Sign in to follow this  
Hrw-Amen

MOC: Station with Goods Siding (WIP)

Today was one of those rare days that I got to play with some of my train. The wife was at work and one of my friends came around with his son who is three and a half and a big fan of Thomas the Tank engine and like. He is thinking of getting a train set of some description for his son beyond the push along wooden ones for toddlers and is wondering what to get. Obviously I pushed the benefits of LEGO. But aside from that it was a chance to get my buildings down and set up the station.

It is not often I get to do this (As I mentioned before I have issues with mobility.) as the buildings are stored up on top of one of our units and are hard for me to get down, not too mention scrabbling about on the floor. However it was a good time as I have been working on a goods siding as an add on to the station and although it is not completely finished the entrance is and the first couple of plates in. So we could try out a bit of point work. It was also the first time I got to run all four of my long green coaches in one train.

I am hoping this link works, the Brickshelf files are not yet live but the flickr ones are up.

Your station is beautiful and shows off your rake of green coaches perfectly. It's a pity that you don't have somewhere to setup your station and other buildings permanently so you don't have to go to so much effort to get everything out so you can play trains.

Thanks, yes I think he was pleased. He is a little shy still around people he does not know that well, But we did have a good time running the engines and wagons around and he had a go himself. I think he is just coming out of the phase where he likes to have contact with the train and push it about by hand so it was good that he not do this and used the controller.

I wish I had enough room to set this up and leave it but alas I do not. Maybe one day I will have a big house but not today. It is quite good though to see it all come together like that. There are a few things I need even for this, straight roads included to go down the side of those buildings being one, but gradually I am getting there.I think my friend was surprised by how heavy some of the buildings were, but then I took the roof off one so he could see how they are all detailed fully inside each room kitted out as it should be.

I took some photographs today of the station block as it is now. It is currently 80 studs wide by 96 studs long. I fell it needs another 32 studs long to correspond to the adjoining buildings. This will probably be in the form of an increase in platform length and also the addition of a crane on the goods siding, but that is all way in the future. I also have to build a 32X48 section on the other side of the road to the crossing which will raise the tracks a couple of studs just to let the normal ballasted track fit onto it as this is slightly raised.http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrw-amen/8669372602/in/set-72157632042497224/lightbox/

That's really nice, I hope to build something as nice as that some day. Stations are a big part of the fascination I have with trains. They're where the journey begins, right?

Post more photos if you've the chance!

Joe

I do really like the work that has gone into it and it is very very good. Only bad things i can say what i would do diffrent is platform color the black just dont look right to me and maybe the platforms being a bit wider.