Medieval diorama

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Redhead1982

Redhead1982

• Silver Redhead Reviewer

Member: 23488

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

This time I'm presenting myour latest creation, built together with my boyfriend. Since the two of us own 2 copies of Kingdoms Joust set (10223), we decided to build a medieval diorama based around the Joust set. Diorama is based on 3x5 baseplates (32x32) and is going to be presented this weekend at KockeFest (Slovenian LUG's exhibition in Ljubljana).

Posted Image

One of the residents is returning to the inner part of the village with horse-driven cart, passing the guards.

Posted Image

Outside the gates there are pastures on one side of the road, and some trees surrounding a small lake on the other side. At the lake, fisherman is catching his lunch.

Posted Image

Behind the gates, people gathered to observe the jousting of knights. There's a special place for two royal families and nobility on one side of the jousting field, and the commoners are standing on the other side.

Posted Image

At the end of the jousting field are pavilions where the knights can prepare for their turn at the jousting field.

Posted Image

Behind the jousting field, stands the castle, surrounded by a ditch.

Posted Image

The castle is accessible via drawbridge, that can be lifted by turning the wheel at the roof of the middle tower.

Posted Image

At one of the corner towers, another guard is joining his colleagues at the top.

Posted Image

Behind the castle wall, there's a courtyard, where some of the guards are enjoying a meal and drinks, and the others are moving a chest to a different location.

Posted Image
The castle was deliberately build incomplete (with one side only) and is likely to be extended in the future. Besides, the castle is modular to allow access to the interiors, which is partly furnished (but not yet photographed).

More pictures at higher resolution can be found at my Flickr account.

#2 brodey1

brodey1

Member: 30032

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

This looks great, excellent castle.

#3 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Superb layout! The kingdoms joust gatehouse and tents fit right into your MOC and the landscaping is excellent :thumbup:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentleman, Farmer, Watchman, Protector, Frost Berserker, Manager, Gatekeeper, and Strategic Heavy Weight in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Posted Image

#4 Sammael

Sammael

Member: 3848

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I'd love to see this MOC in person, hopefully it'll be shown at more than one event and I'll be able to come. I love the composition, the details, landscaping... it's fantastic.

#5 TeufelHund

TeufelHund

Member: 15073

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

Very nice work - The Kingdoms Joust is one of my all-time favourite sets and it is nice to see it integrated here into a larger MOC. I like the modifications you've made to expand it (like the larger tents).

Great work and looking forward to seeing the expanded castle.

#6 SirBlake

SirBlake

Member: 28826

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

This is amazing! I can honestly say this is one of my top 5 favorite MOCs ever. Superb work, sir.

#7 Kayne

Kayne

Member: 23719

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Very cool!  The joust is one of the better Kingdoms sets, but this adds a lot to it and makes a great layout

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Akhen-Kaliphlin

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)

#8 Vindicare

Vindicare

Member: 12542

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

Very cool build! I'm drooling over the double Joust there. I'm trotting to catch up on purchases so I can get a second. I like the layout here, with all the action around the jousting area and the landscape is fantastic! Well done you two.
Clone Army-147 & counting...

#9 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts

• Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?

Member: 14752

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

This is excelent and huge! I'm glad I'll be able to see it in person this weekend.

Posted Image

#10 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Member: 4757

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Oh wow, this is amazing! I love the castle at the end and the tilt field (Jousting field) looks perfect too.

If Anime has taught me anything, we're gonna need a gunsword

-

Its the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Ferrik

Ferrik

Member: 16252

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

It's great to see how you expanded the Joust set. The castle looks spectacular with the darker and lighter shades of grey and the drawbridge is a great feature. :wink:
Mafia History

Played as
Posted Image
Betty in The Pearl Mafia.

My Academy-approved reviews: 9469 Gandalf Arrives, 8236 Bike Burner, 30027 Reindeer, 8737 Toa Hordika (Bionicle),8514 Power

#12 Duce

Duce

Member: 29969

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Nice use of the joust sets, good features and love the details like the area behind the cart showing wheel marks etc.

#13 Kristel

Kristel

• Drunk, Nervous and Giggling

Member: 28686

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

This is awesome. :wub_drool:   The doubling up of the Joust building for entrance to the village works really well.  I love the landscaping, particularly around the village houses, and the atmosphere you have created by having all the spectators for the joust.  The castle wall itself is very impressive and looks quite formidable as the backdrop to this diorama.

Current Mafia: watching from the sidelines

Past Mafia: Aperture Academy - Harriet Slutter - Mafia - Silver City - CMF - After Dark - Ragnarok Now Redux - CMF2

Linkies: flickr - ModularsbyKristel (blog) - FriendsBricks - BrickLink - LPub Tutorial

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Be strong!

#14 Legogal

Legogal

• poet laureate

Member: 23979

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Wow! Combining two sets really expands the possibilities, and you two have made good use of all of the parts.
This is one fine MOC! Congratulations!

#15 Redhead1982

Redhead1982

• Silver Redhead Reviewer

Member: 23488

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for great comments, everyone!

View Postsoccerkid6, on 14 October 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Superb layout! The kingdoms joust gatehouse and tents fit right into your MOC and the landscaping is excellent :thumbup:

View PostSammael, on 14 October 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

I'd love to see this MOC in person, hopefully it'll be shown at more than one event and I'll be able to come. I love the composition, the details, landscaping... it's fantastic.
I used this as an opportunity to learn some new techniques, and doing landscape is great for that.

View PostLegocrazy81, on 15 October 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

Very cool build! I'm drooling over the double Joust there. I'm trotting to catch up on purchases so I can get a second. I like the layout here, with all the action around the jousting area and the landscape is fantastic! Well done you two.

View PostLegogal, on 15 October 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Wow! Combining two sets really expands the possibilities, and you two have made good use of all of the parts.
This is one fine MOC! Congratulations!
It was our first time building together, and Redbeard hasn't build much up till now (he usually comments and improves my MOCs with some extra detailing). I'm quite happy with the results of our collaboration.

View PostMstrOfPppts, on 15 October 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

This is excelent and huge! I'm glad I'll be able to see it in person this weekend.
See you on the weekend! :sweet:

View PostKristel, on 15 October 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

This is awesome. :wub_drool:   The doubling up of the Joust building for entrance to the village works really well.  I love the landscaping, particularly around the village houses, and the atmosphere you have created by having all the spectators for the joust.  The castle wall itself is very impressive and looks quite formidable as the backdrop to this diorama.
I agree, the Joust set is perfect as a starting point. That's where we started and the rest developed with time.

Edited by Redhead1982, 15 October 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#16 Wedge09

Wedge09

• One-shot kill, one-shot kill, one-shot kill!

Member: 29763

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Absolutely fantastic work :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love all of this layout, im particularly the castel :wub_drool: :wub_drool:

My gallery on Flickr, don't forget to visit my new blog Life in a Brick

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Alexander Vandangant, 99-year-old male Elf Hunter in Sandy's HeroicaRPG

Alexander Vandangant, proud member of Avalonia in the Guilds of Historica

Wedge09, proud member of the Rebel Alliance in Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

Alexander "Wedge" Vandangant, proud member of the Kawashita group in Andromeda's Gates

Come to ridiscover the Guilds of Historica

#17 Stiel

Stiel

Member: 9734

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Lots of great details! My favorite is the sand green house and the trees, but the rest is just as awesome. Side note: if you want to add one more knight to the tourney, the KKII shadow knights (Vladek & co.) had a nice barding and the dark red/black tent would also look good.

#18 Jimbobulus

Jimbobulus

Member: 29624

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Love the tracks from the cart :)
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

#19 Kai NRG

Kai NRG

• Propping up Historica's freedom

Member: 27955

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Great work on the back castle especially, the entire thing looks excellent.  :thumbup:

Ageven Deraim, Lord of Auner, Representative of Qarkyr, High Lord of Kaliphlin, Graduated Doctor of Petraea University, Vice Admiral of Kaliphlin Fleet, Exalted Third Centurion of Ulandus

Guy K. Wynd, Pilot, Octan Corporation

Guy Wyndzon, MCTC Leader, Secretary of State, Member of Eslandola's High Council

Posted Image____Posted Image____Posted Image

--Check out the Guilds of Historica!--Join Eslandola!--gid617--Flickr--The Brick Blogger--

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved, and your house."

#20 kibosh

kibosh

Member: 17620

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

This really is a beautiful model.  The attention to detail is outstanding.  The things like the cart tracks are very clever, and well thought out.  Excellent job.  Thanks for sharing!
Check out my LEGO blog at All About The Bricks!

#21 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

• Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

This is very impressive. I love the landscaping. The exterior trees and the muddy trail with the cart. I really love the interior jousting area with the stands for the nobility and the commoners. Very clever.

I really like how you added in an actual scene with people doing jobs. Every castle needs two guards to move things from point A to point B. And in a few hours, they'll move it back to justify their pay scale :laugh: .

Overall great scene! I wanted The Joust when I first saw it, but all of these other great sets came out, so I was deciding not to get it. Now I want it again! Thanks a lot! :tongue:
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr

#22 Spartan (UkrBricks)

Spartan (UkrBricks)

Member: 31889

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

WOW!! This MOC looks fantastic!!! This is a Camelot from Merlin on BBC :wub_drool:

#23 Captain Flint

Captain Flint

• A jaunty time for all

Member: 14289

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Great work! At the event will be a really big feast for the eyes. It looks really huge and the two Kingdoms Joust look great together.

#24 Cara

Cara

• Green Captain of the Flying Piranha

Member: 12904

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

How great! And wonderful that you worked together.
Guilds of Historica: Proud Mitgardian.  Astrun Egilsdóttir, Journeyman Bard
Tournament of Retribution III: Bluecoat, Deck Scrubber - Redcoats, Fear my Brush!

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My Flickr Album
Obsessively making square bricks into round shapes.

#25 smitty9999

smitty9999

Member: 19632

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

Great work.  If you're going to expand on it in the future, it would be nice if you could add the Medieval Market Village and the Mill Village Raid to the set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users