Jump to content


TRAIN TECH Help, General Questions & Talk to the Staff

ASK HERE help discussion

297 replies to this topic

#126 Paddyb98

Paddyb98

    Posts: 49
    Joined: 03-November 12
    Member: 32801

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Can anybody tell me the length of a XL Motor? I need it to fit in a 4 stud wide space.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."- Mark Twain

#127 Electricsteam

Electricsteam

    Posts: 485
    Joined: 18-November 12
    Member: 33090
    Country: USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Can I make a post where I update reguarly with unusaly locomotive pictures to stir up some fantastic ideas for other members :laugh:
I'm not dead! I for the matter of fact appear to be very much alive!

#128 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

  • Loved Ghost Ranger


    Posts: 9642
    Joined: 15-January 05
    Member: 174

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostElectricsteam, on 18 November 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Can I make a post where I update reguarly with unusaly locomotive pictures to stir up some fantastic ideas for other members :laugh:

Go ahead and start one and I'll take a look.

#129 alainneke

alainneke

    Posts: 171
    Joined: 08-June 12
    Member: 29069
    Country: Belgium

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostPaddyb98, on 18 November 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Can anybody tell me the length of a XL Motor? I need it to fit in a 4 stud wide space.

The XL-motor is 5x5x6 studs (wxhxd), so you need more room...

Regards,

Alain

#130 Electricsteam

Electricsteam

    Posts: 485
    Joined: 18-November 12
    Member: 33090
    Country: USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostTheBrickster, on 19 November 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

Go ahead and start one and I'll take a look.

Ok I did and its call Electricsteam's Bag of Ideas

Link

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=76205
I'm not dead! I for the matter of fact appear to be very much alive!

#131 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

I want to power 10173 Holiday train. I have the battery box and motor but last time I powered my Toy Story Train, it was somewhat weak. My wife wants to know how do we get more power/torque in the train?

#132 Paddyb98

Paddyb98

    Posts: 49
    Joined: 03-November 12
    Member: 32801

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

I'm baaaaaack. How man tracks can a power with a single 9v regulator without a big drop in power?
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."- Mark Twain

#133 Hey Joe

Hey Joe

    Posts: 865
    Joined: 18-June 12
    Member: 29259
    Country: USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostSolscud007, on 20 November 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

I want to power 10173 Holiday train. I have the battery box and motor but last time I powered my Toy Story Train, it was somewhat weak. My wife wants to know how do we get more power/torque in the train?
Which motor and what type of batteries (normal or rechargeable)?
My family's collection on Brickset: http://www.brickset....?ownedBy=bjtpro

Check out my 1st review; 10250 Creator - Year of the Snake here

#134 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1556
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

View Postbjtpro, on 20 November 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

Which motor and what type of batteries (normal or rechargeable)?

Just the standard PF motor and the battery that uses 6xAAA

#135 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

  • Loved Ghost Ranger


    Posts: 9642
    Joined: 15-January 05
    Member: 174

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

All: in spite of my best efforts to utilize this topic for LEGO Train questions, most ignore the topic and post their questions in the main forum.  I'm honestly tired of moving/merging the questions (almost on a daily basis).  In addition, more discussion takes place in the stand-alone topics vs. the single Question Topic.

I'm going to unpin this topic and let everyone post their questions in the main Train Tech forum as stand-alone topics.

Does anyone have any heartburn?  Please share your thoughts.

#136 kyphur

kyphur

  • Going Postal with Maersk Madness!


    Posts: 572
    Joined: 09-June 10
    Member: 11374
    Country: US

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostTheBrickster, on 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

In addition, more discussion takes place in the stand-alone topics vs. the single Question Topic.

Does anyone have any heartburn?  Please share your thoughts.

Brickster, I think you're right about there being more discussion in the single topic threads and I'd guess that's why it has continued even with this "catch-all" thread. Further I think it's just easier to find the info if it's in threads versus all mixed together in one super thread where a question may initially be asked on page 3 and still get answers on page 12.

Maybe this thread could be replaced with an index thread that is locked and maintained by moderator(s) to give us the best of both worlds?

Also, it might be helpful to you as the Engineer running this long train to enlist a conductor or two to walk the isles punching tickets and keeping the carriages from descending into chaos...

Posted Image  Posted Image

Images are links

Here is my favorite BrickLink Store


#137 Steinkopf

Steinkopf

    Posts: 170
    Joined: 27-January 12
    Member: 25035
    Country: Australia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostTheBrickster, on 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

All: in spite of my best efforts to utilize this topic for LEGO Train questions, most ignore the topic and post their questions in the main forum.  I'm honestly tired of moving/merging the questions (almost on a daily basis).  In addition, more discussion takes place in the stand-alone topics vs. the single Question Topic.

I'm going to unpin this topic and let everyone post their questions in the main Train Tech forum as stand-alone topics.

Does anyone have any heartburn?  Please share your thoughts.


I can understand your frustration here as I think a central thread would be much more suited to this subject rather than members spreading them throughout the forum. Sure there is an issue at times with having to wade through a number of posts to get an answer but at least it's in a central location, as opposed to if the topics were posted in the main forum where you would have to wade through page upon page of general train topics to find the post you are after.

Maybe an alternative would be to have subsections to deal with specific systems, it could be broken up into 4.5v, 12v, 9v and IR + PF sections, it would make it easier for members to search for information on a particular system and hopefully encourage them to utilise it more often rather than posting in the main forum.

Edited by Steinkopf, 20 November 2012 - 10:21 PM.


#138 legoboy3998

legoboy3998

    Posts: 186
    Joined: 30-August 09
    Member: 7237
    Country: USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostSteinkopf, on 20 November 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

I can understand your frustration here as I think a central thread would be much more suited to this subject rather than members spreading them throughout the forum. Sure there is an issue at times with having to wade through a number of posts to get an answer but at least it's in a central location, as opposed to if the topics were posted in the main forum where you would have to wade through page upon page of general train topics to find the post you are after.

Maybe an alternative would be to have subsections to deal with specific systems, it could be broken up into 4.5v, 12v, 9v and IR + PF sections, it would make it easier for members to search for information on a particular system and hopefully encourage them to utilise it more often rather than posting in the main forum.

The LEGO Train MOC group on flickr has a similar theory.  They have a topic called "idea book," when you click on it there are several sub topics divided into groups.  Each group has several sub topics, this makes it easier to locate if there has already been a question asked similar to yours.

Doing something similar (if possible) would make it easier to locate info on a specific topic, versus paging through 6 pages for two or three posts about say Big Bens Wheels.

Another thing I'll add, that would reduce the need to page through topics or posts in a general topic.  Those posting questions can use the search function at the top of the page to see if there is any existing topic or posts pertaining to their question.

Sal
WFB, WI

#139 Hey Joe

Hey Joe

    Posts: 865
    Joined: 18-June 12
    Member: 29259
    Country: USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostSolscud007, on 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Just the standard PF motor and the battery that uses 6xAAA

Does the Toy Story train have an undue amount of friction? I don't know.

Maybe some of the wheels are gummed up, cat hair perhaps? Sorry I can't be of more help.
My family's collection on Brickset: http://www.brickset....?ownedBy=bjtpro

Check out my 1st review; 10250 Creator - Year of the Snake here

#140 Daedalus304

Daedalus304

    Posts: 212
    Joined: 07-October 10
    Member: 13646
    Country: USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostSolscud007, on 20 November 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

I want to power 10173 Holiday train. I have the battery box and motor but last time I powered my Toy Story Train, it was somewhat weak. My wife wants to know how do we get more power/torque in the train?

That depends on which wheels you're putting in the motor. I've done a lot of testing with large drivers on the PF Train motor and it reaches it's torque limit very quickly, and keeping it there causes it to heat up and switch off. With the small wheels its a good motor, but you have to remember that putting on the large ones essentially gears it up - you're trading strength for speed.

My GWR 5700 engine originally ran with the pfm/large driver setup and I tried it with my 4-4-0 as well, and both cases it was better to put the motor in a powered coach and push the engine.
Latest MOCs:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#141 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

  • Loved Ghost Ranger


    Posts: 9642
    Joined: 15-January 05
    Member: 174

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for weighing in guys.  I'll give this some more consideration but will no longer keep the topic pinned for now.

#142 Electricsteam

Electricsteam

    Posts: 485
    Joined: 18-November 12
    Member: 33090
    Country: USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostTheBrickster, on 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

All: in spite of my best efforts to utilize this topic for LEGO Train questions, most ignore the topic and post their questions in the main forum.  I'm honestly tired of moving/merging the questions (almost on a daily basis).  In addition, more discussion takes place in the stand-alone topics vs. the single Question Topic.

I'm going to unpin this topic and let everyone post their questions in the main Train Tech forum as stand-alone topics.

Does anyone have any heartburn?  Please share your thoughts.


Well this is sad :cry_sad:  I think if you imformed more people about this they would post here in stead. I would check this regularly on the few days I have been on the fourms.
I'm not dead! I for the matter of fact appear to be very much alive!

#143 peterab

peterab

  • Whacking witch hunter


    Posts: 1223
    Joined: 03-August 09
    Member: 6893
    Country: Australia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostTheBrickster, on 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

All: in spite of my best efforts to utilize this topic for LEGO Train questions, most ignore the topic and post their questions in the main forum.  I'm honestly tired of moving/merging the questions (almost on a daily basis).  In addition, more discussion takes place in the stand-alone topics vs. the single Question Topic.

I'm going to unpin this topic and let everyone post their questions in the main Train Tech forum as stand-alone topics.

Does anyone have any heartburn?  Please share your thoughts.

While I share your pain, I think this topic failed because it tried to change the natural behaviour of new forum members. Most people will wade in before getting an idea of how a group works. If it saves you moderating work you don't like, let it die.

#144 Hey Joe

Hey Joe

    Posts: 865
    Joined: 18-June 12
    Member: 29259
    Country: USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostTheBrickster, on 21 November 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Thanks for weighing in guys.  I'll give this some more consideration but will no longer keep the topic pinned for now.

I didn't understand the jist of your postings at first but now do.  Peterab's following post makes sense to me:

View Postpeterab, on 22 November 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

While I share your pain, I think this topic failed because it tried to change the natural behaviour of new forum members. Most people will wade in before getting an idea of how a group works. If it saves you moderating work you don't like, let it die.

Have fun, Joe
My family's collection on Brickset: http://www.brickset....?ownedBy=bjtpro

Check out my 1st review; 10250 Creator - Year of the Snake here

#145 Electricsteam

Electricsteam

    Posts: 485
    Joined: 18-November 12
    Member: 33090
    Country: USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

I want to try to set up a lego train convention a little closer to home any thuoghts to help me... Area : Richmond Virginia , Possible locations I can think of are : The science museum of virginia, My local church, Harry F Byrd middle

The biggest problem is I dont know how I would get one started and I was hopeing any Richmond area Train tech people could help me :laugh:
I'm not dead! I for the matter of fact appear to be very much alive!

#146 peterab

peterab

  • Whacking witch hunter


    Posts: 1223
    Joined: 03-August 09
    Member: 6893
    Country: Australia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostElectricsteam, on 30 November 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I want to try to set up a lego train convention a little closer to home any thuoghts to help me... Area : Richmond Virginia , Possible locations I can think of are : The science museum of virginia, My local church, Harry F Byrd middle

The biggest problem is I dont know how I would get one started and I was hopeing any Richmond area Train tech people could help me :laugh:

Your first hurdle is to find enough like minded people to build a display who are willing to spend a weekend running it. Our layout can take four or five hours to set up with 12 people. It's quite large but smaller layouts will take just about as long with fewer people. The more local people you have the more likely it is one of them will be able to suggest a venue.

You will also need access to some where you can plan and test build the layout before the show. This is very important if you haven't done a show before. All sorts of little problems can crop up particularly in collaborative builds that you won't find until you try and set up.

#147 zephyr1934

zephyr1934

    Posts: 875
    Joined: 19-July 09
    Member: 6737

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

View PostElectricsteam, on 30 November 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I want to try to set up a lego train convention a little closer to home any thuoghts to help me... Area : Richmond Virginia , Possible locations I can think of are : The science museum of virginia, My local church, Harry F Byrd middle

The biggest problem is I dont know how I would get one started and I was hopeing any Richmond area Train tech people could help me :laugh:


I would strongly suggest joining an existing club (perhaps at a bit of a drive) and see how they set up shows, etc.. Then once you have a feel for it, decide whether you want to take the lead on forming a club closer to home. If you do decide to, you can either slowly or rapidly build up the infrastructure you'd need to do a decent display (tables, road plates, ballasted track, detailing, a trailer, etc.) while still in your original club. I've been told that the seed idea for my club, COLTC, was formed this way and our members have since spun off two other groups in Ohio (proximity proximity proximity, both of these groups are about two hours drive from central Ohio, in opposite directions). It looks like there are at least two active clubs that are in or near your state: HARDLUG and WamaLTC. Heck, you might even find a few folks from your area in one of these groups and that could be your nucleating point.

#148 zephyr1934

zephyr1934

    Posts: 875
    Joined: 19-July 09
    Member: 6737

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

View PostTheBrickster, on 21 November 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Thanks for weighing in guys.  I'll give this some more consideration but will no longer keep the topic pinned for now.
Hey Brickster, did this topic generate posts on new topics on its own when it was pinned, or did most new topics come by way of you moving things in? If it did generate activity on its own, perhaps pinning it again but not policing the other topics could be a way to go (if someone wants to post to this general thread they can, and if they want to start their own, they can).

#149 Electricsteam

Electricsteam

    Posts: 485
    Joined: 18-November 12
    Member: 33090
    Country: USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I've been wondering.. On some topics it says Indexed By Moderator... What is that there for? :wacko:
I'm not dead! I for the matter of fact appear to be very much alive!

#150 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

  • Loved Ghost Ranger


    Posts: 9642
    Joined: 15-January 05
    Member: 174

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

View Postzephyr1934, on 02 December 2012 - 05:55 AM, said:

Hey Brickster, did this topic generate posts on new topics on its own when it was pinned, or did most new topics come by way of you moving things in?

I responded to this a few days ago but looks like the forum trouble removed the newer material.  I moved most of the topics to the pinned topic - rarely did anyone post to it.  It's funny that it's received more action as an unpinned topic, but most because of the discontinuation discussion.

View PostElectricsteam, on 05 December 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

I've been wondering.. On some topics it says Indexed By Moderator... What is that there for? :wacko:

Something new I just started in the last few months, but it means that I've added a thumbnail image of the MOC in the Train Tech MOC Index with a link to the topic.  Visit the MOC Index and it will make sense - just about all MOCs have been indexed in 2012.

EDIT: I don't usually index WIP MOCs and never index LDD MOCs.  If your title is ambiguous (meaning that it does not say MOC or it's unclear that the topic is about sharing a picture of the MOC - sometimes more to discuss a building technique), it may not get indexed.  If it is clearly a MOC and MOC is missing from the title, I will add "MOC:" to the title and index.  Oh, and I don't index MODs nor do I do windows. :wink:



Reply to this topic



  



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ASK HERE, help, discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users