[MOC] Bowling, (WIP)

LDD MOC WIP

11 replies to this topic

#1 tomdobs55

tomdobs55

Member: 19685

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my latest (first) MOC....Bowling!

Posted Image

I was playing around with LDD for the first time today and whipped this up real quick.  Very simple and I plan to add to it.  I used SNOT for the lane itself, but I want to add a seating area.  I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how to transfer from the SNOT lane to a regular studs on top seating area.  Comments, criticism, questions are all welcome.
My Collection
My Brickshelf

-Tom
Medford, MA

#2 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Interesting w-i-p....the fun part will be the ball, good luck and LDD On 'tomdobs55' ! :wink:

#3 tomdobs55

tomdobs55

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

It's hard to see but I used a 1x1 round plate for the ball.  I used to be a mechanic at a bowling alley so I want to continue with a ball return, ball racks and some seating.  I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, I'm just racking my brain to figure out a way to transfer from the lane itself to the seating area and scoring.  Who knows maybe I'll get really ambitious and make a whole bowling alley with a bar and restaurant.
My Collection
My Brickshelf

-Tom
Medford, MA

#4 MrDarthLord

MrDarthLord

Member: 7951

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

I don't know how it's called in english but I love the "sides".

About you Snot issue, isn't there a small gap betwen the playing area and the seats in real bowlings ?
If yes, have the entire playing area SNOT and use this brick : Posted Image

(May be that's not what you're looking for)

#5 tomdobs55

tomdobs55

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostMrDarthLord, on 06 November 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

I don't know how it's called in english but I love the "sides".

About you Snot issue, isn't there a small gap betwen the playing area and the seats in real bowlings ?
If yes, have the entire playing area SNOT and use this brick : Posted Image

(May be that's not what you're looking for)

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the gutters, just some 1x1 cheese slopes, but it looks very authentic.  

About the snot stuff, If I use the brick above it creates an offset like this:  Offset.PNG and the "headlight" brick without the ridge is too high for any plates i try to put on to match up with bricks underneath.   Attached File  bowling3.bmp   51.7K   37 downloads  Sorry it's a little hard to see but the brick next to the plate won't line up correctly.
My Collection
My Brickshelf

-Tom
Medford, MA

#6 Phoxtane

Phoxtane

Member: 28870

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

Maybe a zamor sphere would represent bowling balls better? If memory serves, they came in neon sort-of-trans-green, silvered, gold, and black, as well as balls of the same size coming in the NXT 2.0 sets in red, yellow, green, and blue.
Why fix it when you can INNOVATE it?

#7 F0NIX

F0NIX

Member: 3111

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

View Posttomdobs55, on 06 November 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how to transfer from the SNOT lane to a regular studs on top seating area.  
What about a solution like this?
Posted Image

The Grey and white bricks are your bowling lane. The Brown brick is a headlightbrick, the rest is plates and tiles as you probably can see of the image. This means that you first have to build a brick down first to be able to get that floor behind the lane flush with the lane itself. In the picture it looks like the red tile is not flush with the side of the grey brick, but its just that I forgot to press the bricks good toghether before I took the photo so it is a little off

Edited by F0NIX, 07 November 2012 - 08:56 AM.

Noting is impossible, the impossible only take longer time.

#8 MrDarthLord

MrDarthLord

Member: 7951

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

I thought about using the part in another way, in the continuation of your SNOT. I'm sorry my english is to weak to explain better what I mean.

Edit : F0NIX got it pretty much like I tought.

Edited by MrDarthLord, 07 November 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#9 Wedge09

Wedge09

Member: 29763

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Very interessant WIP :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have you intention to make this as a modular?? :wink:

My gallery on Flickr, My gallery on Brickshelf as WedgeNT, My (tiny) collection & don't forget to visit my new blog Life in a Brick

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alexander Vandangant, 99-year-old male Elf Hunter in Sandy's HeroicaRPG

and proud member of Avalonia

Wedge09, proud member of the Rebel Alliance in Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

Weyrdág, in Sandy's Cruel Angel’s Thesis ~ Downfall of Heroes

Come to ridiscover the Guilds of Historica

P.S: M¥ n4m3$ 1$ W3Ð9309

#10 Kristel

Kristel

• Drunk, Nervous and Giggling

Member: 28686

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I think a technic ball joint would make a good bowling ball.  It's smaller than the Zamor sphere, comes in a few colours (including black) and fits neatly onto a mini figure hand.  

For the seating area, I would extend out the base you have now and then use 1x1 bricks with a stud on the side (facing up), as needed, to place the seats.

Current Mafia: watching from the sidelines

Past Mafia: Aperture Academy - Harriet Slutter - Mafia - Silver City - CMF - After Dark - Ragnarok Now Redux - CMF2

Linkies: flickr - ModularsbyKristel (blog) - FriendsBricks - BrickLink - LPub Tutorial

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Spend wisely, build more and enjoy what you have!

#11 Phoxtane

Phoxtane

Member: 28870

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostKristel, on 07 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I think a technic ball joint would make a good bowling ball.  It's smaller than the Zamor sphere, comes in a few colours (including black) and fits neatly onto a mini figure hand.

Good idea!

I wouldn't use one though. I think it's a tad too small, and it's slightly doughnut-shaped.
Why fix it when you can INNOVATE it?

#12 tomdobs55

tomdobs55

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostF0NIX, on 07 November 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

What about a solution like this? *snip* The Grey and white bricks are your bowling lane. The Brown brick is a headlightbrick, the rest is plates and tiles as you probably can see of the image. This means that you first have to build a brick down first to be able to get that floor behind the lane flush with the lane itself. In the picture it looks like the red tile is not flush with the side of the grey brick, but its just that I forgot to press the bricks good toghether before I took the photo so it is a little off

Great idea F0NIX!  Tried it and it worked great, will be posting more pictures as I'm working with that.

View PostWedge09, on 07 November 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Very interessant WIP :thumbup: :thumbup: Have you intention to make this as a modular?? :wink:

Thanks "Wedge09" I would love to make it modular but I think it would be a little too big.  Right now, I've added another lane and its 26 x 22 so I don't know how much more I can fit without making it gigantic, we'll see what happens when I'm "done"

View PostKristel, on 07 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I think a technic ball joint would make a good bowling ball. It's smaller than the Zamor sphere, comes in a few colours (including black) and fits neatly onto a mini figure hand. For the seating area, I would extend out the base you have now and then use 1x1 bricks with a stud on the side (facing up), as needed, to place the seats.

The technique is a good idea too, "Kristel" very simple which is what I like.  I think I might use a combo of both.  As for the balls, I think I'm going to stick with 1x1 round plates for the time being.
My Collection
My Brickshelf

-Tom
Medford, MA

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LDD, MOC, WIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users