Sign in to follow this  
Laura Beinbrech

Skull Clan Vic Viper for Novvember

Well, I was planning on doing something for Novvember this year, and after about 5 hours of frustration and artists' block, I finally was able to finish my very-own. After seeing some of the ones already posted, I'm almost ashamed to post this here, but I figured someone might like it. I can tell you it was one copper-plated pain in the butt to build this thing, but over all I like how it turned out. I may eventually add more flick-fire missiles later, but here it is for now....

-Begin Transmission-

Classification: Secret

To: Dr. Bones, Chief Director, Federal Intelligence Agency

Subject: Skull Clan Vic Viper Space Fighter

8159485176_a8856c6465_z.jpg

Viper Pose by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Chief Director Bones, as you know, the Skull Clan is one of the most notorious raider groups in the Wastes, somehow able to match even the Federal Dragoons, Airborne Demolitions Unit (ADU) and Lone Star Texas Rangers in combat.

8159485574_d46fb004a2_z.jpg

Side view by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Latest intel gathered by our friends in the ADU indicates that they somehow managed to obtain plans and materials to build a Viper Class space fighter. Initial reports indicate that it's armament consists of four blasters, similar to the ones used on the ADU mobile Command center, twin 40mm auto cannons and dual laser cannons as well as at least two Merculite Missile launchers.

8159453029_35301734c0_z.jpg

Top View by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Attached are photos of the Viper, along with its pilot at an ad-hoc landing pad in a Skull Clan outpost in the Wastes near New Boise.

8159453375_24de23d856_c.jpg

Pilot pic by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

How the Skull Clan has managed to obtain such advanced weapons and materials in the Wastes is still unknown. Even more worrying is where they got the blueprints for a Viper in the first place, since, to the best of our knowledge only the Federal Republic of America and ADU had the plans and production capabilities. We currently have our best intelligence operatives working on finding out.

-End of Transmission-

I hope you enjoyed my Viper, and the back story. I was planning on making a Viper for one of the bad guy factions in my setting, but was having trouble finding enough parts to build anything in the initial color schemes I wanted to (Red & Dark Bley, Dark Bley Light Bley and Black, or Black and Red), when It hit me that I had plenty of parts in White and Black as well as a TON on trans Neon Green parts. So I ended up dismantling my old Bi-Wing Baron set, the Pharaoh's Quest plane and the one (of two) Spyrius combo pack sets that I still had built up and started building. The end result was basically a Neo-Blacktron II color scheme, which I think fits with the Skull Clan's pilot uniforms (the primary colors of the ground pounders is Dark Bley, Light Bley and Black), and gives the possibility of a tie-in with the Grand Duchy of New York (which is what Old-School Blacktron evolved into in my setting, and they use the Blacktron I colors for their space ships).... In addition, it finally gave me a use for a good number of previously useless parts (namely the really long white curved slope bricks as well as those old wings that they used on the original Adventurers biplanes).

I also have two more Vic Vipers in the works that are mods of the Raid VPR Space Police III set, but I'm still not 100% happy with them at the moment....

Really nice MOC and back story :thumbup: :thumbup:

Brick'on Hikaro Takayama :wink: :wink:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I plan on fleshing out the Skull Clan faction a bit more in the reasonably near future....

Wow. Made me think "Futuron!" when I saw the pics.

Heh, I can see how you could easily make that mistake, since Blacktron II had almost the same color scheme as Futuron, but with slightly more black... The main thing that distinguished the two was Blacktron II using trans Neon Green for ALL its transparent pieces, whereas Futuron used Trans Dark Blue (Mostly the canopies and a few bits) and Trans Red, as well as more white....

I know that Blacktron II had a similar colorscheme, it´s just that that´s what it reminded me of.

I agree, this year's VV crop has had some outstandingly good builds ... but it's not about what other people build it's about what you build :wink:

And this is good. It's got some nice shaping to it, looks super swooshable and tons of PEW PEW PEW points. :thumbup:

Though why is the rear engine trans-red/orange, and the side engines neon?

I would also suggest maybe try swapping out those white grill tiles with black ones? might break up that white a bit on the front prongs.

Thanks guys once again... I'll soon have some additional pics of an improved version, along with the rest of the "Skull" clan (as well as more background info)...

I agree, this year's VV crop has had some outstandingly good builds ... but it's not about what other people build it's about what you build :wink:

And this is good. It's got some nice shaping to it, looks super swooshable and tons of PEW PEW PEW points. :thumbup:

Though why is the rear engine trans-red/orange, and the side engines neon?

I would also suggest maybe try swapping out those white grill tiles with black ones? might break up that white a bit on the front prongs.

Thanks for the compliment... I just tend to be really harsh/self deprecating on my own work....

As for the main engine, I used the trans orange skid tile for the simple reason that I THOUGHT I didn't have any more trans neon green small radar dishes... The other day however, I managed to turn up another one, so I replaced that. As for the grills, again, I thought I didn't have any in black (I have a ton in dark bley and white, but not too many in black that aren't tied up in other MOCs), but I did scrounge up two. I was planning on posting the improved version today, but I got side-tracked with another Viper build that ended up taking all day....

...Speaking of which, what is the general policy of posting MOCs that have a heavy clone brand component (this thing is aproximately 50% Kre-O, and is made from one of their Battleship sets)? Should I post it here or in Community?

Okay, here's the improved version, along with a little more backstory:

-Begin Transmission-

Classification: Secret

To: Special Agent 006.5

Subject: Skull Clan Vic Viper Space Fighter

Agent Colloidal Snake, I have had Ñ do a search through the archives at Site R to see if he could find any information on where the Skull Clan could have gotten plans or materials for building a Viper-class fighter. In addition, I made a quick trip to the Wizards' university in Georgetown, DC in order to enlist the aid of their librarian (OOK!) in possibly obtaining more info about the Skull Clan themselves. After a forking over a significant sum of bananas, the Librarian agreed to do some digging through L-Space for the information I wanted. What I found was disturbing, to say the least.

8184036376_9343182d26_z.jpg

Skull VV Pose by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

It seems that the Skull Clan, or Coalition as they call themselves, were founded by a battalion of soldiers belonging to a human-supremacist group from a parallel earth called the Coalition States that blundered through a rift to our world. Somehow they had the dumb luck of coming out right next to the ruins of the Cheyenne Mountain Complex shortly after the Final War ended, and recognized it for what it was. After spending some time excavating the entrance, they gained entry to the complex, and apparently were able to gain access to a top-secret hangar where a Viper prototype was stored (in retrospect, the techs in charge of the hangar probably should have come up with a different security code than ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA[Enter])...

8184036506_f55476391c_z.jpg

Coalition Crew II by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

In this photo, you can see the current leader, along with a grouping of "Dead Boy" troops, an elite Power Armor trooper as well as two Coalition Marines... They apparently have been spreading their influence out from Cheyenne Mountain and Colorado Springs and slaughtering every non-human and magic user they come across. Even more disturbing is mounting evidence that they have not only made contact with the Confederate States of America (probably during one of their forays into Compromised Missouri or Bleeding Kansas), but they have actually formed an alliance and are sharing technology and resources.

I'm tasking you, Colloidal Snake with continuing your mission of monitoring and reporting on Coalition troop movements and actions.

Farewell and good luck.

-Dr. Bones, Chief Director Federal Intelligence Service.

-End Transmission-