Discontinuation Speculation

10219 Maersk

213 replies to this topic

#1 eliminator

eliminator

Member: 21038

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Any thoughts on whether or not the Maersk set will have a 3-year production run like the Emerald Night, or will it likely be a very limited run since they're using the Maersk name?

I'm considering moving it up on my priority list....
Posted Image

#2 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Member: 7868

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

I would get the Lego 10219 Maersk Train set soon.  From the Shop.Lego.com description of the set, note that the product is licensed from the A.P. Moller Maersk Group (while the generic Emerald Night set is not licensed).  If sales are low and the license costs a lot to renew each year, perhaps the Lego Maersk train set will not have a 3-year production run.  

Also, the "Maersk Blue" brick color is quite rare -- they are in demand for making MOCs with a "Baby Blue" color.

Tell Santa Claus to bring you a train!  Posted Image  

Posted Image  Posted Image

Edited by DLuders, 19 November 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#3 eliminator

eliminator

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Well, I couldn't resist. USA ToysRUS is having a great pre-Balck Friday sale. I got 2x Maersk trains with free shipping for the grand total of $180. (BYGO 50% + $15 holiday promo).

In Canada, these cost $155 each plus tax.....
Posted Image

#4 patje

patje

Member: 999

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

that is cheap
:wink:
interested in legotrains& bldg.  see my Internet site
Visit My Website
Visit My brickshelf page
Visit My Legotrainforum

#5 eliminator

eliminator

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

View Postpatje, on 19 November 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

that is cheap
:wink:

yea, I'm pretty happy with the deal! I think I might just keep one MISB for the future.....or pillage it for the containers and cars and sell the loco

Edited by eliminator, 19 November 2011 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image

#6 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Tell Santa Claus to bring you a train!  
He did already.....big kid I am, couldn't wait to Christmas to build it ! :laugh:
I think I might just keep one MISB for the future.....or pillage it for the containers and cars and sell the loco
Ah, you could have the second loco attached still to the first.....steep hill-climbing ! :wink:
Avalonia Forever !

#7 382nd Legionnaire

382nd Legionnaire

Member: 7179

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

I'm actually surprised to see the Emerald Night is still around. I made the mistake of buying the Emerald Night then the Maersk train. I absolutely love the Maersk train and wish I had 2 instead of the Emerald Night.

#8 nfl_solo

nfl_solo

Member: 6768

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

I heard a rumor at Brickworld last summer that the Maersk train will not be around long 2012 will be its final year. No other date given.

#9 382nd Legionnaire

382nd Legionnaire

Member: 7179

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

View Postnfl_solo, on 20 November 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

I heard a rumor at Brickworld last summer that the Maersk train will not be around long 2012 will be its final year. No other date given.

A good set to compare it to is the Maersk tanker. As I remember that set was not around for a very long time. The Maersk train has been around for more than half a year already.

#10 lostdriveway

lostdriveway

Member: 14732

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

I live in Australia (where they are $199 from lego.com.au), but I'm heading to Texas in Feb for a conference so I plan on stopping by either TRU or a Lego store and picking up at least 2-3 sets. At $119US which is around $115 AUD at the moment, its definitely a huge saving. Plan on bringing back a whole suitcase full of lego!

#11 eliminator

eliminator

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

I cant see this set hanging around for years. Besides the train folks, who really buys this set? At least the Emerald Night is a "cool green steam engine", whereas the Maersk train is basically a model. And it's not exactly the cheapest Lego set out there...
Posted Image

#12 medib

medib

• Finally Found the Other Half

Member: 95

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

Comparing the Maersk's availabilty to Emerald Night's availability is like comparing apples to oranges.

For 1, the Maersk is a licensed model where as the Emerald Night is a lego original.  Maersk has the final say on how many
units get produced and gets a share in the revenue for each unit made.

2, Emerald Night is a steamer and may or may not appeal to a certain taste of Train Enthusiast, where as the Maersk is a
regular (Diesel?) locomotive.  I don't really have a handle on which train would have greater appeal to non-train enthusiasts.

3. In my opinion, having 2 cars (meaning, you can put containers on each of the cars) besides the locomotive makes the Maersk
more marketable.  Buying two sets, and you have a start to a decent train (two loco's and 4 container cars).  The Emerald
night has a very nice steamer locomotive, a nice tender, and a very nice pullman passenger car.  You have to buy more than
3 sets to get a nice train.  If Lego would have released a companion set for the Emerald Night, you would have seen the
Emerald Night sell out a lot sooner.  

Case in point, if you look at Bricklink, you can see that there are a high amount of Emerald Night's selling just the locomotive
and tender, because the seller needed the passenger car for his/her collection.

4. The Maersk blue color appeals to a certain type of collector, versus the dark green maybe appeals to others.  To each his own
I guess.
Posted Image Would do anything for the other half!

Posted Image

#13 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

Maybe, maybe not, I think the lifespan of most sets is 2 years, but you just never know and it isn't worth risking it. I need to get mine soon though too :head_back:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#14 brickmack

brickmack

Member: 12146

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

I hope it is around for a while, though it probably won't be (the other Maersk set didn't last very long if I remember correctly). I'm not really a big train fan (well, I am, but I just haven't gotten into LEGO trains because of the cost...) but I would like to get it eventually for the Maersk blue parts.

#15 3D LEGO

3D LEGO

Member: 686

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

One thing to consider is that unlike most companies Maersk Line has a habit of looking for ways to publicize themselves, whither it be publicity stunts like the Union Pacific Challenger steam locomotive pulling a string of American double stacks or special livery paint jobs of BNSF and Norfolk-Southern Railways locomotives (With the latter being the source for the Maersk Line locomotive). For example look at how many LEGO Maersk sets there have been through the years or how many times the Maersk Line Freighter has been released?

That being said they normally have a short life span, but if things in the train department keep on there current course, there is bound to some formidable replacement. Just look at the emerald night; it is still around though mostly due to popularity but also because it would create a large void that would need filling.

3D LEGO

#16 domboy

domboy

Member: 7102

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

View Post3D LEGO, on 21 November 2011 - 05:05 AM, said:

One thing to consider is that unlike most companies Maersk Line has a habit of looking for ways to publicize themselves, whither it be publicity stunts like the Union Pacific Challenger steam locomotive pulling a string of American double stacks or special livery paint jobs of BNSF and Norfolk-Southern Railways locomotives (With the latter being the source for the Maersk Line locomotive). For example look at how many LEGO Maersk sets there have been through the years or how many times the Maersk Line Freighter has been released?

Well, it worked. Before the train I had never heard of Maersk, but now I see it everywhere.

View Post382nd Legionnaire, on 20 November 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

I'm actually surprised to see the Emerald Night is still around. I made the mistake of buying the Emerald Night then the Maersk train. I absolutely love the Maersk train and wish I had 2 instead of the Emerald Night.

For me it was the Maersk that finally pulled me into Lego trains, but once that happened I knew I had to get the Emerald Night, so I'm really glad it was still around. I really like both, but the EN had ended up being my favorite...

#17 pdxbricks

pdxbricks

Member: 8595

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Just bought my second Maersk train, so now I have two of each: Maersk and EN  :sweet: Each one is great in it's own way. If Maersk train will not be around for long, I'll probably get more.

Edited by pdxbricks, 24 November 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#18 proraptor

proraptor

Member: 22326

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

The maersk is the train that got me back into legos it looks so real for a lego product.....i bought emerald night though and nothing beats it in styling.....its a beautiful train
Train Noob

#19 Loggii

Loggii

Member: 21468

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

The Maersk train also got me back into Lego trains after a few years away from it, now I have three  :wub:  I converted one locomotive to a GE AC6000 though. Also got the EN and I love it for its complexity but I love diesel electrics more. Definitely think you should move it up in priority, its a great set and might not be around as long. Although, I'm a bit surprised they have two cargo trains out at the same time, so who knows...

#20 proraptor

proraptor

Member: 22326

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

They actually have 3 cargo trains out right now
Train Noob

#21 MojoLego

MojoLego

Member: 9590

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Hogwarts Express is sold out at S@H in the U.S., Amazon, & Toys R Us. It is early in the Christmas shopping season for a particular train to be unavailable at so many places. Is this a sign that the set is at the end of its run?

#22 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

We could almost have a single topic for every train that was ever released by LEGO. I'm going to merge this recent question (future of Hogwarts Express) with that of the Maersk. We'll use this topic to discuss the future of any set that is still available (and those in the future).

#23 KyleJohnson11

KyleJohnson11

Member: 13413

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

I picked up my Emerald Night last night 25% off with a 20% scratcher.  I will probably getting the Maersk Train when I go back on Boxing Day.

Posted Image

World Wide Shipping at my BrickLink Store! (Click above)

#24 stacker9000

stacker9000

• Likes His Maersk Moonshine

Member: 15328

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

Well, I have one more question to add,
I do expect the MAERSK set to be short term due to its licenseing,
But, as it is a great locomotive design, Do you think LEGO will produce it in a different color or set as a Lego original, or possibly reproduce it under a different license such as CONRAIL or something similar.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

EN, Imperial Flagship and others were discounted and are now sold out on LSAH, is this the end ?? :sceptic:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 10219, Maersk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users