me buying 2 copies is getting more common for sets I like.

Andy D
Less spending, more building is my plan for 2012!
Get organized and build more is my plan for 2013!
Just build more is my plan for 2014! (Good luck with that!)
Neatness counts!
Let's go sorting
It's only too late if you don't start now!
2013 was a good plan, back to that!

#37 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

• Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I buy multiples of a set if I need extra copies. I bought around 8 of the Escape from Dragon's Prison set, but I was army building so that was the cheapest way to build an army at that time. Plus, it helped they were all on clearance for about half off. If it is a set I really want/need pieces or figures from and it is on clearance I will buy extras. I don't think I've ever really bought an extra set at full value though. And most sets don't require me to buy extras anyway.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#38 Paul B

Paul B

Member: 8056

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

I have purchased a couple of multiples of Technic sets if I like both the "a" model and the "b" model.

Posted Image

Posted Image[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users