[MOC] RotJ speederbike - alternative build from Desert Skiff 9496

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Brix

Brix

Member: 16992

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Posted Image

Note: I'd posted this a week ago but it was lost in the recent outage. I've since rebuilt it from scratch, making a number of changes along the way.

Behold the speederbike from Return of the Jedi, built entirely from the Desert Skiff 9496 set. I obviously had to make a number of compromises due to limited parts and colour selection, but I'm still happy with the result.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited to fix broken Flickr code on 2014-01-10.

Edited by Brix, 10 January 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#2 Bob De Quatre

Bob De Quatre

• Salmon Slapper

Member: 29683

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Like I said earlier...

That speederbike looks great :thumbup:

Building something out of the limited pieces of a given set is a really good and exciting challenge. You have to be inventive and creative.

I think EB should hold a building contest open to every themes (pirates, starwars, etc... except maybe technic) and the rule would be to use only bricks from a number of various sets, so every builder start with the same bricks... But maybe I'm the only one interested in this kind of challenge, and maybe it's already been done here :wink:

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#3 Ackbar

Ackbar

Member: 18170

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

I totally agree with the previous post.

This is a great build with limited pieces, the shape and feel of the speederbike is captured indeed.

And contests with limited pieces to certain sets is a really interesting challenge!

#4 Walter

Walter

• Back, but still drowning!

Member: 16053

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

That is very clever, especially considering how limited you were on parts. *oh2*
Posted Image

#5 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

Member: 22141

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

Really nice improvements Brix! I especially like the streamlined seat, modified control arms, and the addition of the pipe underneath is brilliant!

P.S. Thanks for the additional pics you sent me so I could make my own! I love it! Maybe you could send me some more, so I can make this improved version? :wink:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Flickr

#6 wokajablocka

wokajablocka

Member: 12884

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

The new improvements are great and I like how you have mounted the bike on the stand now and got rid of Boba's head. :thumbup:  Great work with the limited parts!
Brickshelf

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

May the Brick be with you!

#7 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

How did this not get blogged? :wacko: It's awesome. :thumbup:

The way each of those large curved pieces has been used, it's as if they were picked out just for this model, not for the Desert Skiff set. Really, really great parts usage.

Posted Image

#8 Brix

Brix

Member: 16992

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Wow. Thanks Brickdoctor - it's an honour to have my MOC on the blog!

I agree about the design of those curved pieces. As soon as I saw the desert skiff set, the first thing I thought was that they'd be perfect for a speederbike. I didn't realise that the rest of the set would lend itself so well to putting one together.

#9 DFOL

DFOL

Member: 10119

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

I remember complimenting this incredibly creative build before, but apparently that reaction got lost. It's amazing what you can do with a given selection of pieces, and this speederbike would've been a good build even if it hadn't been built with the current limitations. Well done Brix!

View PostBob De Quatre, on 12 October 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Building something out of the limited pieces of a given set is a really good and exciting challenge. You have to be inventive and creative.

I think EB should hold a building contest open to every themes (pirates, starwars, etc... except maybe technic) and the rule would be to use only bricks from a number of various sets, so every builder start with the same bricks... But maybe I'm the only one interested in this kind of challenge, and maybe it's already been done here :wink:

This sounds like a fantastic idea, especially if you use sets that are affordable and that most of us have or can easily pick up.
Dutch Fan Of LEGO

#10 Bob De Quatre

Bob De Quatre

• Salmon Slapper

Member: 29683

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostDFOL, on 11 November 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

This sounds like a fantastic idea, especially if you use sets that are affordable and that most of us have or can easily pick up.

I'll try to contact EB staff about it.

And I'm absolutely amazed by your new avatar... because I've the exact same fig on my desk and I wanted to shot it today to change my avatar... :sweet:

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#11 DFOL

DFOL

Member: 10119

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostBob De Quatre, on 11 November 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

I'll try to contact EB staff about it.

And I'm absolutely amazed by your new avatar... because I've the exact same fig on my desk and I wanted to shot it today to change my avatar... :sweet:

Great minds think alike apparently! :laugh:  I still needed an avatar, and this was the custom Sith i came up with as a sig-fig. I had an alternative idea for a more neutral sig-fig, but since i have mostly SW characters in my collection i don't have the minifig parts to make anything else. :blush:

Edited by DFOL, 11 November 2012 - 01:32 PM.

Dutch Fan Of LEGO

#12 Esurient

Esurient

• aka Romeo

Member: 17675

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Fantastic build. I suppose it is not to minifig scale isn't it?
Now appearing as Elin Surefoot 397 years old Dwarven Cleric in Sandy's Cruel Angel's Thesis

#13 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Wow, this whole MOC is spot on with the pieces you had available.  :thumbup:  For some reason, I can't stop looking at it. :blush:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 Assassin, In Heroica RPG, On Quest #125
Flickr, Bricklink Store, Facebook

#14 seahorsy

seahorsy

Member: 29908

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

It is much better :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users