Coastguard HQ Modular Building

Modular

30 replies to this topic

#1 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Member: 19010

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

My last update for my City layout project was way back in July, however this is not due to me doing nothing but the exact opposite. I have spent the past few months building the Coastguard HQ building, I have not shown any progress as wanted to wait till it was complete until I revealed it. The building is based on the Fire Station Modular Building.
To start with the building has the same colour scheme from the 2008 Coastguard City sub theme, this made the building very interesting when building it as not everything comes in orange. Also the building is built across two baseplates a blue 32×32 one and a  road one that is used in most large City buildings like the recent police station. This meant a building challenge in getting the look right and also fitting it on to the base plates.
I built the building first on LDD and I rebuilt it a few times until I was happy with it, the original plan was to have to buildings back to back and connect but I decided to build one large building. The building is double the depth of normal modulars but they will still sit next to the building at the road side leaving a 32×16 gap at the back. So if I extend outwards I can add more dockside behind the other buildings.

For more details see here: http://brickfanatics...-coastguard-hq/

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
LEGO Ambassador for UK fans connected to Brick Fanatics

Brick Fanatics - A UK Based LEGO site, daily news from the world of LEGO. Plus we review sets and feature MOC's and much more.

#2 scottwb2010

scottwb2010

Member: 13331

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Great Mod of the Fire Brigade into a Coastguard station Bricksan. I bet it was hard collecting all the orange parts you needed. I love how the water craft come out the rear of the station and slip into the water like it does at a lifeboar station. You have just given me the nudge to get photoing and posting my Mod's of the fire brigade although they are still fire stations. But again excellent job you have done there.

#3 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Scott, it made life interesting as I also bought every element in "new" condition just to make it even more challenging, I plan on filming a little video to cover all the details a photo may have missed.

Brick Fanatics - A UK Based LEGO site, daily news from the world of LEGO. Plus we review sets and feature MOC's and much more.

#4 Androo

Androo

Member: 32626

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Brilliant conversion and very colourful.

I'd love to see it combined with some other waterfront buildings.

#5 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

That is the plan I will update my City Project topic, with a complete overview of how my layout is taking shape.

#6 LEGO Guy Bri

LEGO Guy Bri

Member: 13958

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

Awesome Coast Guard MOC Bricksan   :classic:
-I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't you tell me how to do what you told me to do... I know when to use finesse

#7 Athos

Athos

• Sloppiness Seeker

Member: 84

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I really like the double bay garage.

Steve

#8 dongo

dongo

Member: 14901

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

I love the colours, and the effect of the water is brilliant.
Great Mod.

#9 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Cheers everyone, it's great to hear feedback :-)

#10 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Excellent take on the modular fire station and flipping it into a coast guard base.....different and kind of funky in those colours.....I like it ! :grin_wub:
Brick On 'Bricksan' ! :wink:

#11 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

View Postlightningtiger, on 21 October 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

Excellent take on the modular fire station and flipping it into a coast guard base.....different and kind of funky in those colours.....I like it ! :grin_wub:
Brick On 'Bricksan' ! :wink:

Thanks pal, the reason for the colour scheme is they are the same as those used in the 2008 Coastguard sub-theme

#12 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Welcoming assassin

Member: 1094

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Great MOD, Bricksan! :wub_drool:
Normally I prefer less bright colors for modulars, but in this case the orange fits perfectly!
The interior is great, what brick is the 1x3x? wall-computer?
And on the back I would have skipped the "2012", it looks better if it is on one side only. But that's just nit-picking on high level. :wink:
Posted Image A PF XS motor! Even when it has been deleted on the Cuusoo page: We need one!

#13 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thanks, the brick in question is a custom brick from the website Citizen Bricks, I felt it added a unique touch to the control room. I had thought of having 2012 one one side only but when done in plain gray it did not look right. :-)

#14 lostdriveway

lostdriveway

Member: 14732

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Excellent work!

Would love to see a side shot especially of the back and the boat ramp area!

#15 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Excellent coastguard HQ! The orange looks great and the helicopter landing pad and equipment inside are nice details :thumbup:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#16 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postlostdriveway, on 22 October 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Excellent work!

Would love to see a side shot especially of the back and the boat ramp area!

I will take a side photo when I do a overview of the entire layout so far :)

#17 harton

harton

Member: 30049

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I like it becuase it make both of them! The brick effect is clever and I really appreciate the corniche and the blacony too. Adding 2012 is also a great touch. The interior seems to work well! I'm just having some trouble with your door on the roof...

Well done.

Architecture is everywhere, architecture is in Lego, in fact Lego is architecture.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
My Flickr page      Join or See Evolocity Group

#18 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postharton, on 22 October 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

I like it becuase it make both of them! The brick effect is clever and I really appreciate the corniche and the blacony too. Adding 2012 is also a great touch. The interior seems to work well! I'm just having some trouble with your door on the roof...

Well done.

In what way?

I had thought about altering it and having it upright but could not get it to look right but ideas welcomed to improve it

#19 Wedge09

Wedge09

Member: 29763

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Very good work :thumbup: :thumbup:

I like a lot the biliards :wink:

My gallery on Flickr, My gallery on Brickshelf as WedgeNT, My (tiny) collection & don't forget to visit my new blog Life in a Brick

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alexander Vandangant, Level 21 2/3 Hunter, 99-year-old male Elf in Sandy's HeroicaRPG

and proud member of Avalonia

Wedge09, proud member of the Rebel Alliance in Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

Weyrdág, in Sandy's Cruel Angel’s Thesis ~ Downfall of Heroes

Come to ridiscover the Guilds of Historica

P.S: M¥ n4m3$ 1$ W3Ð9309

#20 PsyKater

PsyKater

• I am Adriano. Please be nice.

Member: 30022

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostBricksan, on 22 October 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

I had thought of having 2012 one one side only but when done in plain gray it did not look right. :-)

Maybe you find a brick built logo or ornament that fits there!?

Edited by PsyKater, 23 October 2012 - 02:10 PM.

- PsyKater [psyː'kɑtɐ]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Stigveladi Kötturin, the Ghost Buster

in Sandy's Heroica! The RPG!

247 years old Dwarven Mage

[stats] | [story] | [intro] | [currently on the Fields of Glory]

Timezone: CEST (UTC/GMT+2)

Retak Yps, Nephilim Necromancer

in Sandy's Heroica RPG - Cruel Angel's Thesis

2013 years old male Fenerian Necromancer

Posted Image

We opened a new BrickLink Store for you: steinreich24.com - From fans for fans! Learn more about our idea in the Bazaar!

#21 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Possibly :-)

#22 Karin (kvdnberg)

Karin (kvdnberg)

Member: 7271

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

This is great! I'm building the Fire Brigade right now and love the dark red but the orange is terrific here too, works so well with the teal. Love the idea of the boat ramps.

#23 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostKarin (kvdnberg), on 23 October 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

This is great! I'm building the Fire Brigade right now and love the dark red but the orange is terrific here too, works so well with the teal. Love the idea of the boat ramps.

Thanks but one thing there is no teal on the build ??

#24 AncientDayz

AncientDayz

Member: 30184

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Like holodoc said above, I really prefer to stay away from bright colors on my modular street (I almost screamed when the rumor was going around that the Palace Cinema was yellow), but this works extremely well. It is actually tempting me to try something in orange. I also really like the double garage. Makes me wish the FB was double. This is really good - nice job!

#25 Bricksan

Bricksan

• Bib 6126 eats miles

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostAncientDayz, on 23 October 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Like holodoc said above, I really prefer to stay away from bright colors on my modular street (I almost screamed when the rumor was going around that the Palace Cinema was yellow), but this works extremely well. It is actually tempting me to try something in orange. I also really like the double garage. Makes me wish the FB was double. This is really good - nice job!

Thanks, I am glad I kept with the colour scheme. If you use the colours the right way the end result is really effective. For the double garage it took a few attempts on LDD to get the right look but still keeping with the overall style of the fire station. I will post some images of how the side looks when I update my City Project topic later.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modular

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users