A question to Lego Events veterans about Theft

7 replies to this topic

#1 SheepEater

SheepEater

Member: 28524

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

I know it must probably be pretty rare, but when people steal from your layout when you weren't paying attention, by kids or adults, what kind of parts tend to be missing? minifigs I presume? What else?

#2 SheepEater

SheepEater

Member: 28524

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Mods can you please move this to the General forum? Thanks

#3 tedbeard

tedbeard

Member: 905

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have never had a problem with theft from displays. Not even when we were doing a public show for hundreds of kids without any sort of barrier to the tables - just some small "DO NOT TOUCH" signs and a couple of LUG members keeping an eye on things.

I did however have a bag of minifigs and accessories (including uncommon BrickArms) stolen from me at BrickCon 2011 during the tear-down when, theoretically, it was only AFOLs in the hall. That was the sixth BrickCon I attended and I was rather upset for quite a while thinking that I had been robbed by an AFOL. Looking back there may still have been some non-AFOLs lingering in the hall (it is pretty chaotic when the public hours end on Sunday) so it may not have been conventions attendees but it still ticks me off.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

• Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Once on a BeLUG event a Santa Fee train was stolen from a display *oh2*

View PostSheepEater, on 26 October 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Mods can you please move this to the General forum? Thanks
The event forum is a good place for this topic I believe.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

#5 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa

Member: 14331

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

At Brickworld 2012, I had a bag of small tan plates (studs, corners, etc) taken from behind my display.  Also we lost some minifigures from the Guilds of Historica display.

Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ  | Visual User Guide
Posted ImagePosted ImageLearn how to make comics & animation: Brick Flicks & Comics Academy Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

I've been pretty lucky and haven't had anything substantial disappear. I am by no means a convention veteran, but I was given some sound advice: don't put pricey things within reach - and don't display things that you can't replace...

Ironically, I have stolen more than I have lost/stolen from me. I have an awesome Ley satellite that he left on my space station, and at brickworld I stole darkdragon's trans clear panels cause she forgot to ask them back :look:

So you're more likely to accidentally packup someone else's stuff than out right being stolen - as long as there's someone hanging about. That usually helps stop thefts. I should know - I've been trying to steal Ricey's Firetrucks for a year now- and I've been caught every time :devil:
Got Questions? Need help? New member? Read up on the Members Guidelines and check out the Tutorials Index!

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
Dextrus Flagg - Leader of the Kaliphlin Guild. - I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

#7 RaincloudDustbin

RaincloudDustbin

Member: 25368

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Theft doesn't belong in the LEGO hobby. Unless you're Si-MOCS. :devil:
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/91926269@N06/

Please click on my YouTube channel for great videos based on LEGO and comics. Subscribers greatly appreciated: http://www.youtube.c...ser/ComicBricks

Posted Image  Posted Image

#8 Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac

• Likes his Goblins in a boat

Member: 13585

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

I've only done a few exhibitions, but I've never lost anything....that I noticed.
Parents are usually pretty good at telling their kids to not touch, and I've even seen a minifig returned by parent with the "this was on the floor" story, but with a guilty looking rug rat in toe. :look:

And Si's dodgy activities don't surprise me at all....I knew he was shifty. :grin:

May you be touched by his noodly appendage
Posted Image Posted Image
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials| Eurobricks FAQ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users