Hoshi No Mizuumi- The Lake of Stars

Challenge V Kaliphlin

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Erynlasgalen

Erynlasgalen

Member: 14491

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

An old story once said, before the sands and dust took over the Kaliphlin lands, there were magnificent lakes that dotted the landscape. The largest one, Hoshi No Mizuumi, was home to a highly intelligent race of people who made their homes within the rocky islands that crisscrossed the lake. As their population grew, they built sturdy walkways over the lake to help carry their citizens from one island to the next.

The people of Hoshi No Mizuumi worshiped the stars and planets and devoted their lives to learning everything they could about them. They knew their home held great power, so philosophers, magicians, astrologers, and alchemists flocked to the area and filled the city with large libraries of information.

For reasons unknown to us and lost in time, their city was suddenly abandoned. Was it the creeping sands of the badlands, dwindling resources or something more sinister that drove them to disappear from their home they worked so hard to build?

The years have passed; the lakes have evaporated and turned to sand, and the mighty walkways of the ancient city has crumbled and decayed under the elements. Only a small portion of Hoshi No Mizuumi remains and this is one of the locations that the brave citizens of Kaliphlin have made their temporary home.

The city has long been looted and taken of its valuable treasures and gold, but the real wealth is still contained within the many scrolls and books left behind by its ancient citizens. With the help of Professor Tobias Felix Montiger III and the Monks of Gorou, the People of Kaliphlin hope the scrolls and writings will uncover the secrets of destroying Victor Revolword before it is too late.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for taking the time to look, more photos can be seen over on my Flickr stream here---> http://www.flickr.co...s/erynlasgalen/

Comments and critiques are always welcome!

Edited by Erynlasgalen, 09 November 2012 - 01:50 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Currently portraying Amelia Phantomhive in the Kingdom of Kaliphlin.

#2 Torgar

Torgar

• Raven Master, Zugal Collaborator

Member: 29361

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

Incredible! I like how aged this looks and the amount of activity going on, well done!

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image   Posted Image

My Flickr

#3 Niku

Niku

• Wants two initials

Member: 14912

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

And another nice build from you.
The stone work is great, having an entrance it adds a lot.
Good luck. :classic:

Posted Image

Spoiler

#4 Zach Mills

Zach Mills

Member: 26901

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

I didn't realize the people of Kaliphlin spoke Japanese!

Loving all the little details in here. They really bring the scene to life.

#5 Hyler Talliwell

Hyler Talliwell

• Master Sculpturer

Member: 25152

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

Very nice. The overall feel is great, and the architecture is extremely well done.

#6 Andy D

Andy D

• Older than Dirt

Member: 12805

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

This is an incredible build!  The overall feel is of a very old, massive structure.  I particularly like he rock work.

Andy D

Less spending, more building is my plan for 2012!
Get organized and build more is my plan for 2013!
Just build more is my plan for 2014! (Good luck with that!)
Neatness counts!

#7 Rast

Rast

Member: 30441

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

super sweet MOC. I i like the map men! great tent aswell.

#8 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

• Propping up Historica's freedom

Member: 27955

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I love the minifigs around the map, the tent also looks excellent! :thumbup:  Love the break in the bridge, it looks very realistic!  My only (slight) criticism would be with the water, the change of color almost seems too abrupt.  Maybe some more trans-blue would fix that?  Great job anyways, though I'm not a fan of sand green you've used it well!

Ageven Deraim, Lord of Auner, Representative of Qarkyr, Graduated Master of Petraea University, Vice Admiral of Kaliphlin Fleet

_Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image___Posted Image

--Check out the Guilds of Historica!--gid617--Flickr--The Brick Blogger--

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, and your house."

#9 Kayne

Kayne

Member: 23719

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Very cool Eryn!  The mountainside, the dilapidated bridge....all excellent.  The minifigures activity, placement and diversity really add to this too.  Mikel and you have really come out strong for Kaliphlin again!

Not sure if it will make a difference, but your tag reads Kaliphlin Challenge IV, but this is Challenge V

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)

#10 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Great work on capturing an ancient/ruined effect :thumbup: The landscaping is excellent too as are the figs going about daily life :classic:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentlefolk, in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#11 Erynlasgalen

Erynlasgalen

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys, glad you liked it!

View PostZach Mills, on 09 November 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

I didn't realize the people of Kaliphlin spoke Japanese!
It actually all came about because of the walkway, intially I didn't have anything over it, but the drop off from the top of the mountain to the walkway just threw everything off. I went through my inspiration file to see if I could come up with something, and was amazed how well the Torii gates translated over the to Kaliphlin color scheme. I just ran with it from there and a new Kaliphlin civilazation was born.

View PostKai NRG, on 09 November 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

My only (slight) criticism would be with the water, the change of color almost seems too abrupt.  Maybe some more trans-blue would fix that?  Great job anyways, though I'm not a fan of sand green you've used it well!
The water is actually the one part I of the whole thing I am not 100% happy with. I wanted to do trans clear over the top, but the tiles were way out of my budget. I tried trans blue tiles, trans round plates, and normal plates, and it turned out either too shiny, or too rough looking. One day I will find a solution for it!
The leaves and cheese are the new olive green that just came out, I intially tried using just the dark/regular green and it brought too much brightness to the mountain. I think the mix of the two worked well to give it a more aged look in the end.

View PostKayne, on 09 November 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Very cool Eryn!  The mountainside, the dilapidated bridge....all excellent.  The minifigures activity, placement and diversity really add to this too.  Mikel and you have really come out strong for Kaliphlin again!

Not sure if it will make a difference, but your tag reads Kaliphlin Challenge IV, but this is Challenge V

Doh! Thats what I get for rushing things! Thanks for catching it, I've got it changed over now :classic:

#12 monsinjor

monsinjor

Member: 30140

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

This looks very nice, the broken bridge instantly reminded me about the broken bridge/road in Dragon Age: Origins.
Great work :thumbup:

#13 Mike S

Mike S

Member: 26273

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

So many great details! The weathered bridge is awesome and I like how you included the newly dug graves. Also the tile roofed tent is a great design.

Come explore the lands of the Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 kabel

kabel

• lower case

Member: 6745

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

EG this is just so beautiful and I also love the story. I really think that most women on these here boards are just superb builders. Somehow their mocs always look so much more interesting than mocs done by guys. I don't know why, but you can always tell a woman's moc! So although I don't really like "friends" I sure hope it's getting more girls and women into building mocs!!
Steen Larsson
Carpenter
Royal Architect of Mitgardia and Vice Admiral of the Mitgardian fleet

Posted Image   Posted Image

My Brickshelf

My Flickr

Medieval Ships

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#15 Wedge09

Wedge09

• One-shot kill, one-shot kill, one-shot kill!

Member: 29763

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

Really nice MOC, good story too :thumbup: :thumbup:

My gallery on Flickr, My gallery on Brickshelf as WedgeNT, My (tiny) collection & don't forget to visit my new blog Life in a Brick

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alexander Vandangant, 99-year-old male Elf Hunter in Sandy's HeroicaRPG

and proud member of Avalonia

Wedge09, proud member of the Rebel Alliance in Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

Weyrdág, in Sandy's Cruel Angel’s Thesis ~ Downfall of Heroes

Come to ridiscover the Guilds of Historica

P.S: M¥ n4m3$ 1$ W3Ð9309

#16 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

This is stunning! Well done! So many details to look at and to take inspiration from!! :thumbup:

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#17 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

• No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness

Member: 4711

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Great MOC Eryn!  The bridge definitely has a ruined look, and I love the two toned cavern interior.  I also really like the withered palm tree and the canopy over the foodstuffs.  Good work!

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image

#18 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Beautiful detailing and presentation Erynlasqalen -  again!  The minifigs really add a sense of narrative here, I would like to know what is happening in all those discussions.  I gave a lot of thought to Torii as well, but I thought small ones would be too hard to photograph and a big one would be too dominant, you have done it very nicely here.  I like the colour use, you really have a gift for choosing a good palette.  For me the lake works well as a very placid one - my only critique is that I have never heard mizuumi (water-sea) used for a lake, as far as I know a more common usage would be hoshi-no-ko for a big lake or hoshi-ike for a small one  - but of course, we do things as we like in Kaliphlin!
:classic:
Duc LeStrange, Special Envoy of the Petraea General Trading Company, of the Kaliphlin Guild.  
We work for Peace and Prosperity through Commerce.
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Erynlasgalen

Erynlasgalen

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

View Postrobuko, on 20 November 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

my only critique is that I have never heard mizuumi (water-sea) used for a lake, as far as I know a more common usage would be hoshi-no-ko for a big lake or hoshi-ike for a small one  - but of course, we do things as we like in Kaliphlin!
:classic:

I'm going to have to blame the translation on Professor Tobias, he found a wonderful scroll in the cavern called "google translate", but the damage from the elements must have made the scroll illegible! The name does have a pretty ring to it though, LOL :laugh:

Thanks again for all the comments guys!

#20 Infernum

Infernum

• Fears his own beard

Member: 32912

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Wow! This build is simply fantastic! :classic:
Toa Infernum, Sir Infernum of Mitgardia, Royal Architect of Mitgardia
My MOCpages
http://mocpages.com/home.php/91392

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users