kurigan

The loss of HMS Bounty and 2 missing crew

Though this is not exactly Lego related, i thought this community might care to hear the tragic news. Famous movie replica HMS Bounty has sank in hurricane Sandy, some 90 miles off the coast of North Carlonia. After loosing power, the ship began to take on water forcing her crew to abandon ship. As of the posting of this topic 14 of her 16 man crew have been rescued, US Coast Guard are still searching for the missing members. I'm sure we all can agree on the gravity of the loss of such an iconic vessel. For the crew, however let's hope and pray the sea and storm have mercy on these brave mariners.

Don't know how long the article will remain posted, but here's a link to an official news story.

http://fox4kc.com/20...es-around-them/

hms-bounty.jpg?w=400

It's really sad this ship has been lost.

I don't understand what the crew what thinking... they must have known about the storm/hurricane, so why not go to a safe harbor?

I don't understand what the crew what thinking... they must have known about the storm/hurricane, so why not go to a safe harbor?

I was thinking the same thing when I heard the news, it's madness to take a ship like that into a storm

They may have thought that the ship would have been safer at sea ...just like how the Navy sent out dozens of ships from the ports in Virginia. It is safer for the ships to be at sea than riding the waves and surges while slamming into the docks and other ships. Maybe they considered the risks and thought that was safer (?). Anyway, no matter the reason and while the loss of the ship is unfortunate, I hope they find (found) the two missing crew members. My heart goes out to them and their families.

They may have thought that the ship would have been safer at sea ...just like how the Navy sent out dozens of ships from the ports in Virginia. It is safer for the ships to be at sea than riding the waves and surges while slamming into the docks and other ships. Maybe they considered the risks and thought that was safer (?).

That could indeed be a possible reason for the ship being at sea!

They were actually trying to move the ship to Florida where it would be safe when it got caught in the storm.

I think they thought it would be safer at sea, and they were hoping to run well south of it to get out of harms way. I think the shear size of the storm and its area of effect is part of what caused a bad decision. And even then they probably would have been fine if they didn't lose steering control. Very sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those missing or lost.

Poor ship, poor crew members... Mother nature is always stronger...

Are there news of the two sailors ?

I heard the captain was lost with the ship and it was the modern electric pumps which failed that caused all the troubles.....if they had manual pumps.....at least they might have had a chance to save such a famous sailing vessel. :sadnew:

I saw a picture of her in the Daily Telegraph this morning. The dear old girl, she was a beauty. At least she'll be sailing the clouds to infinity.

This is some sad news. As far as I found out, the ship was 200 miles away from the hurican.From my profesional background i can say that that was the best they could have done. these huricanes, although it might not look like it on the news, are very unpredictable and suddenly. Even more if you compare it with the speed a ship can go out of its way, I don't think the bounty can make more then ten knots. So if they would have found out it would hit them in two days they could only get away this much.

But if your pumps fail you can even sink in a pond, but a hurican doesn't rally help then.

And it is true that ships are safer at sea then in port. Ride out the waves, rather then have the waves smack you countles times against the docks or even lift the ship up onto the shore. (plenty of pictures from yachts on the shores)

But if the latest news is the facts about the freak waves, then it also expalains all the top mast gone and the ship floating on its side with air traped inside. Even modern steel ships are sunk by freakwaves in this modern times.

I do hope they can salvage the ship.

Bart